Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM

128 posts, read 305,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Did they interview them on camera or are they just quoting an article that does not quote Soriano or Lee and states hearsay to begin with?

If Dusty Baker and Latroy Hawkins were "targeted" how come they did not file reports/complaints with the proper authorities (like the U.S. Postal Service,F.B.I.,Chicago Police, etc...?)

Threatening or harassing someone by mail or telephone are serious offenses. Threatening someone with racial comments is an offense on many levels.

If this really happened and Baker (and/or Hawkins) went to the proper authorities I would expect arrest(s) and/or court cases would have followed.

I have heard of neither stemming from these supposed incidents.

Thanks for admitting that. Now your true intentions have been proven. You came on this site to cause and start trouble.

You are not worth speaking to anymore.

Easy there big guy, this is a lady you are talking to!! SO what if I am active against racism? Is that supposed to be awful or something? You seem to be taking this very personally even though I am not labeling you or anyone you know as the racists at Wrigley. The subject needs to be addressed though, especially if the reputation is so bad that players are using it as a deciding factor not to be traded there!!! This could happen anywhere, but it seems to be happening at Wrigley pretty regularly within the last 5 years, no?
This is not about you or me sir. This is about African Americans and Latino players being insulted and demeaned in public. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why Baker and others would not press the issue legally. Can you imagine the can of worms that would open with the pouncing Chicago media and unstable, less than laid back fans of CHicago?? Plus, from what others on this forum have told me, investigations in Chicago aren't always handled the best. It was best to just go on playing baseball, like Henry Aaron and Willie Mays did. Also you never answered my question. Why do you assume I'm black?

Last edited by whinniethezen; 08-28-2009 at 01:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 01:02 PM

1,475 posts, read 4,142,429 times
"Hey, I have an idea! Lets get rid of Mark Derosa and bring in Milton Bradley"

Hopefully that guy's collecting unemployment.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whinniethezen View Post
Why do you assume I'm black?
Because you are. We elected a black president. Get over it.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
I think it's mostly due to Bradley stinking up the joint so bad against the worst team in the bloody league, and clearly trying to deflect responsibility for that.

That would seem reasonable except for a few things. Those few things are named Baker, Hunter, Cameron, Jones, Soriano, and Lee. Bradley was always a nutjob, but the racism towards players was going on long before he was a Cub.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Here is another article which mentions that Tori Hunter had the Cubs under his no-trade clause because of the racist chants.

Bush League Times: April 2009

LOL Bush League Times.

What does The Lakeview Shopper Saver have to say about this?

Old 08-28-2009, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
Because you are. We elected a black president. Get over it.
Get over what? Black president? I'm Irish you dork! Next you'll tell me we elected an Irish president : O'Bama

Old 08-28-2009, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickdraw View Post
LOL Bush League Times.

What does The Lakeview Shopper Saver have to say about this?

The information was taken form a Chicago paper. Maybe try something called reading next time.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:10 PM

818 posts, read 2,171,719 times
whinniethezen, My question is... do you want to talk about racism in a real sense, as in actually talking amongst a group of people from various races about how they actually feel to try to reach a mutual understanding as to why certain things still happen, or do you just want to hear white guilt? Racism is a real problem, but I honestly believe that some of the tactics currently being used by people that refer to themselves as "activists against racism" are only making the problem worse.

If you want someone to say something like "there are a lot of big bad white people out there, but I am not one of them." and then express some adoration for the president and/or some other black leader, there are plenty of people in Chicago that will do this for you. In the end, you will be solving nothing. In fact, you'll have a new problem to solve, as you will then have to figure out whether the person who spewed all of this out is trying to convince you that he isn't racist, or trying to convince himself!

I honestly believe this tactic is not working. I would like the racial divisions in this country healed as badly as anyone else, but making me feel guilty about something that happened decades to centuries before I was born is not going to do it. I accuse you of this tactic based on past events with people, but if it turns out I am wrong, I will apologize. I am seriously open to a real conversation on the matter if you are, although I know a lot of people on this forum are sick of the subject.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Get over what? Black president? I'm Irish you dork!
I don't believe you. Say something in Irish.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:26 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
That would seem reasonable except for a few things. Those few things are named Baker, Hunter, Cameron, Jones, Soriano, and Lee. Bradley was always a nutjob, but the racism towards players was going on long before he was a Cub.
Yeah, that's a few names out of DOZENS of Chicago Cubs in recent years.

The hatred for Baker and Jones has nothing to do with their skin color, and everything to do with their competence.

Lee has never said he was directly called anything, from what I've read.

I'm not disputing there have been racial taunts - but - I think they tend to go hand-in-hand with a general resentment of multimilionaires who seem overpaid, the skin color is just icing on the cake for those folks prone to racial slurs.

To say "Cub fans is racist" is just stupid, if you want to say "some Cubs fans," that's a different story - I think "a few" is closer to the truth.

If you want to talk about intolerance and bigotry, I'll tell you that I hear so many anti-gay slurs thrown around when they blast YMCA it's not even funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago