U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 03:37 PM

3,089 posts, read 2,940,981 times
funny (strange), one of my most vivid childhood memories (1940's / 50's) was a recurring (ususally in the winter) very bad smell. I beleive that when I inquired about that I was told it most probably originated at the stockyards. . . we lived several miles south of there. . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 09:32 PM

10,484 posts, read 17,689,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
funny (strange), one of my most vivid childhood memories (1940's / 50's) was a recurring (ususally in the winter) very bad smell. I beleive that when I inquired about that I was told it most probably originated at the stockyards. . . we lived several miles south of there. . . . .
I'm surprised it doesn't still smell down there, even though the stockyards closed in 1971... Bubbly Creek does still bubble, though. But I have heard that people actually kayak it now!

Old 04-12-2009, 12:34 AM

393 posts, read 765,677 times
Finkl and other steel mills operate at night to save on electricity, when the rates are much lower. Have you every seen their arc furnace in operation? It melts tons of scrap steel down in minutes using enormous amounts of DC power.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:29 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,643,941 times
Here you go:

"...The EPA has said it will monitor air near St. Josaphat for hexavalent chromium and heavy metals because it is near factories and a busy intersection..."

EPA testing air at Lincoln Park school :: CHICAGO SUN-TIMES :: Metro & Tri-State (http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/1767084,CST-NWS-toxic13.article - broken link)

St. Josaphat
2311 N Southport
St Josaphat - Catholic Church and School in Chicago, Lincoln Park 60614 (http://www.stjosaphatparish.org/stjosaphat/main_index.cfm?cat=home&color_line=9BA0C8 - broken link)

Old 09-13-2009, 10:54 PM

63 posts, read 147,446 times
Have you gone outside to investigate or talked to your neighbors at all about it?

Btw 3am is the time of night when ghosts/demons are most active (serious). I was reading a thread on this stuff on another forum and thats the time sh1t can happen. Foul smells, temp changes, feelings of dread etc all can accompany this.

Not trying to scare you or anything just sayin. and leaving your window open is an open invitation to spirits or to enter your home.

Old 09-14-2009, 05:46 AM

6,391 posts, read 8,706,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMinneapolis View Post
Have you gone outside to investigate or talked to your neighbors at all about it?

Btw 3am is the time of night when ghosts/demons are most active (serious). I was reading a thread on this stuff on another forum and thats the time sh1t can happen. Foul smells, temp changes, feelings of dread etc all can accompany this.

Not trying to scare you or anything just sayin. and leaving your window open is an open invitation to spirits or to enter your home.
^
Reasonable.

Not sewer gas or industrial waste. Spirits.

They are the only explanation for foul smells, temp changes, or feelings of dread at 3am.

Old 09-14-2009, 11:54 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,288,377 times

Old 09-15-2009, 03:19 AM

10,782 posts, read 14,516,391 times
Spirits do not need open windows, open doors or even an open chimney. Sprits walk through walls.

Molten steel has a peculiar, almost sulpher like - rotten egg - odor to it. The only time you smell it is when it is being poured. Molten steel is extrememly hot. Consequently, most mills and foundries like to pour after midnight when it is much cooler.

Old 09-15-2009, 01:24 PM

668 posts, read 1,441,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aragx6 View Post
Oh my God, I know. Sooo yucky.
ay u two, don't hate. that place is decent... the meat is a little on the cheap side, but they cover it up with good condements at a reasonable price.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:32 AM

4 posts, read 7,147 times
We moved to Chicago a month ago and live in Lakeview. The smells are so bad in our apartment we don't know what to do. The whole neighborhood, and not just our apartment, smells like a combination of rotten banana, stinky feet, and peppermint. It's gross and I can't get it out of my nose. The other night it was so bad I actually thought I was either pregnant or had a brain tumor. I went to the store and got a sinus rinse and nose spray, and no joke, I then went to the doctor and got a Z-pack of penicillin in case I actually did have a sinus infection. The smell was lessened, but guess what? It's still here. I wish someone would just explain: It's the lake dumby! Or that: It's the sewage smell coming up into your 11th floor apartment from the pipes. But when the air conditioner is on, or the fan in the conditioning unit, or the window is open, it seems to be coming from outside. Is this just how Chicago smells? I really don't like it and it makes me feel like throwing up. If it was just musty decaying of old leaves I think I could handle it, but the smell is sickly sweet and festering like something died. Could it be carpet glue? And yes, I smell it in the water - like dirty feet. I got a Britta filter pitcher and that's helped. Anyone else? And no, you are all not crazy, and I hope I'm not either!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago