U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-22-2009, 09:16 PM

5,335 posts, read 4,602,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I was trying to be nice. There was nothing malicious intended.

Look if you are going to talk **** about Da Coach and Hamp YOU NEED TO MOVE ON.
..I didn't think so, but sometimes the Internet isn't too revealing.

I'm not a Bears fan, so it really doesn't matter to me. I just didn't know that commercials based upon 1985 Bear players were being aired in Chicago--seems a little dated.

Coaches like Ditka and Parcells never appealed to me.The chest-beating, cigar-chomping screaming approach to coaching gets old very quickly, and I'm not impressed with those people in sports that something think they're "tougher" than others simply because they're more voluble. The Bud Grants and Tom Landrys of the world are often more effective, and often last longer, without any of the grandstanding and need for attention.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:39 PM

94 posts, read 110,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltlantz View Post
Do the Illini have a big rival for football? Someone said Michigan but going to school in greater Cleveland, the Michigan-Ohio bad blood is common knowledge.
Not really. I mean, we like to beat MU the first weekend of college football, but it's not that big of a deal compared to our basketball series with them. And IU is a rivalry just because they're clearly our number one basketball rivalry. We have a rivalry with OSU but it's pretty lop-sided. Iowa is fun to beat and we dislike them, but they just don't seem worthy of a rivalry. So, no not really, haha.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:49 PM

CUBS:
1. Cardinals
2. Sox
3. Brewers

WHITE SOX:
1. Cubs
2. Indians
3. Twins

BEARS:
1. Packers
2. Vikings
3. Colts

BULLS:
1. Pistons
2. Pacers
3. Cav's

BLACKHAWKS:
1. Red Wings
2. ...
3. ...

FIRE:
1. Lack of fans
2. Lack of interest in soccer
3. Lack of fans

ILLINOIS:
Football:
1. Ohio State
2. Missouri
3. Indiana
Basketball:
1. Indiana
2. Missouri
3. Indiana

Nobody in the whole Chicago area likes NU except for people in Evanston (and as the UI at NU basketball game this year showed, a lot of people in Evanston like the Illini). UND is very supported, but only by people who went to the Chicago Catholic schools and the Tribune board, haha. Most people like the Illini.

I think a UI-UND football series at Soldier Field would be awesome.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:10 PM

3,146 posts, read 3,039,810 times
ILLINOIS:
Football:
1. Ohio State
2. Missouri
3. Indiana

Nobody in the whole Chicago area likes NU except for people in Evanston (and as the UI at NU basketball game this year showed, a lot of people in Evanston like the Illini). UND is very supported, but only by people who went to the Chicago Catholic schools and the Tribune board, haha. Most people like the Illini.[/quote]

I fully agree that NU-UI means virtually nothing in basketball. But, c'mon: football???????????????? You have got to be kidding. Does the rivalry mean more to Northwestern than Illinois. Yes. Does it mean a lot to Illinois? YES. Is there another rivalry, though equal to it, that is actually a stronger rivalry for Illinois than Northwestern? NO.

It's a tradition rivalry game, usually the last one of the season, in a series that has been competitive not only in some great match ups in recent years but also throughout its history. And beating NU, instate rival, with many players having played it each other in prep football is big. And since I've watched a lot of these games on t.v., there is no question in my mind that Illini players are pumped and the game means a lot.

Sure, I would put this game well behind the season enders like Michigan-Ohio State and IU-Purdue. But so what? IMHO, it's still the top rivalry game for Cats and Illini alike. And since both schools give every indication in recent years to show an ability to be competitive in B10 play, it could easily get even better.

Look, ChiIll, this may not be among the likes of Cal-Stanford, or UNC-Duke, but those instate public-private matchups can be pretty heated with strong rivalry implications across the nation.

Two questions for you:

How can Ohio State be a huge rival for Illinois when Ohio State doesn't know Illinois exists? (same would be true if you had added, like others have, that Michigan is that top UI rival?

How can IU be more of a rival for NU, which is not only in-state, not only smack in the heart of the very Chicagoland that is the real base (enrollment and alumni wise) of the Illini nation and....most importantly...that there is absolutely no question that NU is a stronger, more successful, more competitive, and more winning football program than IU?

Old 08-17-2009, 03:43 PM

4,173 posts, read 4,726,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post

FIRE:
1. Lack of fans
2. Lack of interest in soccer
3. Lack of fans
So sad...yet so true. I will be the first to list the FIRE rivals. This is based on my 10 year old's opinions (he's a huge fan) so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

FIRE:

1. Kansas City Wizards
2. Columbus Crew
3. LA Galaxy (listed because fans are so annoyed with Beckham)

To be even more obscure, who are the rivals of the Chicago Red Stars? Have any of you even heard of them?

Women's Professional Soccer :: Women's Professional Soccer :: Chicago Red Stars

Old 08-17-2009, 05:29 PM

433 posts, read 950,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCUBS1 View Post
So sad...yet so true. I will be the first to list the FIRE rivals. This is based on my 10 year old's opinions (he's a huge fan) so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

FIRE:

1. Kansas City Wizards
2. Columbus Crew
3. LA Galaxy (listed because fans are so annoyed with Beckham)

To be even more obscure, who are the rivals of the Chicago Red Stars? Have any of you even heard of them?

Women's Professional Soccer :: Women's Professional Soccer :: Chicago Red Stars
FIRE:

1. New England Revolution: this team has done more damage to the Fire's MLS Cup hopes than any other. By FAR the most despised team by the Fire fans, and second place isn't even close.

2. LA Galaxy: if you can't muster hatred for Landycakes Donovan and David "Posh-Spice-Whoa-They-Play-Real-Soccer-Over-Here-Get-Me-Outta-Here-Quick" Beckham, you aren't a real Fire fan. Seriously: Can ANYBODY stand the LA Galaxy?

3. Columbus Crew: they're from Ohio, land of Toledo, Sandusky, Tweety-Pie tatoos, outlaw bikers, Jerry Springer, Joe the Plumber, supersized everything, and they share the same city as Ohio State. Need I say more?

As for the "nobody cares", and "no fans", the Fire this time of year average somewhere on the order of 16,000-17,000 per game, meaning the franchise is a lot closer to critical mass than many realize.

And while the Fire won't be challenging the Bears for mindshare any time soon, their continued presence proves that a there are a significant number of people who actually prefer *real* football (as in foot on ball) to Synchronized Sumo Wrestling, aka American Fatball.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM

4,173 posts, read 4,726,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearWestSider View Post
FIRE:

1. New England Revolution: this team has done more damage to the Fire's MLS Cup hopes than any other. By FAR the most despised team by the Fire fans, and second place isn't even close.

2. LA Galaxy: if you can't muster hatred for Landycakes Donovan and David "Posh-Spice-Whoa-They-Play-Real-Soccer-Over-Here-Get-Me-Outta-Here-Quick" Beckham, you aren't a real Fire fan. Seriously: Can ANYBODY stand the LA Galaxy?

3. Columbus Crew: they're from Ohio, land of Toledo, Sandusky, Tweety-Pie tatoos, outlaw bikers, Jerry Springer, Joe the Plumber, supersized everything, and they share the same city as Ohio State. Need I say more?

As for the "nobody cares", and "no fans", the Fire this time of year average somewhere on the order of 16,000-17,000 per game, meaning the franchise is a lot closer to critical mass than many realize.

And while the Fire won't be challenging the Bears for mindshare any time soon, their continued presence proves that a there are a significant number of people who actually prefer *real* football (as in foot on ball) to Synchronized Sumo Wrestling, aka American Fatball.
Thanks for clearing this up.... I'm slowly becoming a Chicago FIRE fan...
I just never followed soccer/futbol growing up but now my kids are really into it. They have even been on the field and love Blanco and Rolfe. And the games are a blast... I want to also start following the Red Stars. I'm considering buying season tickets.

Re: the L.A. Galaxy - I read part of that Donovan book and understand the dislike for Beckham (esp. that whole Milan thing). But why all the hatred for Donovan? Isn't he one of the top American born players? Is it just that he was such a sell-out w/Beckham? But doesn't he also dislike Beckham now?

Last edited by GoCUBS1; 08-17-2009 at 08:55 PM..

Old 09-28-2009, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Two questions for you:

How can Ohio State be a huge rival for Illinois when Ohio State doesn't know Illinois exists? (same would be true if you had added, like others have, that Michigan is that top UI rival?

How can IU be more of a rival for NU, which is not only in-state, not only smack in the heart of the very Chicagoland that is the real base (enrollment and alumni wise) of the Illini nation and....most importantly...that there is absolutely no question that NU is a stronger, more successful, more competitive, and more winning football program than IU?
1. It is true that OSU does not think much about UI but I will say that it is way different than with Michigan. UM seriously never even thinks of Illinois. However, UI has won 7 of their last 11 games in Columbus for football including the big '07 upset so that adds a little.

2. IU is our biggest basketball rival by far, so some of that animosity carries over into football. I would probably put UI-NU higher now that I think about it. And some people try to sell it as a downstate vs. upstate thing, but I don't see that either. There are way more alumni and general fans of Illinois in Chicago than NU simply because NU is a very exclusive and small school. But I do enjoy large amounts of UI fans taking over Evanston every year in basketball!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:23 PM

1,743 posts, read 1,158,341 times
CUBS:
1 Cardinals
2 Brewers
3 White Sox

WHITE SOX:
1 Twins
2 Tigers
3 Cubs

BEARS:
1 Packers
2 Vikings

BULLS:
1 Pistons
2 Knicks
3 Heat

BLACKHAWKS:
1 Red Wings
2 Blues
3 Maple Leafs

NORTHWESTERN:
1 Illinois

ILLINOIS:
1 Northwestern
2 Wisconsin
3 Indiana

NOTRE DAME:
1 Michigan
2 USC
3 Boston College

DEPAUL:
1 Marquette

As for the Fire, I watch some of there games every now and then. I have no clue about who their rivals are.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:53 PM

4,028 posts, read 4,282,078 times
CUBS:
1 White Sox
2 Cardinals
3 Brewers

WHITE SOX:
1 Cubs
2 Twins
3 Detriot

BEARS:
1 PAckers
2 Vikings
3 Lions

BULLS:
1 Detroit

BLACKHAWKS:
1 Detroit

FIRE:

NORTHWESTERN:
1 Illinois

ILLINOIS:
1 Northwestern
2 Indiana
3 Missouri

NOTRE DAME:
1 Michigan State

DEPAUL:
1 ?

LOYOLA:
1 ?

UIC:
1 ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago