Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 06:24 PM

2,467 posts, read 12,244,035 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

I have a friend who will be working at the Jesse Brown VA. She is looking to spend no more than $900 per month on rent (parking included or easy street parking). Where would you recommend? West Loop/South Loop/Bucktown/Wicker Park all are pretty much out of her price range. She'd like a pretty easy commute. (30 minutes ish, and she'll be driving during regular business hours). I recommended West Lakeview so she can just drive down Damen, but we're having trouble finding listings for that area.

She is looking at one apt at Paulina/Chicago-ish. What do you know about that area?

What might other "safe" boundaries be for a upper 20's single girl living by herself? Some people have mentioned University Village, but that seems pretty expensive. Greektown? Tri-Taylor? I know nothing about boundaries for this area. Any other suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 06:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,443,343 times
I would see what she can find in Ukie Village/Noble Square area or Logan Square. She should easily be able to find a 1 bedroom in LS for $900 (though it is farther from her work) but it may be a bit more difficult in Ukie. I would recommend driving around as opposed to looking at Craigslist/Rent.com. The cheaper deals direct from landlords tend to be better then going through management companies.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:25 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
I will DM you some listings.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:11 PM

I would stick with the Bucktown,Wicker Park, East Ukrainian Village ,Ukrainian Village, West Lakeview...

Perhaps even West Town and Noble Square.

When is she looking to move here?

Old 04-28-2009, 09:31 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
What's wrong with living in University Village? She can walk to work. Note that living further away will add transit to her costs, and expose her to a chance of crime getting to and from the train stations.

This crime map shows that it is safe-ish, if one chooses one's apartment and path to work correctly:
Crimes › University Village / Little Italy | EveryBlock Chicago

Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
What's wrong with living in University Village? She can walk to work.

This crime map shows that it is safe-ish, if one chooses one's apartment and path to work correctly:
Crimes › University Village / Little Italy | EveryBlock Chicago
Well according to Jessiegirl:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiegirl_98 View Post
... Some people have mentioned University Village, but that seems pretty expensive...
I have yet to look at prices around there...

I do know for a fact there are VERY few 1 bedroom apartments there.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:47 PM

393 posts, read 1,217,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well according to Jessiegirl:

I have yet to look at prices around there...

I do know for a fact there are VERY few 1 bedroom apartments there.

I know, but there are choices; spend money and time and the increased risk of crime--muggers are more than familiar with the commuting habits of people working at the med center complex--traveling to the hospital, or spring for a more expensive apartment close to work. And there are always roommates...

Old 04-28-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic View Post
I know, but there are choices; spend money and time and the increased risk of crime--muggers are more than familiar with the commuting habits of people working at the med center complex--traveling to the hospital...
This is true to a point.

However, muggers,rapists, and worse are even more familiar with people that are limited by their walking route from home to work (or the walk to the bus,train, or car ) and vice versa especially in a fairly questionable area like the one near the Medical Center.

This girl is going to be driving. I think if she was open to taking public transit Jessiegirl would have stated that.

Personally I would not live close to the Medical Center for a variety of reasons if I had better choices. You can take it for what it is worth.

I would rather spend an extra 10-30 minutes commute each way and live in a far safer, cooler area with things to do than live by the Medical Center.

Last edited by Avengerfire; 04-28-2009 at 10:02 PM..

Old 04-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Avengerfire-
Thanks for the links!!! That was really helpful

As I mentioned, University Village is expensive, at least for the ads I see, and 900 is the top of her price range. She can park for $35/mn at work, so that's actually cheaper than a monthly el pass. She also doesn't want a roommate.

Thanks!!!

Old 04-28-2009, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I would stick with the Bucktown,Wicker Park, East Ukrainian Village ,Ukrainian Village, West Lakeview...

Perhaps even West Town and Noble Square.

When is she looking to move here?

She's moving June 19, so is looking for June 1 (with hopes of possibly negotiating back a bit)

What are the boundaries for West Town? She doesn't care if it's not terribly exciting. What do you think about the Paulina/Chicago address? What neighborhood is that?

Thanks again!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago