Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Why don't we use turn signals while changing lanes and pulling over on Chicago highways?
I did not know I have to... 0 0%
What is a turn signal? How do I turn it on? 1 4.00%
I am busy talking on the phone, don't have time for nonsence.. 3 12.00%
Why would I want other people to know what are my intentions while drive 65mph on a public highway? 5 20.00%
Turn signals are for wussies... Real men don't use them. 5 20.00%
Other (please explain) 11 44.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 09:30 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,291,217 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
We dont use turn signals in Chicagoland because, plain and simple, we're the worlds worst drivers. A friend of mine who moved here from SoCal 3 years ago STILL cannot get over how rude and bad Chicago drivers are. Keep in mind that he is from SoCal.
That's pretty funny because I am an ex-NYC cab driver (black car) who still can't believe how terrible MOST of the drivers in Chicagoland are. Also after three years.
I also believe that the constant congestion is partially a result of terrible driving habits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2009, 09:31 PM

1,817 posts, read 4,926,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I missed that then. Sorry.
Heres a refresher:

Quote:
Can you name another country that has better drivers? Based on my travels, I cant think of any.

Canada maybe, but i was young when I went there.

Australia and New Zealand were comparable to driving in America, I did not see a difference.

Thailand was insane. India was scary. Greece was insane. Egypt was pretty crazy. Wales was comparable to driving somewhere in the midwest. England was congested for the most part.

I dont disagree we have idiot drivers, I just dont agree with the quoted statement.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipcromer View Post
Heres a refresher:
I got it, skip.

My point is however that comparing third-world does not make any sense and most developed countries drive the same way. The difference lies in enforcement - it's so much easier to get a ticket in Europe as there are not just speed limits that are enforced.

Last edited by dementor; 05-17-2009 at 09:44 PM..

Old 05-17-2009, 09:35 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,379,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
It seriously is funny how wherever I go in the US the locals claim that they have the worst drivers in the country.
To those who dont travel, its easy to claim their drivers are the worst. But to those who travel often, we get to experience drivers from around the country firsthand. Atlanta's traffic/drivers can suck, but I still think Chicagoland drivers are the worst when it comes to idiotic driving habits.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:37 PM

202 posts, read 1,008,228 times
Same problem all over America.
People drive very stupid and don't fallow the law ! And people are very lazy

Old 05-17-2009, 09:38 PM

264 posts, read 716,736 times
i dont think we have the worst drivers we do have a couple of death defying merger lanes on our highways though

Old 05-17-2009, 09:39 PM

Quote:
To those who dont travel, its easy to claim their drivers are the worst. But to those who travel often, we get to experience drivers from around the country firsthand. Atlanta's traffic/drivers can suck, but I still think Chicagoland drivers are the worst when it comes to idiotic driving habits.

They are idiotic. There is a stretch of I-90 from the toll booths to about Harlem or Austin which is most of the time congested. Once you pass this area congestion disappears. There is a similar phenomenon on 290. No accident, no roadwork yet there is always congestion there. Idiotic driving habits and lack of organization.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:54 PM

264 posts, read 716,736 times
My idea of solving traffic is to put signs on the highways, electronic ones to get attention, like the amber alert ones, that tell drivers, "please keep driving, please do not slow down, please do not brake too hard, please take a train or bus, please move closer to your work," etc...
you get the point, drill it in their heads that they cant slow down or break hard or to not drive at all or move closer or something like that, let them know its them and they can solve it together. All rights reserved. Copyright. Trademark. Carantini incorporated. a Coca cola company.

Old 05-17-2009, 09:56 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,949,514 times
Quote:
No way, I've got to stand up for the reputation of Boston drivers, they truly are the worst!

Old 05-17-2009, 11:16 PM

2,314 posts, read 4,798,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
They are idiotic. There is a stretch of I-90 from the toll booths to about Harlem or Austin which is most of the time congested. Once you pass this area congestion disappears. There is a similar phenomenon on 290. No accident, no roadwork yet there is always congestion there. Idiotic driving habits and lack of organization.
That's why you should take the Metra to work.

Gets me where I need to be (even through the suburbs) without having to take the expressways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago