Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2009, 08:46 PM

19 posts, read 40,656 times

Advertisements

I'm sure this has been asked many times over, but I'm moving to Chicago in the very near future and was wondering about neighborhoods. I'm moving to be in a more urban environment. I'm sick of living in a suburban area. While I love the space and trees it just doesn't have any energy to it. I'll be moving without a job but have about $12k to get me through the first 6 months or so.

I'm not familiar at all with the Chicago neighborhoods and apartments other than the few older threads and articles I've read online. My plan is to get a studio or one bedroom, depending on prices, for six months, get a feel for the area and get settled then look for a 2 or 3 bedroom with some roommates. I'd like to find something under $700. Although a 2 bedroom under $1000 would be feasable too as I'd just have to find a roommate, but I'd rather take my time and make more permanant plans once I'm settled. Renting a room from someone isn't a great option as I have a pit bull mix which limits my apartment search.

The most important things are to have a walkable neighborhood with shopping, food, access to public transit, and the majority of essentials I'll need. I want to be on the north side. Preferably a dog friendly area with a park in the neighborhood. I'm gay so would like a gay friendly neighborhood (although I imagine most of the north side won't be much of an issue), although not necessarily looking to be in the trendy (and expensive) gay areas but near would be nice so I can go hang out when I want to. I'd also like a neighborhood that has an energetic feel to it.

Because of my price range and unfamiliarity with Chicago, I'd like to hear a few suggestions on neighborhoods although I got a decent feel for some of them in other threads. More importantly because I'm on the lower end of the price range for chicago, what areas should I avoid? I don't care if it's the nicest part of town, but I'd like to feel safe. I won't have a lot of time to look so I don't want to mistakenly end up somewhere I'll regret.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2009, 09:14 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,166,939 times
So you want safe, walkable and under $700. Pick any two and we'll go from there.

Also, you'll probably find it very difficult to find a studio apartment that allows dogs.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:47 PM

Maybe I'm wrong. Here's a studio in a very dense, compact, walkable neighborhood for under $700 that accepts dogs. Plus it's in Boystown, which you might guess by the name is so gay-friendly it's a glowing inferno.

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 739 WEST BELMONT.

Others that meet your criteria including allows dogs:

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 924 WEST NEWPORT. (Wrigleyville/Lakeview, within very easy walking distance of Boystown)

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 837 WEST WOLFRAM. (same deal as above)

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 511 WEST MELROSE, (East Lakeview, also within easy walking distance of Boystown)

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 815 WEST CORNELIA, (Smack in the middle of Boystown)

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 4413 NORTH WOLCOTT. (St. Ben's, gay-tolerant)

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 818 WEST DIVERSEY. (Lincoln Park, mostly gay-tolerant but also near a large university so you'll occasionally rub elbows with frat meatheads)

Chicago Reader Classifieds | Real Estate | Housing for Rent | 427 WEST BELDEN, (also in Lincoln Park but further away from the university)

Old 04-17-2009, 09:48 PM

There seem to be a bunch of listings for studios that allow dogs..plus she's older and kinda lazy so she would be fine with her daily walks. I want safe as in I'm not going to fear for my life. It doesn't have to be the best neighborhood, I just want to stay away from gangs and fun stuff like that. I grew up in New Orleans and nowhere was entirely safe so I'm a bit used to it, but there are areas that were MUCH worse than others. I'm selling my car before I go there so walkable is important. I need an area where I won't need or want a car. Getting a 2 bedroom may end up being my best option but if possible I'd prefer to avoid the extra cost it would present until I found a roommate. It would be cheaper in the long run though.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:50 PM

oh wow, thanks. I've been looking on craigslist but I'll be checking out the chicago reader now.

Old 04-17-2009, 09:53 PM

Yeah, I've found the Chicago Reader ads to be more reliable than Craigslist. It actually costs money to post ads there so there's a lot fewer liars, scammers and time-wasters. As for getting acclimated to the city, I'd stick to Lakeview, Lincoln Park, Roscoe Village, and maybe Lincoln Square until you get a better feel for other neighborhoods. Lakeview seems to be the best place to get a studio in your price range that both allows dogs and isn't in da 'hood. Lots of older mid-rise buildings there, esp. along the lake. The fact that Boystown is part of Lakeview happens to be a convenient bonus.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:01 PM

This may be a silly question, but I've live in relatively warm areas (at most places where it snows occasionally but doesn't stick for more than a few days) and I notice the heat included or not seems to be a big deal in Chicago. Is it an expensive utility? or is it more like water, doesn't cost a lot but is bundled in sometimes to make the deal look better?

Old 04-17-2009, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffer View Post
This may be a silly question, but I've live in relatively warm areas (at most places where it snows occasionally but doesn't stick for more than a few days) and I notice the heat included or not seems to be a big deal in Chicago. Is it an expensive utility? or is it more like water, doesn't cost a lot but is bundled in sometimes to make the deal look better?
It depends an awful lot on several variables. My last apartment building was built in the 1970s and was well insulated with relatively new windows. I kept my thermostat at 72 degrees in winter -- didn't even turn it down to sleep or when I was away at work -- and my highest heating bill was $80.

My current apartment building was built in the 1920s and has old, leaky, awful windows. I cover my windows with plastic in the winter and keep the thermostat at 66 degrees. Consequently my January heating bill was $250. It doesn't help that I live on the first floor so I'm also helping to heat the unit above me while I have nobody below me to help heat my unit.

On the flipside, I used my A/C last summer a grand total of maybe 10 days, and I probably could have cut that in half except for the fact that I just don't have any place to plug in fans because I have so much crap plugged in. My highest electric bill last summer was $50. (That said, last summer was more mild than usual.) And while living on the first floor is a detriment in the winter, it's a benefit in the summer. The higher your floor, the more you can count on the need to run A/C.

It also bears mentioning that both of my previous apartments have been 2-bedroom units; my current unit is 1200sqft. That's a lot of space to heat esp. compared to a studio.

Last edited by Drover; 04-17-2009 at 10:54 PM..

Old 04-17-2009, 10:26 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,606,786 times
Heat is a very expensive utility.

Old 04-17-2009, 10:50 PM

Yeah, a studio would be much less, but still $250 is crazy for heat! At least for someone not used to the midwest temps. That's a 1/3 more than my avg electricity bill (which is my heating during the winter plus everything else for 2000sqft, although my house has great insulation). I'm not worried too much about it though since I plan to only be there 6 months. Still something to consider if in case I end up loving where I'm at and decide to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: