Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 09:56 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,507,785 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Not me. It's a super-highway. But I agree with Drover that the particular stretch of Chicago Avenue is strangely intimate.
You want a superhighway to avoid living on? That would be Western.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2008, 04:42 AM

15 posts, read 41,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Yet another year-old thread revived out of nowhere; originally posted by a hit-and-run poster no less, who apparently is not interested in what we have to say anyway.
Man oh man, revived old threads are the worst. It's true. AND Originally posted by a hit and run poster? AGONIZING!

Old 04-13-2008, 11:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,897,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tragicandfancytoo View Post
Man oh man, revived old threads are the worst. It's true. AND Originally posted by a hit and run poster? AGONIZING!
Thanks for your quality input.

Old 04-13-2008, 01:51 PM

2,686 posts, read 7,852,343 times
Default opportunity from old thread

Folks,

As this is an old thread revived we have a unique insight one year later.

BucktownDale,

Since you brought this thing back to life and you are into RE how would the original poster done had they bought either of these properties from an appreciation standpoint? I am guessing they would have lost money on either property had they pulled the trigger and bought.

Others, your opinions and insights?

Old 04-13-2008, 01:55 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,897,201 times
Well it would depend an awful lot on what they paid for either if/when they pulled the trigger and bought, wouldn't it?

The Chicago market has been much more stable than other markets around the country. There is some depreciation in localized areas that got built up way too quickly, such as the south loop and Printer's Row. Otherwise, nobody's losing their shirts, even if the 20% year-over-year rises of the late 90s and early 00s are long gone.

Old 04-13-2008, 02:13 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,109,634 times
You can see my comments from a day or two ago, but even I am going to have to say that in the past 30-40 years the only time when you could count on one year appreciation to offset the costs of selling a townhouse/condo was from about 2001 thru 2006.

Real estate was not meant to appreciate at such a rate. Far too many that ought to have known better were hyping something that could not be sustained.

I don't care if you talking something Beverly Hills CA, Park Ave NYC, Chicago Gold Coast or overseas like London or Tokyo -- real estate has been a nice solid asset that when well managed can have decent cash flow and long term appreciation with a risk profile that is supposed to be predictable (based on historic vacancy vs rent, employment trends and income/housing cost ratios).

When there were (maybe still are) too many people with no kind of knowledge over building places based on "TV design shows" hopscotching out to areas that still have all kinds of fundamental problems the result is predictable... Show me a solid employment base/transportation infrastructure, solid schools, and low crime and that is a place that should have steady real estate values. Show me a place that has issues with all of those and POOF...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago