U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 09:44 AM

725 posts, read 1,257,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
I agree. I have such fond memories of going there as a child, but when I went back with my kids it was not what I remembered. Its all navy boats and flashing computer screens and cockpits.... I've nicknamed it the Military-Industrial Complex.
I disagree. I grew up on South Hyde Park Blvd, literally 3 blocks from the entrance and went there so much as a child that I knew the recordings in those old-fashioned telephones by heart. I recently took my 3 year-old there, and we both enjoyed it immensely. I though the exhibits were fantastic, although I did feel nostalgia for some of the older exhibits. They are rennovating the upper floors where the biology exhibits are, which is my favorite part of the Museum. (Couldn't walk through the heart.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM

4,409 posts, read 10,150,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I disagree. I grew up on South Hyde Park Blvd, literally 3 blocks from the entrance and went there so much as a child that I knew the recordings in those old-fashioned telephones by heart. I recently took my 3 year-old there, and we both enjoyed it immensely. I though the exhibits were fantastic, although I did feel nostalgia for some of the older exhibits. They are rennovating the upper floors where the biology exhibits are, which is my favorite part of the Museum. (Couldn't walk through the heart.)
I agree with you, its a wonderful family outing. Its a treasure and a treat to have such a place close by. I too visited some of my favorites from childhood,everything from that "Doll House" to old Main Street, the Coal Mine and we still loved seeing the chicks hatch. The Future exhibit was very interesting, I believe its new. Loved the butterfly/shadow exhibit, food of the future, anti aging discoveries etc.

I was just trying to share info about this temp exhibit for Potter fans and didnt think my post would turn into whats wrong with Harry and the museum.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:06 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,423,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanannie View Post
I agree with you, its a wonderful family outing. Its a treasure and a treat to have such a place close by. I too visited some of my favorites from childhood,everything from that "Doll House" to old Main Street, the Coal Mine and we still loved seeing the chicks hatch. The Future exhibit was very interesting, I believe its new. Loved the butterfly/shadow exhibit, food of the future, anti aging discoveries etc.

I was just trying to share info about this temp exhibit for Potter fans and didnt think my post would turn into whats wrong with Harry and the museum.
I don't mean to hijack the thread - I am glad to go to the MSI for the good stuff - I just see the exhibits very differently going there now as an adult.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:21 AM

725 posts, read 1,257,134 times
^It's hard not to feel nostalgic. I loved the Petroleum Ride (except the bright sun flashing.) The heart, the Circus exhibit (still remember the song from the movie they used to show where the elephants morph into one another and the girls spins around on a hanging hoop so quickly it looks like she has two pairs of legs, lol.) They have maintained a lot of the best while modernizing. The tot area in the basement was loads of fun. My son loved shooting the foam balls through the pipes and all of the water activities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago