Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 09:27 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have one? If so, what kind? What are your experiences?

Conversely, does your neighbour have an urban farm that you hate? If so, why?

Any references (newspaper articles, etc) would be appreciated as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 09:31 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,944,069 times
A farm within the city of Chicago?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:32 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,742,002 times
Isn't there a farm in Mt. Greenwood? Connected to a school?

Old 06-06-2009, 09:33 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,442,896 times
There's a great one in Humboldt Park where you don't rent a plot and personally tend it but instead pay an annual fee of around $350 that covers a weekly bushel of season fruit and veggies from July to October 1st. The plots are tended by local teenagers on a volunteer/school credit basis. It is a super program. The urban farm closest to me is the one on Clybourn and Division and while plenty of the plots are now growing all sorts of things I've never actually seen any of my neighbors gardening in there so I couldn't tell you if they are on a rental basis or managed by some incorporated.

ETA: more info on the Humboldt Park co-op in case anyone in the neighborhood is interested in joining: http://hipmama.meetup.com/124/messag...165/0#27795039

Old 06-06-2009, 09:35 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,595,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Isn't there a farm in Mt. Greenwood? Connected to a school?
Chicago High School for Agricultural Sciences

Old 06-06-2009, 09:46 PM

7,041 posts, read 15,027,604 times
That's great, but, I was actually referring to people that keep chickens (primarily) on fire escapes or on rooftops or backyards; usually for eggs. It is a new trend in cities:

U.S. City Dwellers Flock to Raising Chickens

An "urban chicken" movement has swept across the United States in recent years. Cities such as Anne Arbor, Michigan; Fort Collins, Colorado; and South Portland, Maine, have all voted in the past year to allow residents to raise backyard poultry.

Raising backyard chickens is an extension of a renewed interest in urban farming. After the trend first gained popularity in London, England, large numbers of U.S. city dwellers began to raise chickens in Seattle and Portland, said Jac Smit, president of the Urban Agriculture Network. Within the past five years, the movement has expanded to Chicago, Los Angeles, New York, and San Francisco. "Chicken has become the symbol, a mascot even, of the local food movement," said Owen Taylor of New York, who knows of at least 30 community gardens that raise poultry, mostly for their eggs.

Advocates say home-raised livestock or agriculture avoids the energy usage and carbon emissions typically associated with transporting food. Buying local also provides an alternative to factory farms that pollute nearby ecosystems with significant amounts of animal waste.

Some health officials worry that backyard chickens could elevate avian flu risks. But sustainable farming advocates insist that backyard chickens are less of a concern than factory-farmed poultry, which the Pew Commission on Industrial Farm Animal Production says pose serious risks of transmitting animal-borne diseases to humans.

The spread of backyard chickens has also promoted spin-off businesses that cater to the local market, such as mobile slaughterhouses to manage and distribute the meat.

Some people argue about smells or the loudness of the roosters.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagocubs View Post
That's great, but, I was actually referring to people that keep chickens (primarily) on fire escapes or on rooftops or backyards; usually for eggs...
Did you not ask this question in a thread way back?

Raising Chickens in Chicago?

Besides people having chickens in Chicago is nothing new. It has never gone out of style in parts of the west and south sides. It was even going on in Uptown,Roscoe Village,Lakeview, until about 10-15 years ago

Old 06-06-2009, 10:10 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,658,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Did you not ask this question in a thread way back?

Raising Chickens in Chicago?

Besides people having chickens in Chicago is nothing new. It has never gone out of style in parts of the west and south sides. It was even going on in Uptown,Roscoe Village,Lakeview, until about 10-15 years ago
I've been seeing chickens in Northalstead for years now.

Old 06-06-2009, 10:15 PM

^Ok this now confirms you are a gay man.^

Last edited by Avengerfire; 06-06-2009 at 10:24 PM..

Old 06-06-2009, 10:23 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,442,896 times
When I was living in New Orleans I had so many neighbors that kept chickens. I lived in a couple of very urban parts of the city without yards to speak of so I always found this very odd. Every morning when I'd drive to school I had to play ******* in my neighborhood to avoid hitting them when they'd escape from whatever shanty style coop their owners had created. Thank Jebus I haven't had any of that nonsense yet here.

ETA: WTF at that bleeping? I typed f.rogger, which to the best of my knowledge is still an 80's arcade game and not an expletive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: