U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:46 PM

3,108 posts, read 4,964,777 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShoreSoxGo View Post
Okay you want to talk passive aggressive move to seattle or san fran. Or even better the south. Come on dude, give me a break chicagoans are alot more in your face than pretty much everyone who isn't further north east than us.

To some degree I can agree. Chicago can be a crude thuggish city in some respects. That for better for worse is our culture. But I challenge you to go to a city like Oakland or St. Louis, or memphis, where 80% of these cities pretty much resembles an NWA rap video from 1993. Or take a strole around nueva mexico city..I mean LA... these places make chicago look like manhattan.

It's a shame you can't differenciate between a college town and a big city. You should have just hung around the university or went up to evanston.

You probably were not exposed to much "high" culture. It's all on the gold coast, or where my parents live in the north shore suburbs. Our downtown. We have gallaries, orchestras, symphonies, and museums too you know. You should have really tried a google search.

Agreed, but hey atleast we are not like Boston. Alot of racism comes from the people who are offspring of Irish and Italian and Polish Immigrants. Usually not more than a couple of generations removed from the stockyards when their people were persecuted. Now they get to pass the buck. Hypocritical I know, but thats the way it is around here. Always has been.

This is getting silly.

Talk about passive agressive, you should have put your foot down and found some different people to hang out with.

Oh forgive people in chicago for being able to kick back enjoy themselves and their friends and be themselves and enjoy *gasp* a domestic beer. And for some one who is what ? 30 years old, you have alot of nerve commenting on fashion considering your picture on your profile? Have you ever heard of hipster bingo? You would classify as the "over 30" hipster. http://www.catbirdseat.org/catbirdseat/bingo.html

Now I see where some of this repressed anger is comming from, LOL

Well be sure to tell us how living like peasant in nyc is.

Thank god you never crossed my path, I would be in a military prison.

Ummm Idk all about Chicago is Manhattan compare to the thugs in LA proper. If that was 100% true, then Chicago wouldn't had over 500 murders last year. I notice that you live on the North Shore, so your entry coming in the city is the Northside. While when I go to the city, I come on the south end. One city, two different attitudes and enviroments

Last edited by Chicagoland60426; 06-10-2009 at 06:55 PM..

Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 PM

9,170 posts, read 13,662,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCC View Post
60614: Unfortunately you can't read tone here, but you sort of deserved that. Rather than the personal attacks, why can't anyone just move on to a new thread if they don't like what I have to say about my experience. Ok, you wouldn't want to hang out with me and Chicagosox threatened to do bodily harm if I were still in the city. I get it. I understand, but if you would rationally think, for a moment, that perhaps I am doing a bit of research to get opinions about those who struggle to like Chicago. Those are the stories I am looking for. Not what city could be worse. Not that I suck because you assume I'm a hipster, which I'm not and is passe anyway... Please do share your stories and the reasons you don't like Chicago. That is all I am interested in hearing. No need to get hurt feelings because I don't like your city. I know it is a very sensitive subject because of the deep inferiority complex that Chicagoans have about their city.
For a second I almost respected your post - until you had to go trash your compentency with that comment that strangely just backs up my entire previous post.

I also never thought you were a hipster, and my feelings are far from hurt I'm too excited about margaritas at 8pm for that...

Hasta luego...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:47 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 9,779,496 times
It isn't so much a sensitive subject as the ridiculous manner in which you chose to begin the subject of this discussion.

Everyone who lives in chicago has plenty of things they do not like about it, but the manner in which you chose to engage the subject was so over the top that nobody is going to take you serious to actually discuss it.

You came off as someone who didn't like his sorority girl girlfriend, or her friends, and then decided to paint a region of almost 10 million people, from a myriad of ethnic and social backgrounds, as nothing but a bunch of thuggish hayseeds. Then you wonder why people won't seriously engage your topic of discussion, it is because it is a silly topic of discussion.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:49 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 212,821 times
El Jardin? Ok, I liked that place too...

Old 06-10-2009, 06:50 PM

That's actually the one place I refuse to go!

Mayan Palace.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
That's actually the one place I refuse to go!

Mayan Palace.
Oh, a few years ago they were known as the best. Always knocked me on my a**.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:53 PM

Cesars has the ones that always doomed me. Two mega frozen blue's and I was swimming out the door. Then it was off to boystown for a night of terrible decisions.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:16 PM

For those who want to engage more on this topic please check out:

Why I think Chicago sucks The “Ness” in DarcNess

I know you're out there...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:17 PM

4,338 posts, read 6,071,434 times
Damnit. I got shoulder checked walking back home from work. Again.

Alright, HCC. I'll give you that one. We have got to stop doing that to each other.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:19 PM

36,588 posts, read 57,867,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mas23 View Post
wow I've seen this before!!!!!!
http://books.dreambook.com/noahtaylor/****cago.html (broken link)
LOL, busted. For being such a creative city, you'd think a New Yorker wouldn't have to stoop to plagiarism to make their point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago