Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why is driving in Chicago such a terrible experience?
because of terrible state of local roads and highways (potholes) 1 11.11%
because of lack of proper signage both vertical and horizontal (on pavement) 1 11.11%
because of poor urban planning / lack of traffic studies 2 22.22%
because of lack of synchronized traffic lights 3 33.33%
lack of proper driver's ed resulting in bad driving skills 2 22.22%
too many unlicensed, unexperienced drivers from other countries 0 0%
baecause CPD does not care to control the situation, cite drivers brakeing the law 0 0%
because too many drivers talks on the phone, lose focus 0 0%
because too many people drive their cars to downtown as opposed to using public transportation (Metra, CTA) 0 0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:53 PM

11 posts, read 21,665 times

Advertisements

I agree with John. I saw plenty of the things mentioned above by others in Minneapolis last weekend too so Chicago isn't unique with this problem. Only problem I see here is that people here are very uneducated on how to drive in heavy traffic it seems. When I go to LA to see family it is miserable driving there but people there are used to the traffic and can navigate through the crowds rpetty well and same on the eastcost too but Chicago people need like 10 feet on each side of their car before theyll go around someone just a bunch of nervous nellies out there i tell yuh. It would be pleasureable to drive here if once again we had wider roads and better traffic signal coordination and really thats about it so i hope the state and city does something because other than driving around here chicago is a really nice city besides we should be setting the tone for the rest of the country not following New York or Californias lead all the time. We should be the best at everything come on we're chicago.

Old 05-07-2009, 03:02 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Actually, I've found Atlanta and Phoenix/Mesa to be waay worse than Chicago. For ease of overall navigation, simplicity and logic Chicago wins hands down. The Chicago potholes are almost unmentionable - horrible. For the saneness of the drivers, my vote is again Chicago.

Let's see, crazy highway chases, spin outs = Phoenix
Maze like one way downtown streets, + poor signage = Atlanta

Old 05-07-2009, 03:12 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
Detroit drivers will always have a special place in my heart as the best damn drivers I've ever had the privilege of driving 90 MPH with.
You're right, they are good drivers up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago