Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:39 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times

Advertisements

Chronic homeless should be put in gulag. There they can be fed and provided for most efficiently. And meanwhile they can't pester those who are productive.

I make a distinction between those who have fallen on hard times and those for whom hard times is a way of life, know what I mean? Perhaps we should bring back the word "bum"; it makes the distinction I'm talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2009, 09:44 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
I make a distinction between those who have fallen on hard times and those for whom hard times is a way of life, know what I mean? Perhaps we should bring back the word "bum"; it makes the distinction I'm talking about.
I agree. When I worked in the Loop I would see the same five panhandlers on my way to the office every day. They all had their little areas staked out, and were there for YEARS. I really resented those *******s after a while.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:45 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
I used to think by giving a homeless man a dollar - that God would bless me for helping a human. But some homeless people don't even say "Thanks!" - so now I think those kind are SCUM not worth even helping. Plus there are druggies and alcoholics not worth helping. But I read a Chicago Tribune article which said one homeless guy had a Mechanical Engineering degree [like me]! I could have been homeless if I didn't have family to rely on[mod cut]

But now I'm back to the poorhouse at 42 weeks unemployed... Thank GOD my mom, dad, and aunt keep me alive!

Last edited by aragx6; 06-03-2009 at 02:18 PM.. Reason: off topic

Old 06-02-2009, 09:49 PM

4,789 posts, read 14,743,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I agree. When I worked in the Loop I would see the same five panhandlers on my way to the office every day. They all had their little areas staked out, and were there for YEARS. I really resented those *******s after a while.
There's a black lady who begs there and then you see her wasting money on cigarettes... never gonna give money to her.

A black begger came begging at me at the McDonald but his pockets were jiggling with coins... yeah, I needed to beg for money more than him!

Now, I withhold giving $ unless they're nice and say thanks.

I talked to a homeless guy one day about his begging income and he said he makes $16 per day.

Old 06-02-2009, 10:03 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,545 times
My heart goes out to many, some others not as much. I end up shooting the breeze with a homeless person every so often - just to see what's going on, what their take on things are. Rarely do I give out change, rather I smoke a cigarette with them. I'm sure it can get lonely.

Old 06-03-2009, 01:16 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,176,801 times
Well it didn't take long for Coolyfett to get canned. Wonder what that was about.

Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times
I was standing by a bus stop in the loop one day after work and there is a homeless guy asking for money on the floor in front of a sabarro. This nicely dressed guy walks into the sabarro and comes out with a piece of pizza and a drink and gives it to the homeless guy. Then the homeless guy starts to get all upset that he shoulda just gave him money. This guy took his time to walk into the damn resturant just for this bum and he gets all mad. Im sure if he was given cash he would just buy drugs of booze. Those people are a drain on our society

Old 06-03-2009, 06:57 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,960,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think there are much better charities to contribute to. Streetwise is a band aid where an ICU is needed. I think it mostly makes a few donors and the goody goody staff feel good about themselves, and has little actual impact. Is that too cynical? Living in Uptown will make you cynical about the homeless...
Agreed. Most shelters or charities screen individuals for drugs and other things. Charities have already dont the leg work for us to make sure that our contributiosn go to a good cause.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:34 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
I like Streetwise actually. Not because the paper is of a high quality (it certainly is not), but because it's a step towards some actual responsibility - the vendors have to show up, clean, at the office to check in, get their papers, etc. I know it may not seem like much, but for some of these folks baby steps is all they can handle.

Old 06-03-2009, 07:36 AM

5,288 posts, read 8,878,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Chronic homeless should be put in gulag. There they can be fed and provided for most efficiently. And meanwhile they can't pester those who are productive.

yup. or more PC, we could call them hobos, but hobos actually get off their butts and move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago