Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2009, 09:08 AM

75 posts, read 201,019 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone --

I am new to the forum, however, I am sure this question has been asked over and over again - however, I wanted to confirm my own personal ambitions as well as make sure I have the right strategic plan in order to move to Chicago...

I am originally from Miami, Fl however, I am planning to move this Fall to Chi-town. My parents think that I am crazy because of the weather and the fac that they think my expense breakdown is stupid.

I am single, no kids, no furniture, do not watch TV, will air-mattress it up for a while and I am just looking to leave Little Cuba...I am looking for a studio, preferrably either in the Northside [Rogers Park, Lincoln Park, Evanston] or in South Shore area. I've been to Chicago several times, and I know the gist of how the city works...This is how I figured out my expenses....I add up every and multiply it by 6 months - so this way I have enough $$$ saved up to allot myself about a good 4-5 months of decent living expenses...

Rent -- $500-$700
Gas/Transportation - $200
Food - $200
Cell Phone - $100
Utilities - $200
Miscellaneous Expenses (Haircuts, Dry Cleaning, Entertainment) - $200

That comes out to $1600 a month and multiplying that by 6 -- I have a good $9600 target to save...Plus, I am going back to school and hopefully I will get financial aid that will allot me an additional $4k [hopefully] but I am not trying to rely on that...

My parents believe that I need like $20k to move...I think, if you want to absolutely safe and secure and give yourself so much cushion $$$, $12k would be the highest max...What do you all think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 09:15 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
Hello everyone --

I am new to the forum, however, I am sure this question has been asked over and over again - however, I wanted to confirm my own personal ambitions as well as make sure I have the right strategic plan in order to move to Chicago...

I am originally from Miami, Fl however, I am planning to move this Fall to Chi-town. My parents think that I am crazy because of the weather and the fac that they think my expense breakdown is stupid.

I am single, no kids, no furniture, do not watch TV, will air-mattress it up for a while and I am just looking to leave Little Cuba...I am looking for a studio, preferrably either in the Northside [Rogers Park, Lincoln Park, Evanston] or in South Shore area. I've been to Chicago several times, and I know the gist of how the city works...This is how I figured out my expenses....I add up every and multiply it by 6 months - so this way I have enough $$$ saved up to allot myself about a good 4-5 months of decent living expenses...

Rent -- $500-$700
Gas/Transportation - $200
Food - $200
Cell Phone - $100
Utilities - $200
Miscellaneous Expenses (Haircuts, Dry Cleaning, Entertainment) - $200

That comes out to $1600 a month and multiplying that by 6 -- I have a good $9600 target to save...Plus, I am going back to school and hopefully I will get financial aid that will allot me an additional $4k [hopefully] but I am not trying to rely on that...

My parents believe that I need like $20k to move...I think, if you want to absolutely safe and secure and give yourself so much cushion $$$, $12k would be the highest max...What do you all think?
You can probably find a cheap studio for 600. Utilities you can probably cut in half. If you find a studio w/heat included, you'll save even more. If you don't bring a car, you can budget $85 for a monthly CTA pass. I think you'll probably find you spend more on food/miscellaneous expenses, but not more than the extra amount budgeted in other areas.

So, yes. You won't be living large. But you can definitely get by on that.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:19 AM

Well - I will be bringing a car, but from what I've noticed with Chicago is that its not like NYC where u absolutely need to ride the train - however, the new parking meters kind of force you to do such....Utilities - I am hoping I can get internet DSL 6.0 for about $50 and spend no more than $60 on electricity. I know a lot of Chicago apts include gas and water in the rent....

Old 04-01-2009, 09:21 AM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
Well, I moved with WAY less than 9600 bucks, and I made it. Then again, that was 5 years ago when the job market was a lot stronger, so I had a decent-paying full time job within a month.

The only number that's probably off is food, but that's only if you eat out a good bit, and if you include grabbing a sandwich here and there, that's easy to do. If you're just talking about groceries, 200 is plenty, especially once you learn where to find the best deals in your neighborhood.

You mention school: Where?

Old 04-01-2009, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Well, I moved with WAY less than 9600 bucks, and I made it. Then again, that was 5 years ago when the job market was a lot stronger, so I had a decent-paying full time job within a month.

The only number that's probably off is food, but that's only if you eat out a good bit, and if you include grabbing a sandwich here and there, that's easy to do. If you're just talking about groceries, 200 is plenty, especially once you learn where to find the best deals in your neighborhood.

You mention school: Where?
DePaul University......The job market is not as strong as it was some 5 years ago, however, Chicago is one of the best markets for sales professionals. After I graduated from college, I moved to Atlanta and there I kind of fiddled around for 6 months until I got extremely aggressive and "creative". Nonetheless, Miami is one of the worse places for professionals, especially if you are not indirectly tied to the tourism/hospitality management sector and if you do not speak espanol. Also, Miami's rental market is ****ed, the traffic insane (someone dies everyday from a car accident) and the people extremely underclass...

Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,836 times
I believe Depual offers a Upass where you can get a CTA pass that lasts for the school year ultra cheap. I would also look at living with some roomates, you can get a much nicer place in a good area for around 600 bucks. I have a friend who attends depaul and lives in LP who pays 500ish for a very nice place with a few roomates. But then of course you kinda have to be a people person. But with 10k I think you would be more then fine especially since your attending school

Old 04-01-2009, 10:29 AM

Its weird how people from South Florida generally think they are apart of the "South". I can see if my parents and I lived in Selma, Charlotte or Atlanta...But we live in MIAMI and they think CHICAGO IS EXPENSIVE!

I do not understand why more people are NOT flocking the Chicago. You get ALL seasons. Florida only has two seaons - hot and HELL. The job market is 100x better in the Chicagoland area. Miami and Florida is always hit hardest when it comes to economic downturns. The traffic is always bottlenecked because of overpopulation. There is no cultural diversity. 70% Hispanic is not diverse. Chicago has a good proportion of ethnic groups - African Americans, Irish, Polish, Czechs, Slovaks, Russians, Albanians, Indians, Jews, Greeks, Arabs, Hispanics, etc....

Uhhhhh....

Old 04-01-2009, 10:35 AM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
DePaul University......The job market is not as strong as it was some 5 years ago, however, Chicago is one of the best markets for sales professionals. After I graduated from college, I moved to Atlanta and there I kind of fiddled around for 6 months until I got extremely aggressive and "creative". Nonetheless, Miami is one of the worse places for professionals, especially if you are not indirectly tied to the tourism/hospitality management sector and if you do not speak espanol. Also, Miami's rental market is ****ed, the traffic insane (someone dies everyday from a car accident) and the people extremely underclass...
If you're going to Depaul, you'll have an even cheaper monthly fare on the CTA. If you want to cut costs, that's the best area to do it.

Old 04-01-2009, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 2,844 times
Depaul includes the fee of the U-pass in your tuition. Regardless if you choose to use it or not, you have pay for it. As of right now, tuition is about 27000 a year.

Old 04-01-2009, 11:13 AM

That depends on the school and the program. I am going back to grad school for public administration....Tuition per credit is like $550 and it comes out to like $15k a year...Besides, I am doing a night program and I am working in the day.....Generally how long do you think it'll take for me to get a job?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago