U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-18-2009, 10:34 PM

14 posts, read 47,237 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,
My husband and I are moving to Chicago this summer. I'll be working at University of Chicago and he'll be at Rush. We're having trouble deciding on what neighborhood to live in, and we don't know the city too well.

Saw some places in Hyde Park but didn't really like the apartments themselves, although the neighborhood is very nice. Also saw some lofts that I liked alot in University Village. It'll certainly be a longer commute for me, but I probably won't be driving during rush hour. I guess other neighborhoods to consider would be the Loop and Bridgeport.

We like to go out and eat, both of us love ethnic food, but other than that, are mostly homebodies. I don't think we'd be too picky as long as it was convenient for work and not too expensive (we'd been hoping for less than $2000 including parking if necessary, 2BR)

Also, we'll both probably have cars. In University Village, do you think one needs garage parking or is the permit parking sufficient?
we'd also seen some apartments that my husband liked on S Michigan (around 17th or 18th). I'm assuming we would need garage parking in that area?
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2009, 08:24 AM

28,384 posts, read 68,011,584 times
While I fully support your idea about trying to find some place equi-distant from both, as way to fairly share the burden of a commute, I do not think this makes sense given the realities of real estate in Chicago.

The neighborhood of Hyde Park is far older, largely more expensive and very different than anything near UIC / Rush. If you BOTH like / can afford one and not the other that is a perfectly legitimate reason for one of you to accept a longer commute!

Similarly if it turns out you BOTH prefer someplace in Lakeview or Lincoln Park or Oak Park or Evanston that is a PERFECTLY logical reason to choose someplace that is NOT particularly close to either of your jobs.

I think a $2000. budget is very realistic for a decent place in almost neighborhood of the City as well as most desirable suburbs.

I personally doubt you would be happy in some place like Bridgeport, even though it would have the most "balanced" commute for both of you, the rest of your needs would likely be met in other areas...

Old 05-19-2009, 10:00 AM

393 posts, read 1,048,921 times
I agree with chet everett; the only neighborhood that would allow you guys to fairly split the commute is Bridgeport. No matter where you live in Chicago, eventually you'll get bored with your local restaurants and have to drive to new places. In Bridgeport this will happen a bit faster is all.

University Village and the new townhouses of the Near South Side are indeed worth looking at if you can afford them. Have you looked at Printer's Row? If think you may be confounding the South Loop with the Near South Side.

If you can afford living on Prairie between Roosevelt and 15th Pl, you car will be safe on the street.

Old 05-19-2009, 10:22 AM

14 posts, read 47,237 times
Thanks guys. Good to know about Bridgeport. The only reason it was on the table was because it looks kind of equidistant from both places.

And Intergalactic, I think you're right about the confusion between South Loop and Near South Side. My husband likes the hi (mid?) rise buildings in that area that are all glass and concrete while I like alot of the conversions in the West Loop and University Village (though I'll admit that the views from those higher floors are amazing).

In University Village, the area around 15th and Sangamon, do you think street parking would be a problem or one would need to rent garage space?

Old 05-19-2009, 12:56 PM

296 posts, read 712,329 times
I would go with either the South Loop or the West Loop. Both neighborhoods have easy road access to get to your jobs. A bonus; since these are still "new" neighborhoods, most of the buildings are new(er) and have modern touches such as hardwood floors, granite counter tops, s.s. appliances, in-unit laundry, etc. Some may even have amenities like a doorman, fitness center, balcony....

Check Craigslist or a locator/realtor to see what they have available.

Old 05-19-2009, 06:05 PM

393 posts, read 1,048,921 times
According to Crimes Motor vehicle theft 3 blocks around 1440-1522 S. Sangamon St. | EveryBlock Chicago (http://chicago.everyblock.com/crime/by-primary-type/motor-vehicle-theft/streets/sangamon-st/1440-1522s/3-blocks/?page=1 - broken link) 30 vehicles have been stolen off the street from the three block area centered on 15th and Sangamon in the last two years. Two vehicles have been stolen from garages in that same space and time frame. So I would say you don't need a garage, just make sure your car(s) are fully insured for theft and don't leave anything you care about in them.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:51 AM

1,966 posts, read 5,212,390 times
I also would do South Loop. It is so close to both places and on the doorstep of the best areas of the city. It is also a quickly growing area with quite a few entertainment options of its own now.

Old 05-20-2009, 03:34 PM

439 posts, read 1,315,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcubed View Post
Thanks guys. Good to know about Bridgeport. The only reason it was on the table was because it looks kind of equidistant from both places.

And Intergalactic, I think you're right about the confusion between South Loop and Near South Side. My husband likes the hi (mid?) rise buildings in that area that are all glass and concrete while I like alot of the conversions in the West Loop and University Village (though I'll admit that the views from those higher floors are amazing).

In University Village, the area around 15th and Sangamon, do you think street parking would be a problem or one would need to rent garage space?
As a resident of University Village, I would recommend you get the parking if it is available. Everything esle is so modern and convenient there, it just kinda goes with the territory.

I mean, do you REALLY want to subject yourself to shoveling out from snow plow tracks, or scraping off freezing rain? Once you get accustomed to a heated garage, I think you will find that there is no going back.

As for the "30 cars stolen" stuff, it should be pointed out that a lot of those 30 aren't even in University Village. Nonetheless, auto theft and smash-and-grab-the-radio are a fact of life in Chicago, which is why virtually all of the upper end rentals offer parking. I would strongly recommend you take it no matter what neighborhood you end up choosing.

If you end up at UV or UCommons, I'll see ya around the 'hood.

Best of Luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or