Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 03:59 PM

118 posts, read 459,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah Bridgeport is almost 30% Asian(mostly Chinese) and hispanics are about the same. Its wasn't majority white even back in 2000.

bridgeport is pretty segragated the area east of halsted between 30th-pershing is pretty much all white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 12:37 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Yeah Bridgeport is almost 30% Asian(mostly Chinese) and hispanics are about the same. Its wasn't majority white even back in 2000.
The ironic part is that many of the Hispanics that live in Bridgeport are very racist towards Blacks. Culturally many Hispanics that live in Bridgeport appear more similar to the Italians in Bridgeport than to Hispanics in Pilsen. I have met many Hispanic Bridgeportians who act and talk like Tony Soprano "fugetaboutit" "trow me da ball will ya"

Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 PM

894 posts, read 2,380,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidehitman View Post
bridgeport is pretty segragated the area east of halsted between 30th-pershing is pretty much all white
that area in bridgeport between archer halsted and 31st is that a hispanic area?

what about the one from 31st to pershing and the river to halsted is that hispanic due to the fact that mckinley park is right there?

so north of 30th in bridgeport in that chinese because of its close proximity to chinatown?

Old 06-28-2009, 01:32 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
The ironic part is that many of the Hispanics that live in Bridgeport are very racist towards Blacks. Culturally many Hispanics that live in Bridgeport appear more similar to the Italians in Bridgeport than to Hispanics in Pilsen. I have met many Hispanic Bridgeportians who act and talk like Tony Soprano "fugetaboutit" "trow me da ball will ya"
So in other words, its the hispanics that are also keeping Bridgeport racist image alive. How are the Chinese attitude in bridgeport? No wonder why other minorities make a large percentage of Bridgeport except blacks(1%). But once you get past 47th & halsted, it immediately turn all black.

That is one neighborhood in Chicago I don't go to.

Old 06-28-2009, 01:35 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
so north of 30th in bridgeport in that chinese because of its close proximity to chinatown?
It's not like there's hard fast line where Chinese stops and Caucasian (with some Hispanic) starts. It gradually shifts from to the other from Cermak down to about 31st Street.

Old 06-28-2009, 05:59 PM

204 posts, read 761,215 times
The projects on 31st and Halsted called the homes use to be mostly white. Are they still around?? Last I heard was that blacks were moving in there. Anyone know anything about those projects???

Old 06-28-2009, 06:55 PM

118 posts, read 459,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottl333 View Post
The projects on 31st and Halsted called the homes use to be mostly white. Are they still around?? Last I heard was that blacks were moving in there. Anyone know anything about those projects???

yeah the bridgeport homes are still there their mostly hispanic but we dont get too many problems out of there an they built the new police station right in front of them

Old 06-29-2009, 02:26 PM

445 posts, read 1,343,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyPants View Post
Culturally many Hispanics that live in Bridgeport appear more similar to the Italians in Bridgeport than to Hispanics in Pilsen. I have met many Hispanic Bridgeportians who act and talk like Tony Soprano "fugetaboutit" "trow me da ball will ya"
Ahahahahahaha so ****ing true... So, so true... and yes, when the rest of the southside was being steamrolled by encroaching ghettoness, Bridgeport Hispanics were shoulder-to-shoulder with everyone else in the effort to keep our neighborhood free from black ghetto filth and for that, all of us native 'porties owe them a debt of gratitude.

As far as the cultural blend thing, I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that there is an aesthetic graying line where you can't really tell the difference between a light Hispanic and a dark Italian. Since Italians are a large part of the culture in b'port and they're (generally) culturally synergistic with Hispanics, it only makes sense. Intermarriage between Hispanic/Italian/Irish in B'port has been accepted forever.

A lot of those Hispanic families have been there a long, long time and are totally integrated with the 'Chicago way' , unlike Pilsen which strives to be a little Guadalajara in the middle of the city.

Old 06-29-2009, 03:48 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,073,774 times
Guadalajara is actually a very nice city, definitely the nicest large city in Mexico. While not Tijuana or Juarez Pilsen is definitely no Guadalajara.

Old 06-29-2009, 08:14 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajolotl View Post
Guadalajara is actually a very nice city, definitely the nicest large city in Mexico. While not Tijuana or Juarez Pilsen is definitely no Guadalajara.
Most Mexican immigrants in Chicago are from rural areas, not large cities. Sort of country bumpkins if you will. So yeah, Pilsen would not resemble Guadalajara.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago