Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 03:32 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,438 times

Advertisements

I'm curious to hear other's reasons for not liking Chicago. This is NOT a thread to tell of all the reasons you love Chicago or to defend it. While I'm sure valid, I'm not interested in hearing those stories here.

Can anyone relate?

I lived, or rather endured, Chicago from 2000-2005. I moved there with the best intentions, a good job offer out of school. My first exposure was Michigan Ave and apartment hunting on the North Side mid-afternoon when everyone was at work and the area was vacated. So, I never got the full picture or a feel for the people before moving there. I did notice it wasn't the best dressed city I had been to, but it seemed to have good museums, shopping and lots of young people like myself looking to have a good time. I thought, back then, "I can make this work!"

WRONG!!!

By 2004 I was depressed, miserable and not able to sleep.

I've forgotten or blocked a lot of it, but here are some of the reasons I loathe Chicago: (these are from my experiences)

1. Passive-aggressive. Don't confuse small pleasantries with friendliness or kindness. People in the Mid-West are bred not to be direct, it is considered rude there. They are raised to be "nicey-nice". They don't actually want to know you or how you're doing or what you're doing. It is just a formality to smile all the time, guffaw and talk nonsense at all times. I have NEVER met such back stabbing, nasty, two-faced liars in all my life! They aren't "nice" at all.

2. People are thugs-they really are! I happen to look young for my age, I dress well and for a guy, I guess I fall into the handsome, classic good looks category. This really bothered people in Chicago, where most guys are fat, balding and dress like ****. I had people shoulder-check me on the street (men AND women), in bars and come up to me and say, "**** you!" for no reason. People seemed to be really angry and looking to start fights. I mean the city itself is run by criminals. Oh, and by the way, be off the streets after the Cubs lose. Especially if you're gay or non-white. It will be taken out on you.

3. Intellectual stimulation. F'uggetaboutit! You will not find it here. Maybe if you are at University of Chicago, but, seriously, I didn't know anyone who read (literature. I'm not talking Cosmo, Maxim or The Red Eye) or could have an informed conversation about anything other than big 10 sports and beer. I happened to have gone to good schools (another point of contention among the locals...Yale? WTF?) I needed some kind of intellectual outlet and found NONE!

4. High culture is an upscale sports bar in Chicago.

5. Totally racist. I was shocked by the attitudes.

6. The accent. I mean, I now live in Brooklyn, which is known for having a very strong accent as well, but it's charming. The Chicago accent is absolutely the worst, save, maybe Boston. "Haaaaay you guys! Waaaaant some naaaachooos? "

7. Obsession with sports bars. GAG!!! I can't over-state this one. If I were in a group setting and suggested a decent place to eat or have drinks, I would be overridden with, "naaaah....I want some bar food and wanna watch the game!"

8. Where is this leading? Overall lack of sophistication. In NY, at a party for people in their late 20s-early 30s, you meet people with ambition and goals, dreams... Intersting careers, writers, designers, tops of their fields in finance or whatever. Well dressed, well read, up on current events and yes they can be annoying, don't get me wrong. You might break open some wine and the latest indie hits are playing in the background. It is all very grown-up and civilized. In Chicago, sadly, every party I went to had beer funnels, beer pong, stocky girls in tight, black pants and dudes in over-sized jeans or pleated khakis, t-shirt and french blue dress shirts, beer guzzling and acting like they were 19 back at the frat house at Michigan State. (or fill-in-the-blank Big 10)

9. Drunkards abound! My girlfriend in Chicago had gone to one of the Big 10s and was in a sorority where they had t-shirts made that said, "Alpha-holics." Her girlfriends would get together for their "Sex and the City" viewing nights and wear these t-shirts proudly. I would see girls at 3 AM putting their finger down their throat trying to puke on the sidewalk, guys completely passed out on top of each other, people holding on to cars as they tried to get home. Everyone there leads a life of desperation and the only way to forget about it is to get ****ed up every night of the week.

10. Everything there, even the good stuff, even being able to afford a nice apt in my 20's with a doorman, dinner at the new-hot restaurant, the lake in the summer, or whatever, seemed completely and totally mediocre.

What did I like? hmmm...the parks flanking the Art Institute (not Millenium Park). Also, it was pretty accessible, though there were few places I wanted to go and since I wear a medium and everyone else there wears large, xl or xxl, I could always find my size at sales, I can't do that in NY.

Last night, on the subway going back to Brooklyn, as I was crossing the bridge, I looked out my window, overlooking Manhattan and breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God I'm NOT in Chicago!!!

Last edited by linicx; 08-27-2009 at 04:32 AM.. Reason: TOS Violation

Old 06-10-2009, 03:35 PM

3,047 posts, read 9,033,708 times
I don't like Chicago because I equate its' citizen's ability to smile to pulling teeth. Not many are cheerful. There seem to be more have nots than haves. Plus, I like 80's and 90's. So, obviously Chicago isn't my "cup of tea." I don't like how Chicago is corrupt and everyone just accepts it. That's about it, I have many more "loves" than "hates" when it comes to the city of Chicago.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:38 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
This should be fun.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:39 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCC View Post
9. Drunkards abound! My girlfriend in Chicago had gone to one of the Big 10s and was in a sorority where they had t-shirts made that said, "Alpha-holics."
Your profile says you're gay, or am I being passive-aggressive?

Old 06-10-2009, 03:40 PM

1,966 posts, read 6,076,609 times
HCC: Some of your social characterizations are somewhat accurate but it is nothing short of phenomenal how much of the cultural scene you are totally ignorant of. Makes me wonder if the post is even sincere.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:41 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,445,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
This should be fun.
http://i136.photobucket.com/albums/q188/anjoderapina/0000048.gif (broken link)

Old 06-10-2009, 03:44 PM
HCC HCC started this thread

88 posts, read 290,438 times
SC: That relationship surprised me too...that is for a different thread, however.

AJ: Oh, trust me I AM VERY SINCERE in this post. I never said Chicago doesn't have culture, btw...I'm addressing people's relationship to it and the creative community's general lack of connection to the greater art scene.-A broad statement, but not here to defend, just want to know if anyone else relates. I cannot possibly be the only one who feels this way about Chicago.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:47 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
Surlycue, Lol. Exactly my thoughts - but we don't have the popcorn smiley here.

Old 06-10-2009, 03:50 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HCC View Post
I'm curious to hear other's reasons for not liking Chicago. This is NOT a thread to tell of all the reasons you love Chicago or to defend it. While I'm sure valid, I'm not interested in hearing those stories here.

Can anyone relate?

I lived, or rather endured, Chicago from 2000-2005. I moved there with the best intentions, a good job offer out of school. My first exposure was Michigan Ave and apartment hunting on the North Side mid-afternoon when everyone was at work and the area was vacated. So, I never got the full picture or a feel for the people before moving there. I did notice it wasn't the best dressed city I had been to, but it seemed to have good museums, shopping and lots of young people like myself looking to have a good time. I thought, back then, "I can make this work!"

WRONG!!!

By 2004 I was depressed, miserable and not able to sleep.

I've forgotten or blocked a lot of it, but here are some of the reasons I loathe Chicago: (these are from my experiences)

1. Passive-aggressive. Don't confuse small pleasantries with friendliness or kindness. People in the Mid-West are bred not to be direct, it is considered rude there. They are raised to be "nicey-nice". They don't actually want to know you or how you're doing or what you're doing. It is just a formality to smile all the time, guffaw and talk nonsense at all times. I have NEVER met such back stabbing, nasty, two-faced liars in all my life! They aren't "nice" at all.

2. People are thugs-they really are! I happen to look young for my age, I dress well and for a guy, I guess I fall into the handsome, classic good looks category. This really bothered people in Chicago, where most guys are fat, balding and dress like ****. I had people shoulder-check me on the street (men AND women), in bars and come up to me and say, "**** you!" for no reason. People seemed to be really angry and looking to start fights. I mean the city itself is run by criminals. Oh, and by the way, be off the streets after the Cubs lose. Especially if you're gay or non-white. It will be taken out on you.

3. Intellectual stimulation. F'uggetaboutit! You will not find it here. Maybe if you are at University of Chicago, but, seriously, I didn't know anyone who read (literature. I'm not talking Cosmo, Maxim or The Red Eye) or could have an informed conversation about anything other than big 10 sports and beer. I happened to have gone to good schools (another point of contention among the locals...Yale? WTF?) I needed some kind of intellectual outlet and found NONE!

4. High culture is an upscale sports bar in Chicago.

5. Totally racist. I was shocked by the attitudes.

6. The accent. I mean, I now live in Brooklyn, which is known for having a very strong accent as well, but it's charming. The Chicago accent is absolutely the worst, save, maybe Boston. "Haaaaay you guys! Waaaaant some naaaachooos? "

7. Obsession with sports bars. GAG!!! I can't over-state this one. If I were in a group setting and suggested a decent place to eat or have drinks, I would be overridden with, "naaaah....I want some bar food and wanna watch the game!"

8. Where is this leading? Overall lack of sophistication. In NY, at a party for people in their late 20s-early 30s, you meet people with ambition and goals, dreams... Intersting careers, writers, designers, tops of their fields in finance or whatever. Well dressed, well read, up on current events and yes they can be annoying, don't get me wrong. You might break open some wine and the latest indie hits are playing in the background. It is all very grown-up and civilized. In Chicago, sadly, every party I went to had beer funnels, beer pong, stocky girls in tight, black pants and dudes in over-sized jeans or pleated khakis, t-shirt and french blue dress shirts, beer guzzling and acting like they were 19 back at the frat house at Michigan State. (or fill-in-the-blank Big 10)

9. Drunkards abound! My girlfriend in Chicago had gone to one of the Big 10s and was in a sorority where they had t-shirts made that said, "Alpha-holics." Her girlfriends would get together for their "Sex and the City" viewing nights and wear these t-shirts proudly. I would see girls at 3 AM putting their finger down their throat trying to puke on the sidewalk, guys completely passed out on top of each other, people holding on to cars as they tried to get home. Everyone there leads a life of desperation and the only way to forget about it is to get ****ed up every night of the week.

10. Everything there, even the good stuff, even being able to afford a nice apt in my 20's with a doorman, dinner at the new-hot restaurant, the lake in the summer, or whatever, seemed completely and totally mediocre.

What did I like? hmmm...the parks flanking the Art Institute (not Millenium Park). Also, it was pretty accessible, though there were few places I wanted to go and since I wear a medium and everyone else there wears large, xl or xxl, I could always find my size at sales, I can't do that in NY.

Last night, on the subway going back to Brooklyn, as I was crossing the bridge, I looked out my window, overlooking Manhattan and breathed a sigh of relief. Thank God I'm NOT in Chicago!!!
wow I've seen this before!!!!!!
http://books.dreambook.com/noahtaylor/****cago.html (broken link)

Old 06-10-2009, 03:53 PM

3,645 posts, read 8,312,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Surlycue, Lol. Exactly my thoughts - but we don't have the popcorn smiley here.

got you covered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago