Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 01:19 PM

11 posts, read 28,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Without commenting on the original troll's post or the really long illegible one by "notoverhere" above, I will list a few reasons that the Chicago-haters in my life have expressed for disliking the city:

1. They are from New York, London, or some other cultural center and didn't realize Chicago would be any different (i.e. they're clueless). If you're comparing the cultural climate in Chicago to New York or Paris, it will fall short. If you're comparing it to Denver or Seattle, it will blow those cities away.

2. The winters (and parts of spring and fall) really suck here. If you can't handle cold weather, don't move here.

3. Our city government nickel and dimes us to death. People from smaller towns are particularly flumoxed by the costs of parking tickets, permits, sales tax, etc. People from cities like New York or San Francisco are used to this to a larger degree (or people from these cities are just happy to not be paying a city income tax here).

4. Some people just don't like crowded city life, and would prefer to be able to drive their cars in the wide open or among the forests and mountains. That's not what Chicago is all about.
What did I say that was hater, because I was on the receiving end of the so called "enlightened" Chicagoan racist rants and agreed with the OP to an extent, or because I didn't post like some of this board's children, who communicate like children? Name calling, of course, why am I not surprised.
I had posted both good and bad about his place, explain to me what I said that you could not comprehend?

Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,074,538 times
great list. very thoughtful and accurate.

One minor thing for me: When I moved here I didn't expect or want it to be London or New York, but I was disappointed with the lack of late-night hangouts, compared e.g. to Miami.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
Without commenting on the original troll's post or the really long illegible one by "notoverhere" above, I will list a few reasons that the Chicago-haters in my life have expressed for disliking the city:

1. They are from New York, London, or some other cultural center and didn't realize Chicago would be any different (i.e. they're clueless). If you're comparing the cultural climate in Chicago to New York or Paris, it will fall short. If you're comparing it to Denver or Seattle, it will blow those cities away.

2. The winters (and parts of spring and fall) really suck here. If you can't handle cold weather, don't move here.

3. The cost of living is high and our city government nickel and dimes us to death. People from smaller towns are particularly flumoxed by the costs of parking, parking tickets, permits, sales tax, etc. People from cities like New York or San Francisco are used to this to a larger degree (or people from these cities are just happy to not be paying a city income tax here).

4. Some people just don't like crowded city life, and would prefer to be able to drive their cars in the wide open or among the forests and mountains. That's not what Chicago is all about.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Probably not.
I am not, WTF people, I just posted a response, and the personal issues I went through here, both very bad and good. Not everyone is all "rah rah" about this place.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:22 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notoverhere View Post
I am not, WTF people, I just posted a response, and the personal issues I went through here, both very bad and good. Not everyone is all "rah rah" about this place.
Uh, that is what Drover said. You have a completely different writing style and attitude than the OP, I imagine most people should be able to pick that up.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Uh, that is what Drover said. You have a completely different writing style and attitude than the OP, I imagine most people should be able to pick that up.
Well, I don't plan and posting thousands of posts here (no offense). I just happened to learn of this board, and I was looking for other data about this city, when I ran across this thread.
Man, just unbelievable, this is why I want to leave. Again, I have met some good people here, but the true intolerant idiots I have come across in this city, truly soured my opinion of this whole place.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,104,142 times
Quote:
Well, I don't plan and posting thousands of posts here (no offense). I just happened to learn of this board, and I was looking for other data about this city, when I ran across this thread.
Man, just unbelievable, this is why I want to leave. Again, I have met some good people here, but the true intolerant idiots I have come across in this city, truly soured my opinion of this whole place.
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

No one's given you any trouble and yet you're about to grab the fainting couch. Move along, then.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 PM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,083,905 times
Quote:
Did you read what I even posted?

I didn't attack you, in fact I was stating quite clearly that you weren't the troll that most people were annoyed with. However, if you keep up the histrionics and the 'hand-staple-forehead' 'woe is me, I'm so delicate I can't handle it when people do not like my posts' attitude, people will find you annoying for an entirely different reasons.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Cool. Thanks for sharing.

No one's given you any trouble and yet you're about to grab the fainting couch. Move along, then.
I was stating this has the racist comments I have heard, not anyone on this board. Talk about overreacting.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
Did you read what I even posted?

I didn't attack you, in fact I was stating quite clearly that you weren't the troll that most people were annoyed with. However, if you keep up the histrionics and the 'hand-staple-forehead' 'woe is me, I'm so delicate I can't handle it when people do not like my posts' attitude, people will find you annoying for an entirely different reasons.
No, I know you weren't attacking me, nor was I stating this; this is the downside of posting on boards.
I was actually saying in the real world, about narrow mindedness here in Chicago, I have experienced this, not on this board.
We are starting to misinterpret each other, I had no intention of insulting you.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:43 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,382,244 times
Quote:
I was stating this has the racist comments I have heard, not anyone on this board. Talk about overreacting.
Dude. Buddy. Hey.

No one's overreacting. No one said anything negative to you, except for one person saying "Come again?" (because your post was long, rambling, poorly formatted, and difficult to read, I'd imagine) and someone else thought you may have been HCC under a different screen name.

That's all. So can the victim attitude. No one's attacking you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago