Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,106,669 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
Judging by everything I've heard and read about Chicago, it seems like a rotten, stagnating cesspool and breeding ground for corrupt community organizers.
Wrong forum, socrates

Old 06-16-2009, 04:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikMartinsen View Post
Judging by everything I've heard and read about Chicago, it seems like a rotten, stagnating cesspool and breeding ground for corrupt community organizers.
Don't forget that because of the rampant over breeding among us Messicans, a person can't walk down the street without being pummeled by tacos al pastor.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:33 PM

346 posts, read 730,711 times
OP, even though it's not exactly "productive" to talk about how much you hate a place, it still is interesting. Much of what you said is true. I live in a building in the loop that is nothing but loud sorostitutes, who slam their doors 24/7. I know I have my loyal haters that will jump on me for saying anything bad about the city. It is a nice city, in the sense that it's easy to get around and very walkable, but that is really the only plus. I'm actually really disappointed, because I was so excited to move here, envisioning a totally different place, where people are, dare I say, NICE and down to earth, but it is quite the opposite.
The biggest negatives I've found are:
socially (had yet ANOTHER horrible date on Saturday)
the abundance of sorostitutes, or course,
expensiveness, due mostly to totally corrupt politicians that idiots keep electing, and of course,
the weather. I knew that winters were cold, but this crap continuing into June is just plain ridiculous. If I wanted Seattle weather in June, I'd be living there right now. I can't stand this crap anymore! I'm moving to either TX or CO, where I've been told, the weather is warm and awsome right now.
It is always very disappointing to get your hopes up and then get so let down and to make the effort to move somewhere, only to have to pick up and go again, but I guess those are learning experiences and figuring out what sort of place is right for you. Good to hear you found a place that fits, I hope I will soon too.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:32 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Don't forget that because of the rampant over breeding among us Messicans, a person can't walk down the street without being pummeled by tacos al pastor.
Look, can you people just stop popping babies on the buses and trains? I mean I'm welcoming to all but sheesh, it's a messy and exasperating experience for all nearby.

Old 06-16-2009, 05:47 PM

264 posts, read 716,790 times
racism? mods?

Old 06-16-2009, 05:50 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,513,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4eversearching View Post
OP, even though it's not exactly "productive" to talk about how much you hate a place, it still is interesting. Much of what you said is true. I live in a building in the loop that is nothing but loud sorostitutes, who slam their doors 24/7. I know I have my loyal haters that will jump on me for saying anything bad about the city. It is a nice city, in the sense that it's easy to get around and very walkable, but that is really the only plus. I'm actually really disappointed, because I was so excited to move here, envisioning a totally different place, where people are, dare I say, NICE and down to earth, but it is quite the opposite.
The biggest negatives I've found are:
socially (had yet ANOTHER horrible date on Saturday)
the abundance of sorostitutes, or course,
expensiveness, due mostly to totally corrupt politicians that idiots keep electing, and of course,
the weather. I knew that winters were cold, but this crap continuing into June is just plain ridiculous. If I wanted Seattle weather in June, I'd be living there right now. I can't stand this crap anymore! I'm moving to either TX or CO, where I've been told, the weather is warm and awsome right now.
It is always very disappointing to get your hopes up and then get so let down and to make the effort to move somewhere, only to have to pick up and go again, but I guess those are learning experiences and figuring out what sort of place is right for you. Good to hear you found a place that fits, I hope I will soon too.
"Sorostitutes"! Never heard that one. Gotta remember it. Funny!

As far as weather goes, if you've been paying attention - the weather across the nation has been screwed up this month - especially in Colorado.

Yahoo!

It is a shame though you haven't encountered any nice and down to earth folks.

When you say corrupt politicians are to blame for everything being expensive, are you referring to the sales tax?

Old 06-16-2009, 07:10 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,123,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
racism? mods?
lighten up hippie

Old 06-16-2009, 07:39 PM

346 posts, read 730,711 times
Yeah I was referring to the insane sales tax here. Also, the issues with jacking up parking meters and whatnot, but at least I don't have a car, so that helps a lot.
My friend in Denver did mention the insane storms and things there this month, but I'd like warm thunderstorms way more than cold drizzle. That's why I'm not in Seattle right now.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:24 PM

21 posts, read 67,311 times
I lived in Chicago for 12 years (and I am from the mid-west). I am wondering if you left your neighborhood? I think you have really overgeneralized a small percentage of the population. I did not have the same experience.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:45 PM

896 posts, read 1,399,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Feedback: Chicago's not the problem. If you had even an ounce of the creativity you profess to possess, you'd be able to enjoy yourself regardless of where you ended up. You landed in a city of 3 million people and dozens of neighborhoods and hundreds of theaters, music venues, libraries, museums, etc, and where did you end up? Sports bars.

Don't hate Chicago because the only place you could locate was Cubby Bear.

(By the way, at what point do people like this guy say, "Maybe it's me?"?)
Sometimes it is not always the person. I agree with the original poster. Chicago people are all about going to the sports bar. Yes, there is a lot of things to do here, but people tend to cling to sport bar and watch a game culture. Furthermore, if the people suck what does it matter, and it is not always the person. Sometimes people do not fit into a certain culture. Granted the Chicago culture pretends to be world class and full of the culture, but the truth is it is full of bunch of midwestern, blue collar hicks with a sprinkle of educated people. The few educated people that are here are clicky and closed minded. Btw, you can not enjoy yourself with any activity if you do fit in with the people!! I have to emphasize this because the people on this messageboard do not seem to understand that. Plus, I am more into a lack back athletic culture i.e. out west, California, and the Chicago people just do not work for me. Please people get over yourself everybody does not fit with everyone. Also, the op was right, Chicago does have an inferiority complex because the post would not be 20 pages long. I wish you guys would quit whining and accept how people in Chicago are blunt, clicky and not world class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago