U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2009, 09:47 AM

5 posts, read 20,332 times
Thanks for the reply guys.

Should I prefer tower1/3 then?Read about some bed bug problems in tower3 in apt reviews.

Also,any idea about medical district apartments which are right next to school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 09:58 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,711,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2009 View Post

Should I prefer tower1/3 then?Read about some bed bug problems in tower3 in apt reviews.

I know a few people living in the Medical district apartments and they say its pretty nice. There will also be a whole lot more to do over there since its right off Taylor street. Also Im sure you can find some street parking within a few blocks so you dont have to rent a space.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:09 AM

930 posts, read 1,273,024 times
Quote:

bedbugs were in 2, not sure about 3 ..3 has renovated apartments now...see the previous entries in this post re the vibe at the place ..years ago, lots of Med and Grad students .. still a few there but not as many .. my suggestion would be shop around, as there are quite a few nice rentals in the area you're interested in that are 'fresher' than PT ...

Old 02-06-2009, 10:10 AM

Thanks long.

I visited Chicago and personally liked PT more,maybe coz I've never lived in downtown.Also the view from the PT apartments was just awesome with more closet space which I need as I'm shifting with my family.

I'm going to dental school and was wondering if there are any more good apt complexes within two miles or 1or 2 bedroom condo available for $1200-$1300.

Is there any difference between MD and PT as far as safety is concerned?

Old 02-06-2009, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoylekim View Post
bedbugs were in 2, not sure about 3 ..3 has renovated apartments now...see the previous entries in this post re the vibe at the place ..years ago, lots of Med and Grad students .. still a few there but not as many .. my suggestion would be shop around, as there are quite a few nice rentals in the area you're interested in that are 'fresher' than PT ...

I don't know much about the area and don't have many friends there.If you could suggest any good apartments close to 60612,would be great.

Old 02-06-2009, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Thanks long.

I visited Chicago and personally liked PT more,maybe coz I've never lived in downtown.Also the view from the PT apartments was just awesome with more closet space which I need as I'm shifting with my family.

I'm going to dental school and was wondering if there are any more good apt complexes within two miles or 1or 2 bedroom condo available for $1200-$1300.

Is there any difference between MD and PT as far as safety is concerned?
There really isnt any apartment complexes very close UIC other then the one your looking at. There are some condo complexes that you can rent, and obviously a ton of 3 flats around. I live about 6ish blocks away from the medical district apartments (my gf is in nursing school) in a condo complex. I have seen 1 bedrooms go for 1250 a month with utilites extra and its much nicer then medical district apts. For 12-1300 you can rent a much nice condo in the area then what you would get from those apartements. It really all depends what your looking for.

I consider both areas very safe, I would give the edge to PT since its in the middle of the loop and there are some somewhat recent gentrified areas around UIC. Remember it does get completely dead in the loop at night.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:40 PM

179 posts, read 314,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by long101 View Post
There really isnt any apartment complexes very close UIC other then the one your looking at. There are some condo complexes that you can rent, and obviously a ton of 3 flats around. I live about 6ish blocks away from the medical district apartments (my gf is in nursing school) in a condo complex. I have seen 1 bedrooms go for 1250 a month with utilites extra and its much nicer then medical district apts. For 12-1300 you can rent a much nice condo in the area then what you would get from those apartements. It really all depends what your looking for.
I have to agree. Both MD apts and PT are obviously very convenient if want to rent w/o a lot of research and coming from out of town, but they definitely let you pay for that.
For 1300 it should be possible to score a nice apt if you don't restrict yourself to a complex. If I had to choose I would look for a place right off Taylor in the area between Morgan and MD. That's basicallt the (more or less fomrer) Little Italy strip with tons of restaurant, bars etc along there. Things might look a bit sketchy at Roosevelt though, so I would rather stay north, it's pretty neat there up to Harrison.
When I looked around on Cragslist last summer there were several decent apts off Taylor available i.e. some fairly new constructions where you could have a MUCH nicer apt for your $ than at MD apts.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:15 AM

I'm looking at a potential condo rental located on intersection of W. Flournoy and S. Western Ave in the UIC Med district/ Tri taylor area. Since I am not a resident of Chicago,so unsure of the neighborhood. Please provide me feedback with how that particular area is for living and commuting to UIC dental school in terms of safety and surroundings.

I need the same feedback for another location South Lytle street (east of Arrigo Park) near intersection of racine av and cabrini st.

Also,with condo,is maintenance service a problem because I've lived in apartments so far and whenever there is any repair/maintenance required,its fixed within 24 hours.If there is any issue with the condo..like if the bathroom flush doesn't work /gas burner has a problem then do you fix it yourself?

Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I'm looking at a potential condo rental located on intersection of W. Flournoy and S. Western Ave in the UIC Med district/ Tri taylor area. Since I am not a resident of Chicago,so unsure of the neighborhood. Please provide me feedback with how that particular area is for living and commuting to UIC dental school in terms of safety and surroundings.

I need the same feedback for another location South Lytle street (east of Arrigo Park) near intersection of racine av and cabrini st.

Also,with condo,is maintenance service a problem because I've lived in apartments so far and whenever there is any repair/maintenance required,its fixed within 24 hours.If there is any issue with the condo..like if the bathroom flush doesn't work /gas burner has a problem then do you fix it yourself?
Western and Flourony is kind of sketchy, that is a little west of the UIC area. Its not horrible and is getting better but I would stay a couple blocks east.
I actually live at Lytle and Racine off of Taylor I have a feeling your looking at my complex. That area is very good. In the complex you have mostly doctors, nurses, and UIC professors.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:52 AM

930 posts, read 1,273,024 times
Quote:

Most Hi Rise and larger condo complexes have maintenance on staff..some repairs they do for free, but some will charge the owner a fee ... One thing to keep in mind if you rent a condo is that the Association is not your landlord, the unit owner is ( or his rep) .. That being said , they are typically very quick w/ things that could impact other units ( issues w/ water, electricity or gas).. for appliance malfunctions that are nuisance/unlikely to cause common area harms, you call the landlord .. and YMMV ..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago