Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 08:48 PM

35 posts, read 87,982 times

Advertisements

hello everyone.
I am new to chicago just came from the UK 3 days ago.
Guys you have a hell lots of taxes to pay here. I am getting confused the way you pay your checks here calculating the taxes in your head then pay.
Anyway. I am really surprised and need help .. I have some qustion that need 2B ansewred.
I went to the phone's shop and CVS pharmacy to buy an international phone card and they told me to go to a liquour store !!!!!!!!!!!! and I found all the international cards there.
Next day I got on the bus and asked for all day ticket the driver told me to go to the subway. the subway man told me to go and buy the ticket from CVS pharmacy !!!!!!!!! bus ticket in a pharmacy ??!! what's the relation ??!!!
any way here my qustions.
what dose pharmacy mean ?!! like CVS pharmacy and another one as well I forgot it's name .. looks popular.
what are the popular grocery store like what we have in London Marks and spencer and tesco.
what is the deffrence between metro and CTA?
where do you go shopping guys ?! do you have malls ?
what are the best night clubs where there are nice people and safe as well !!
what is the best mobile network !
what is the best bank to open a checking account.
Can I buy I-phone without a social security number ?!

I know they are a lot but really important.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 09:26 PM

1,003 posts, read 2,429,433 times
I am confused too

What do you mean by calculating taxes in our head? lol

Old 04-26-2009, 09:31 PM

328 posts, read 1,396,830 times
Default Wow, too many questions to tackle

Quote:
Originally Posted by drnasserj View Post
hello everyone.
I am new to chicago just came from the UK 3 days ago.
Guys you have a hell lots of taxes to pay here. I am getting confused the way you pay your checks here calculating the taxes in your head then pay.
Anyway. I am really surprised and need help .. I have some qustion that need 2B ansewred.
I went to the phone's shop and CVS pharmacy to buy an international phone card and they told me to go to a liquour store !!!!!!!!!!!! and I found all the international cards there.
Next day I got on the bus and asked for all day ticket the driver told me to go to the subway. the subway man told me to go and buy the ticket from CVS pharmacy !!!!!!!!! bus ticket in a pharmacy ??!! what's the relation ??!!!
any way here my qustions.
what dose pharmacy mean ?!! like CVS pharmacy and another one as well I forgot it's name .. looks popular.
what are the popular grocery store like what we have in London Marks and spencer and tesco.
what is the deffrence between metro and CTA?
where do you go shopping guys ?! do you have malls ?
what are the best night clubs where there are nice people and safe as well !!
what is the best mobile network !
what is the best bank to open a checking account.
Can I buy I-phone without a social security number ?!

I know they are a lot but really important.
Here's where to go to find out everything about the CTA: http://www.transitchicago.com. If you cannot find out everything you want to know there, they list a phone number you can call there.

You cannot buy any sort of pass on a buss, you can only pay cash on a bus. You can buy a multiple day pass in a multitude of places.

CTA vs. the Metra - CTA is only within the city limits of Chicago, and Metra goes to the suburbs, primarily. That is all you really need to know about the two.

The most popular bank in the city of Chicago is Chase. They have ATM's and banks virtually everywhere in the city.

The best grocery store is Whole Foods. Where you will actually go is what is affordable and close to you. Without knowing where you live in the city, I will say that whatever is closest to you is where you will go: Jewel-Osco, Treasure Island or Dominick's.

The best cell phone carrier, as ranked by Consumer Reports, is Verizon Wireless. However, if you want an iPhone, you MUST go with AT&T. The iPhone will only work on the AT&T network in the United States.

You will need to contact AT&T directly to see if you can get an iPhone without a Social Security Network. You may need to do Cricket or Boost Mobile, which are prepaid wireless phones, since you do not need a credit check or a Social Security Number to obtain those.

The best clubs are a subjective viewpoint. If you tell us what neighborhood you live in and what you like (dance clubs, bar and grill, sports bar), then we can recommend something that is a good match for you.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:58 PM

295 posts, read 837,823 times
Actually, you can buy a one day/seven day pass for the CTA, but you have to purchase it from a currency exchange. Another option: If you're going to be here for a while (i.e. longer than one week) there are machines in the subway where you can purchase a "transit card", they work like pay as you go cards for the buses and trains. A CTA worker can help you navigate the machines. They are cash only; the only place you can use your credit card is the station at O'Hare airport.

A "pharmacy" is where you can purchase medicine and other houshold goods. CVS Pharmacy is relatively new to the Chicago area. Walgreen is still the dominant pharmacy.

To help with the "mall" question, there really aren't malls within the city limits. The only two I can think of at the moment are Water Tower Place and the Shops at 900 N. Michigan. I'm sure there may be more, but you can probably count it on one hand. Most retail stores are free-standing and aligned with other retail stores along a main street, such as Damen Ave. in Bucktown, North Ave in Wicker Park/Bucktown, Armitage Street in Lincoln Park, or the stores along Michigan Ave. I would just google/yelp/metromix the store you're looking for and see what else is in the area.

Good luck!

Old 04-26-2009, 11:49 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,385,654 times
Here's a quick lesson on public transportation here:

The main transit system in Chicago is called the CTA (Chicago Transit Authority). It controls the city buses and the elevated and subway trains within the city limits (and extending into a few close suburbs).

You have a few options for cards and passes:

-You can pay for single bus rides in cash. The buses don't give any change, so exact change is recommended. Paying in cash, the bus is 2.25.

- In every train station, there is a vending machine from which you can purchase a fare card. You put in cash, and that amount is put onto a card. The amount of a fare is debited from the card each time you use it until it's empty, and then you can get rid of it. You can use that card for the bus or the train (2.00 is deducted for your first bus ride or 2.25 for your first train ride, and any transfers within, I believe, 2 hours are .25 for your first transfer, with your 2nd transfer being free.) There are separate fare card machines that do accept credit cards, and while they're not in all stations yet, they are in more stations than just the ones at the airport.

-You can buy a pass that lets you ride the train or bus all you want for 1, 3, 7, or 30 days. Those are 5, 14, 23, and 83 dollars, respectively. You can buy them at most CVS, Jewel, and Dominick's stores, as well as at Currency Exchanges and various other stores.

- If you're here for a while, you might want to get a "Chicago Card" that works much like an Oyster card in London. It's electronic and reloadable, and you can handle top-ups online.

You mentioned the metro... well "Metra" is a system of commuter trains that run out into the far suburbs. The fare structure is different on the Metra. Metra stops are divided into zones, and the fare depends on how many zones you travel through.

Also, CVS, Walgreens, and other pharmacies are called pharmacies because they have a section that's dedicated to dispensing prescription medicine, and sell other health and beauty products, as well. However, they tend to stock lots of other items people need, and have become little convenience stores in their own way. You can find all sorts of stuff in a CVS or Walgreens.

Enjoy your time in Chicago. Cheers.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:53 AM

hey.. woow, you are really very helpful everyone..
Thanks a lot for your help with the information.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:45 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,196,693 times
How long are you here? Moving, or just visiting?

There are a lot of little things that'll help you out if you're actually living here now, and you tell us which neighborhood.

Old 04-27-2009, 03:56 PM

Thank you .
actually I will be staying for like 2-5 years.
the zipcode of where I am staying is 60611 but may be moving again to unfurnished apartment after 2 months.
thank you

Old 04-28-2009, 08:56 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
By the way, your taxes are MUCH higher in the UK. MUCH MUCH higher.

In terms of shopping, there are large department stores downtown just like you would see in Europe. The popular ones in downtown Chicago are Macy's, Bloomingdales, Sak's Fifth Avenue, Nordstrom, Nieman Marcus, etc. The two largest shopping streets are North Michigan Avenue (from the River north to Lake Shore Drive) and State Street (from the River south to roughly Jackson). State Street is older and used to be the dominant shopping district, but Michigan Avenue has taken over in the last few decades. There are many smaller walkable commercial strips across the city, from Oak Street in the Gold Coast to Armitage in Lincoln Park to Damen in Bucktown. You can find everything from malls to boutiques. There are vertical malls downtown, and some more marginal slightly abandoned malls on the edge of the city. Most of the horizontal shopping malls are out in the burbs.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:59 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
By the way, your taxes are MUCH higher in the UK. MUCH MUCH higher.
But at least it includes health insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: