Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 10:50 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,661,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by binarybelle View Post
Actually, I've grown tired of it. And I think a lot of women expect a little more effort from men these days. That's where someone like an image consultant can help.

I have my own wardrobe to worry about -- and I don't like feeling like someone's mother.
Hear hear. I don't know where American men get this idea that they don't have to put any effort into dressing well or being well groomed. These are not the Dark Ages.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 10:56 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
That only holds true if you're wearing khakis around town. But I'm talking work wear, and frankly you men just can't afford to ban a color. Your wardrobes are already so limited. Colors change with the season for you, but really, colors themselves rarely go out.
I haven't worn a pair of khaki khakis in ten years. Work wear be damned. If you wear khaki khakis to work, you look like a douche.

Quote:
Oh god, that is a horrible look. It's 1995 Silicon Valley Software Designer. It has to go.
It's more 80's country club. I didn't say I liked it, but it is "in".

Quote:
God forbid you just have a discussion on fashion without having to add this qualifier.
It was more of an observation than a qualifier. If it were a qualifier, it would have been stated, "I'm not gay, but...". There's a difference. My way of saying it was poking fun at myself. Well, making fun of myself using a stereotype. Guilty.

Old 06-05-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I haven't worn a pair of khaki khakis in ten years. Work wear be damned. If you wear khaki khakis to work, you look like a douche.

It's more 80's country club. I didn't say I liked it, but it is "in".

It was more of an observation than a qualifier. If it were a qualifier, it would have been stated, "I'm not gay, but...". There's a difference. My way of saying it was poking fun at myself. Well, making fun of myself using a stereotype. Guilty.
Wait, I am so confused.

"Khakis" are what we used to wear in high school, with all the pockets.

I have chinos and the like in mind. Khaki slacks. It's perfect for summer wear for men.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:50 AM

8 posts, read 11,362 times
I think this service would do well in Chicago. There are still a lot of older single men looking to land arm candy, new grads with no clue, and guys who just want a re-invention of themselves.

Personally, I wear a tailored jacket, an untucked solid button up, a pair of boot cut jeans, and a set of dress shoes from some where like Aldo or Robert Wayne. Throw in a great watch and a good haircut and your set. It can be taken either way... dressed down relaxed professional or done up casual.

You don't have to look overdone, but women definitely take notice when you're well put together. Do you want to look like someone who lives in their mom's basement and plays video games all day, or a relaxed professional with something to offer?

This is a good idea, and too many of the guys here in the city have lots of money and little style.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:43 AM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veronica43 View Post
One of my favorite looks a guy could ever wear is a dress shirt with the sleeves rolled up, sophisticated jeans (none of the "destroyed" denim), nice shoes, and sunglasses/watch.
Agree, that is also one of my favorite looks for a guy....

Old 06-06-2009, 11:18 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
My favorite look for work was brown duck Carhartt work pants, a "Hillbilly" snap front denim shirt, a green or dark blue mill jacket, original American Bridge hard hat, Redwing "877" boots and big-cuff hot mill gloves from Blue Collar Supply in Lansing. And a red or blue bandana tied around my head.

Options were Carhartt brown duck bib overalls, Carhartt 4 button blanket lined brown duck coat, turtleneck sweaters, flannel shirts and red flannel union suits.

Last edited by Irishtom29; 06-06-2009 at 11:37 AM..

Old 06-06-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
My favorite look for work was brown duck Carhartt work pants, a "Hillbilly" snap front denim shirt, a green or dark blue mill jacket, original American Bridge hard hat, Redwing "877" boots and big-cuff hot mill gloves from Blue Collar Supply in Lansing. And a red or blue bandana tied around my head.

Options were Carhartt brown duck bib overalls, Carhartt 4 button blanket lined brown duck coat, turtleneck sweaters, flannel shirts and red flannel union suits.
My friends in the trades preferred water-proof boots. I'm surprised you didn't mention that.

Oh, and woolen socks.

Old 06-06-2009, 02:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,751,326 times
Quote:
My friends in the trades preferred water-proof boots. I'm surprised you didn't mention that.

Oh, and woolen socks.

I treated my boots with Redwing Oil, they'd shed water but still beathe.

In winter I'd wear heavy 2-buckle galoshes over my regular Wings. And wool socks, yes indeed.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:20 PM

5,751 posts, read 10,377,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post

Man.... I bet you looked sooooo good... And what about the designer toolbelt?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago