U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-12-2009, 10:49 AM

26 posts, read 34,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
Do you smoke? I find better conversation in cigar lounges than in taverns.
I only smoke when I've had a lot to drink. I like nat shermans

Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 AM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,593,845 times
corriellen - I personally like Map Room in Bucktown. Every quarter they host a 'science cafe' where they have lecturers from University of Chicago discuss their research and open it up for questions, it is focused heavily on physics and astronomy, but general enough that those without a scientific background can get something out of it. I also like Hop Leaf in Andersonville, and have attended a reading or two by some local authors there. There are plenty of bars, coffeehouses etc. around the city that are not centered around sports. If you are into folk music, I believe Grafton up in Andersonville has a large contingent of Old Town School of Folk music sorts that hang around there. If you want to discuss progressive politics and drink a wide selection of beer, head up to Heartland Cafe in Roger's park and go sit at their bar (I don't believe it has a television). Also, Roger's Park has a few storefront theaters worth checking out for cheap (and often rough around the edges) plays and performances.

That being said, when I want to watch a White Sox game in a bar, I want to watch a White Sox game in a bar. I like that balance in my life, and I like that it exists here (as it does in many other cities).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:23 AM

6,391 posts, read 8,706,833 times
I think, to a person, those who've made blanket statements about Chicago being sports-bar-centric barf-fests are making the really ridiculous mistake of assuming that all of Chicago is just like the area roughly bordered by Chicago on the south, Irving Park on the north, the Lake on the east, and, say, Southport to the west. The truth is, even THOSE NEIGHBORHOODS aren't like that. Not exclusively. Those neighborhoods, too, contain interesting spots all over.

So look around! There's no excuse not to. I feel like what we're dealing with is confirmation bias. If you assume things will be a certain way, they will. To you.

I've had scores of people visit me from the Southeast, and not ONE of them hasn't been pleasantly surprised by Chicago. Not one. They expected a gritty, fat, sausage-and-beer town, and based on the places we went and people we met, they didn't get that. Because that isn't how I spend my time. Nor should it be how you spend yours if you hate it all so much.

So all I'm saying is maybe some of the folks on this board should spend a quarter of the energy they expend complaining about the city actually looking around and trying to find what's good.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:30 AM

9,258 posts, read 11,441,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
They expected a gritty, fat, sausage-and-beer town,
Hey, I resemble that remark.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:38 AM

6,391 posts, read 8,706,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j33 View Post
corriellen - I personally like Map Room in Bucktown.
Great bar.
Quote:
I also like Hop Leaf in Andersonville, and have attended a reading or two by some local authors there.
Also great.

Quote:
If you are into folk music, I believe Grafton up in Andersonville has a large contingent of Old Town School of Folk music sorts that hang around there.
It's in Lincoln Square (on Lincoln) but it is a fine newer Irish pub (in that it is run by a youngish family from Ireland).
Quote:
If you want to discuss progressive politics and drink a wide selection of beer, head up to Heartland Cafe in Roger's park and go sit at their bar (I don't believe it has a television).
And the Red Line Tap next door has excellent live music. I like the Bluegrass on Tuesdays.
Quote:
That being said, when I want to watch a White Sox game in a bar, I want to watch a White Sox game in a bar. I like that balance in my life, and I like that it exists here (as it does in many other cities).
And there's not a thing wrong with that.

Some other spots I like include the Huettenbar in Lincoln Square (when it isn't SUPER packed), Old Town Ale House on North Ave near Second City, Town Hall Pub in Boystown (just an old, hippie dive bar. Not a gay bar.), the Gingerman in Wrigleyville (a not-so-sports-bar spot in the middle of sports bar MECCA), The Green Mill (if you dig jazz at all), and sometimes Quenchers on Fullerton/Western.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:13 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,361,801 times
So far, so good from everyone. For beer I will add:

Villains (http://www.villainschicago.com/regular.html - broken link) - I know, corny name - but great beer selection, a lot better and extensive than what their online menu shows.

Fireside Restaurant & Lounge - It can be sports oriented up to a point, but it's more of just a regular hangout spot with great beer and pretty good food.

Beer Bistro - 'nuff said

The Blind Robin, Green Eye Lounge, Lemmings - all owned by the same person/group I believe. Not the most extensive lists, but nice selection, and good music and people.

Clark St. Ale House

Cool to hangout, not bad beer:

Charleston - music, chat

Danny's - music, readings, chat

Honestly, there's just way too much. This is your friend:

Chicago Beer Map

I just started going down the list alphabetically and picked the ones that I think fit your description, and that I've been to and enjoyed. I only got to "D".

Hop onto a Metra Electric line and head out to Flossmoor, IL for Flossmoor Station. It's worth the trip for a nice lazy Saturday afternoon in a nice town.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:18 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,221,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
So far, so good from everyone. For beer I will add:

Villains (http://www.villainschicago.com/regular.html - broken link) - I know, corny name - but great beer selection, a lot better and extensive than what their online menu shows.

Fireside Restaurant & Lounge - It can be sports oriented up to a point, but it's more of just a regular hangout spot with great beer and pretty good food.

Beer Bistro - 'nuff said

The Blind Robin, Green Eye Lounge, Lemmings - all owned by the same person/group I believe. Not the most extensive lists, but nice selection, and good music and people.

Clark St. Ale House

Cool to hangout, not bad beer:

Charleston - music, chat

Danny's - music, readings, chat

Honestly, there's just way too much. This is your friend:

Chicago Beer Map

I just started going down the list alphabetically and picked the ones that I think fit your description, and that I've been to and enjoyed. I only got to "D".

Hop onto a Metra Electric line and head out to Flossmoor, IL for Flossmoor Station. It's worth the trip for a nice lazy Saturday afternoon in a nice town.
Guys-- I posted the definitive on Chicago Brew Houses. I believe it's somewhere in the Chi sub-forum. For anyone who likes beer in Chicago, I suggest you read it. I think the thread was "Chicago brewhouses" or akin.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:25 PM

1,253 posts, read 1,361,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Guys-- I posted the definitive on Chicago Brew Houses. I believe it's somewhere in the Chi sub-forum. For anyone who likes beer in Chicago, I suggest you read it. I think the thread was "Chicago brewhouses" or akin.
Doh, I thought so. Oh well. Go seek it out young corriellen!

And corriellen, your question about why don't all the artists live in Lincoln Park, because it's so nice and pretty? Think about it for a second.

Old 06-12-2009, 12:28 PM

1,240 posts, read 1,221,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERS-One View Post
Doh, I thought so. Oh well. Go seek it out young corriellen!

And corriellen, your question about why don't all the artists live in Lincoln Park, because it's so nice and pretty? Think about it for a second.
Here's the link: Microbrews and Microbreweries in the Chicago area

Lots of other people offer great advice and suggestions as well. Maybe even you were in this thread (forgot)

Old 06-12-2009, 12:30 PM

12,062 posts, read 18,648,139 times
coriellen -- how is an artist supposed to afford the rents you pay by the lake?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago