U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 03:43 AM

7 posts, read 7,775 times

Advertisements

Us beeing french can be a problem ? may be i should mention that my husband is mixed race (dad black, mom white), is that a problem too ?

Ajolotl did you lived in France, what did you like and what did you dislike ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 06:24 AM

2,242 posts, read 4,125,754 times
THere's nothing wrong with being french.
You're not the only one.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:23 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,807,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoyo la grenouille View Post
Us beeing french can be a problem ? may be i should mention that my husband is mixed race (dad black, mom white), is that a problem too ?

Ajolotl did you lived in France, what did you like and what did you dislike ?
I work 3 months a year on the far outskirts of Paris. I always stay in the heart of the city, though (apt. near Luxembourg Gardens) and take two trains and a short taxi ride to get there. Even with the commute it is completely worth it given the quality of life in the city.

I feel like it would be shame to have a stint in Chicago with a decent rent allowance and not really imbibe what is special about the city. Evanston and Oak Park are extremely nice, but nothing quite has it all like the Gold Coast area. You would feel alive every minute of the day (like living in Paris).

Just my opinion.

You will have no problems with anything. Don't know what you would even be referring to.

Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM

7 posts, read 7,775 times
We find a public school with a french programm, it's in lincoln park, we probably start looking in this area for a place to live.

I didn't mean to be rude with my last post, i was refering to older posts about, gang, "qualified white students will have a harder time getting into the best selective enrollment schools" and french who don't fit in...
As i said me english is not good and between jokes, references i don't get and weird internet translation, i am sometimes lost...

We expatriate all the family because we believe that is going to be a great experience !

"Les jardins du Luxembourg" that a really nice place to stay, you're lucky !

Old 06-09-2009, 11:41 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,807,044 times
You didn't say anything rude at all.

The excellent posts on this forum unfortunately coexist with a lot of others that are total nonsense. The concern with public schools is valid, though. Unlike Paris where the best schools are in the city, the U.S. is inside out for the most part (selective admission schools notwithstanding). The city has some of the best private schools but most of the worst public ones. That is why I recommended Ogden, which by and large has a good reputation and is in a great area. Lincoln Park is a perfect fit also. If you are going public though it all starts with the choice of school.

Quote:
We find a public school with a french programm, it's in lincoln park, we probably start looking in this area for a place to live.

I didn't mean to be rude with my last post, i was refering to older posts about, gang, "qualified white students will have a harder time getting into the best selective enrollment schools" and french who don't fit in...
As i said me english is not good and between jokes, references i don't get and weird internet translation, i am sometimes lost...

We expatriate all the family because we believe that is going to be a great experience !

"Les jardins du Luxembourg" that a really nice place to stay, you're lucky !

Old 06-09-2009, 03:01 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,505,870 times
Quote:
If you are talking about Lasalle, there are actually two of them. The original is on Eugenie/Sedgwick/Orleans and Lasalle II is just south of Division on Honore in East Village. Both are nice, safe neighborhoods though you can find better deals in East Village. The only issue is that both of these are magnet only, which means they have no home district. Applying students who live within 1.5 miles are given 1st priority but that by no means guarantees admission.

This site: School Locator Page - Department of School Demographics and Planning allows you to search by school name or your home address to see what school your children would be districted to. I would run the addresses you are looking to rent at through here before making a decision since you said that private school was not an option. Greatschools.net can provide you with additional info on each school or a large bound guide can be found for free at the library or your alderman's (each neighborhood's mini mayor) office.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago