Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 11:58 AM

789 posts, read 640,422 times

Advertisements

Me and Family will be headed to the Midway area soon and wood like to try out the usual "Chicago tourist goodies" like a stuffed pizza and a chicago hot dog....anyone know a good eatery for this here in the Midway area? Also, is this a decent part of town? Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 12:23 PM

968 posts, read 2,665,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittywoman View Post
Me and Family will be headed to the Midway area soon and wood like to try out the usual "Chicago tourist goodies" like a stuffed pizza and a chicago hot dog....anyone know a good eatery for this here in the Midway area? Also, is this a decent part of town? Thanks!!!
The airport itself has a few of the local icons represented ..it'd probably be better to go to the originals wherever they're located, but they're not too bad .. I'll leave it to current residents to chime on what's near the airport, and state of the neighborhoods they're located in .. The original Giordano's (authentic deep dish) is relatively close to Midway .. The neighborhood was OK 20 years ago (updates welcome fellow posters !!) .. Hot Dogs can be a true local preference issue ..

Old 05-16-2009, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
The airport itself has a few of the local icons represented ..it'd probably be better to go to the originals wherever they're located, but they're not too bad .. I'll leave it to current residents to chime on what's near the airport, and state of the neighborhoods they're located in .. The original Giordano's (authentic deep dish) is relatively close to Midway .. The neighborhood was OK 20 years ago (updates welcome fellow posters !!) .. Hot Dogs can be a true local preference issue ..
I've heard about Giordanos, I think its been on the Travel Channel, might have to check that out!

Old 05-16-2009, 01:22 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
I'd suggest Portillo's for hot dogs, hamburgers, great food at the corner of Harlem and Archer in Summit. Look for a website; I know they have one. Another place we used to go to was called Jo Jo's it was at 65th and Cicero. Further down Cicero in Oak Lawn is Carme's.

I just looked around Harlem and Archer; boy has the area changed in the 6 years that we've been gone.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:15 PM

264 posts, read 716,681 times
how has harlme and archer changed? it looks the same to me. except the kryspy kreme left, which really really bummed me out.

Old 05-16-2009, 03:33 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,524,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
how has harlme and archer changed? it looks the same to me. except the kryspy kreme left, which really really bummed me out.
Well, first there is now an Auto Zone and it looks like the built a new Burger King. There is a market where the hardware store used to be. Is that enough?

Old 05-16-2009, 03:35 PM

264 posts, read 716,681 times
the autozon and burger king where there for more than 6 years ago. so no thats not enough.

Old 05-16-2009, 09:20 PM

332 posts, read 524,907 times
I ate at a mom and pop family owned pizza place/italian restaurant on Archer right there by Midway once. It was REALLY REALLY good. I ate enough food for an elephant. I don't remember exactly what it was called; it might be Villa Rosa. It was on that stretch of Archer that is directly north of the airport. They have both Chicago style pizza and italian food/pasta/etc.

Highly recommended--for me it's almost worth the hour and a half on the CTA/etc just to eat there.

Old 05-16-2009, 11:59 PM

172 posts, read 485,854 times
Home Run Inn is just to the north-west of the airfield on archer and has some fantastic pizza

Old 05-17-2009, 11:55 AM

Well thanks everyone, we are headed their today, ,so I'll let ya'll know how it goes!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago