Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2010, 07:36 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times

Advertisements

I've got student loan payments coming due that are more than my rent, and this guy is saying "mop floors and bag groceries." As if grocery stores hire bag-boys with doctorates.

Bag this, pal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2010, 07:42 AM

746 posts, read 2,246,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I've got student loan payments coming due that are more than my rent, and this guy is saying "mop floors and bag groceries." As if grocery stores hire bag-boys with doctorates.

Bag this, pal.
the post was intended for the OP - why move somewhere with no job in the first place ??

Old 09-08-2010, 07:47 AM

Sorry for jumping on your case. But even if it was intended to the OP, I'm getting tired of hearing "bag groceries or mop floors" as if these jobs are just hanging from the employment tree, ripe for the picking by anyone extremely overqualified for these positions as a way to wile the time until the economy picks back up again. Even people for whom those jobs are suited are having a hard time finding them, much less people for whom they are extremely ill-suited.

Anyway, the OP moved here because he lost his previous job and this is where his parents/family live.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Sorry for jumping on your case. But even if it was intended to the OP, I'm getting tired of hearing "bag groceries or mop floors" as if these jobs are just hanging from the employment tree, ripe for the picking by anyone extremely overqualified for these positions as a way to wile the time until the economy picks back up again. Even people for whom those jobs are suited are having a hard time finding them, much less people for whom they are extremely ill-suited.

Anyway, the OP moved here because he lost his previous job and this is where his parents/family live.
I graduated from college in 1987 - one of the toughest employment times prior to the present. I hear you, truly, I do. I have a degree in Foreign languages/literature with a minor in chemistry. My career ? Entirely in technology in education. Sales and marketing. I moved to Boston with little money, no job, and huffed it until I could figure it out. Took some crappy jobs, made it work, ran my credit cards to the max, didn't have a car for 6 years, did the best with what I had. I'm not going to sit here and say it's the same because, frankly, I don't live in chicago or walk in your shoes. What I can say from experience is that there is ALWAYS something you can do. But sometimes you need to get creative with your approach. Step outside your box. There are always openings (sometimes 1000 resumes for each one!) So figure out a way to stand out! I found out many years later that my now husband and I had applied for the same job with Disney 15 years ago or so. I was offered the job, I declined to stay with Discovery channel. There were 2500 applicants.

There are ALWAYS ways. If you give up or get caught up in ego (won't take a job because the title sucks or is beneath you or whatever) it can take longer.

My POV is a little tilted by the fact that I have a brother who has been loafing for 9 years. College educated. Mooching off my parents. Really irritates me when he scoffs at his high school friends who work at Wal*Mart. Dude, the opportunity cost of your idiotic pride has been well in excess of $150k. Moron.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:24 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Well I suppose I could try it, but I don't have any connections whatsoever in the field. But I have numerous connections in the employee benefits field. Not that they can do a whole lot for me right now, but if nothing else at least I have relevant references.
You're in a tough spot, I know; if you do find a mid-ranged job in the interim, they will expect you to stay around for a while, even though you'd like to move on to something more interesting, and lucrative. if you had to work in a non-legal field for a while, I'm sure that you could use the current state of the economy as an excuse, i.e. having a roof over your head takes precedance over having a dream job.

From my earlier post, I was thinking about LARGE employers that would have substantial benefits departments such as the University of Chicago Medical Center ( or just the university), Northwestern, Rush, Evanston Hospital or any other employer of size that would need help. Is Boeing a big force in Chicago, or are they still somewhat Seattle-based? I don't know if "temping" would get you in the door somewhere, although it would have to be something worthwhile..

Old 09-08-2010, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post
I graduated from college in 1987 - one of the toughest employment times prior to the present. I hear you, truly, I do. I have a degree in Foreign languages/literature with a minor in chemistry. My career ? Entirely in technology in education. Sales and marketing. I moved to Boston with little money, no job, and huffed it until I could figure it out. Took some crappy jobs, made it work, ran my credit cards to the max, didn't have a car for 6 years, did the best with what I had. I'm not going to sit here and say it's the same because, frankly, I don't live in chicago or walk in your shoes. What I can say from experience is that there is ALWAYS something you can do. But sometimes you need to get creative with your approach. Step outside your box. There are always openings (sometimes 1000 resumes for each one!) So figure out a way to stand out! I found out many years later that my now husband and I had applied for the same job with Disney 15 years ago or so. I was offered the job, I declined to stay with Discovery channel. There were 2500 applicants.

There are ALWAYS ways. If you give up or get caught up in ego (won't take a job because the title sucks or is beneath you or whatever) it can take longer.

My POV is a little tilted by the fact that I have a brother who has been loafing for 9 years. College educated. Mooching off my parents. Really irritates me when he scoffs at his high school friends who work at Wal*Mart. Dude, the opportunity cost of your idiotic pride has been well in excess of $150k. Moron.
Oh give me a break. 1987 was one of the toughest employment times prior to the present? Who are you trying to kid? In 1987 the economy was roaring and had expanded for the 5th straight year. Unemployment was the lowest it had been in nearly a decade. Please, don't even try to compare 1987 today. I may not be quite as old as you, but I'm older than you think and I'm certainly old enough to remember 1987. It was not a particularly tough time.

I'm not too proud to take any job that pays the bills right now. I don't care what the job title is or what the duties are. So don't lecture me about not wanting to take jobs that are beneath me. Ego has nothing to do with it. Economics does. My hands are full enough applying for jobs I'm qualified for but have little chance of getting anyway. I'm not going to waste my time chasing jobs where I not only have less chance of getting hired but wouldn't even cover my student loan payments.

Last edited by Drover; 09-08-2010 at 08:51 AM..

Old 09-08-2010, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
You're in a tough spot, I know; if you do find a mid-ranged job in the interim, they will expect you to stay around for a while, even though you'd like to move on to something more interesting, and lucrative. if you had to work in a non-legal field for a while, I'm sure that you could use the current state of the economy as an excuse, i.e. having a roof over your head takes precedance over having a dream job.

From my earlier post, I was thinking about LARGE employers that would have substantial benefits departments such as the University of Chicago Medical Center ( or just the university), Northwestern, Rush, Evanston Hospital or any other employer of size that would need help. Is Boeing a big force in Chicago, or are they still somewhat Seattle-based? I don't know if "temping" would get you in the door somewhere, although it would have to be something worthwhile..
I honestly don't care if I ever practice law or not. It's only truly lucrative for a very few anyway. For the rest, the most realistic hope is a comfortable upper-middle-class living after several years of experience. And I'm fine with that, and whether the source of that upper-middle-class living is within or outside the field of law is of no concern to me. Now, I will sit for the bar, somewhere, some day, because it would be silly to have gone this far and not availed myself of that opportunity. It just makes sense to have/keep all my options open. But even after I do, I won't be heartbroken if I never step foot inside a law firm. My biggest challenge will be convincingly explaining all of this to other prospective employers who still believe an attorney's license is an automatic key to vast riches.

Old 09-08-2010, 08:50 AM

4,006 posts, read 6,036,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicago103 View Post
I have been more underemployed with bouts of unemployment since being laid off from Chicago City Hall about two years ago. My most recent job was with the Census in late spring and early summer.

With the Christmas season not too far away I am pretty confident at getting another temporary job if a permanent one doesnt work out.

It various from person to person of course but I personally am just waiting things out since this is a nationwide recession not just confined to Chicago. My career goals are directly related to the City of Chicago, I want to run for political office one day and my passion has always been with this city.

I won't do a nationwide job search because of that, I don't want to live anywhere else. If I were to move I would be wanting to return to Chicago as soon as I get there like escaping from Alcatraz so that wouldnt be fair to myself or whoever I would be working for. Also I don't have the money to travel long distances for job interviews or moving expenses. To me life is too short just to find work anywhere just for the sake of it, but that's just me, if your career goals are not specifically tied to Chicago like mine then I fully understand why people look for work all over.
I heard there's a job opening in the mayor's office.....

Old 09-08-2010, 09:03 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,908,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NcerfromNY View Post

No, 1987 was not a difficult year; the economy was booming; I graduated from college a bit before 1987, so I remember it quite well. Stop exaggerating--you weren't looking for work in the Great Depression of the 1930's either.

Old 09-08-2010, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
No, 1987 was not a difficult year; the economy was booming; I graduated from college a bit before 1987, so I remember it quite well. Stop exaggerating--you weren't looking for work in the Great Depression of the 1930's either.
the repo man was everywhere in 1987 -- it was definitely tough! I never claimed that I was looking for work in the 30s - trying to give some inspiration to people looking NOW.

You know, it's like some of the stresses I had when I was pregnant with my 3rd child. The doctor very calmly and matter of factly said, "your baby will be fine. Babies have been born forever - in war zones, in floods, in famines."

The economy sucks ***** right now - there is no question that is true. Seriously crappy economy. There are always opportunities. You sometimes have to create them yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago