Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 03:13 PM

39 posts, read 229,919 times

Advertisements

Anyone know much about the area? I found a nice 1 BR apartment for $900 in West Town. (Close to the Chicago at Damen intersection)

how is the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 05:18 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,087,318 times
I've lived in the neighborhood for almost 5 years, almost at that intersection for 3 of them. It is a great area, but Damen and Chicago is a bit of a hike to the 'el'. However, the #66 bus (Chicago Ave) runs all night and hits three 'el' lines (blue, brown, red), so it isn't as if you were without options.

And they are building a new grocery store on that corner, so you'll be close to your food (which is always a good thing).

Old 04-03-2007, 06:22 PM

39 posts, read 229,919 times
Thanx for the response j33.

Can you give me some characteristics of the neighborhood? racial/age composition, bars, nightlife, safety, quiet/lively, easy parking...etc

Old 04-03-2007, 07:24 PM
j33

Parking isn't all that easy, but it isn't as bad as other neighborhoods (I don't have a car though, so I don't really know about parking too much). It is a pretty lively neighborhood and there is a lot going on (partially due to its proximity to Wicker Park). The neighborhood is pretty safe in my opinion, but I do see a far amount of car break-ins and I've had a couple of bicycles stolen and there is the occasional mugging reported (I heard someone had her purse snatched at the end of my street). It seems like it is a rather younger neighborhood (I'm in my mid-thirties) and there are quite a few young families around here. The neighborhood is quite mixed ethnically, probably (barely) majority White (there is still a significant Ukrainian and Polish presence) and Hispanic (there is a huge Mexican shopping area on Chicago and a Puerto Rican neighborhood along division). More recently there seems to be a lot of expensive condos going up and the sort of people who can afford them moving in as well as of course, the hipsters

I like it here and have no intentions on moving anytime soon.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:41 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Thumbs up on West Town. I couldn't live there personally, but only for purely aesthetic reasons -- too much density and lack of green-ness for me. I'm getting really spoiled on both counts in my current neighborhood.

Muggings and strong-arm robberies (basically purse-snatching with no weapon involved) are simply a fact of life anywhere in this town. Even the best of the best neighborhoods in the city experience it. Fortunately for me, being a rather large male has a pretty compelling deterrence effect.

There's a club right near there that I hit every once in a great while for indie shows called the Dark Room. Nice place to catch a show if you're into that sort of thing. Then getting a giant slice of pizza at either of those places at Chicago & Western is a great way to wrap up the evening before heading home.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:55 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,211,251 times
I lived right around there for 10 years at Winchester and Iowa (a block from Chicago and Damen). I really liked the area (hell, I lived there for 10 years ). I bought a place a mile or so NW of there, since I couldn't afford to buy a house in that area.

The area is generally very safe, there are some theft and muggings, but that happens in Lincoln Park too. There is a lot to do in the area - great Mexican food on Chicago and Ashland, a lot of GREAT restaurants on Division, an easy walk to Wicker Park, both the Empty Bottle and the Doule Door are walkable, just a good location overall.

Transportation is a little weird. The Chicago Ave. bus can be packed at rush hour (2 or 3 packed buses can go by before you can get on one), so sometimes it's worth walking down to Grand to take an Eastbound bus. If you're taking the El at rush hour it is worth taking the bus to Damen or walking up to Division to be able to get on. The trains are usually full by the time they reach Chicago.

Old 04-06-2007, 01:23 PM

21 posts, read 59,462 times
Default Chicago & Ashland?

Hi, my partner and I moved to Chicago last summer for work and so far I love living here. After living in an apartment in Uptown, we are ready for more room - and have found a great, freshly remodeled, spacious apartment with a parking space very close to Chicago and Ashland.

Is anyone familiar with this neighborhood? It's tough to gage on appearances...it looks like a combination of hip new bars/coffee shops/restaurants and some older, less "gentrified" retail. We're a young couple with 3 dogs...things that are important to us are nearby restaurants, and ability to walk the dogs, and easy access to transportation.

Anyone’s thoughts on the neighborhood would be great. Also, what area is this? I've heard it's part of Wicker Park, Ukranian Village, East Village, and even River West.

Thanks!

Last edited by MountainDewRock; 04-06-2007 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 04-06-2007, 02:42 PM
j33

take a look at the east village thread, we are discussing that very intersection (or at least I am as I live not too far from it).

Old 04-06-2007, 03:05 PM

21 posts, read 59,462 times
Thanks, I'll go check it out. So what would you say the neighborhood is called?

Old 04-06-2007, 03:36 PM
j33

Either East Village or Noble Square depending on what side of Ashland you are on (but it really all blends together). It isn't Ukrainian village (too far east) or Wicker Park (too far south).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago