Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2009, 01:05 AM

180 posts, read 378,402 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
A self proclaimed well-read gay guy spends his time here dating a sorority girl and hanging out with the drink-til-you-puke crowd. And he wants to understand why he was miserable here?

Brilliant.
LOL

Post of the year!

Old 06-16-2009, 12:08 PM

2,503 posts, read 3,541,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
There's a bunch in Humboldt Park between California and Western and some more in Logan Square too in smaller numbers... Hipsters are already in Bridgeport [/i]
the up-and-coming hipster rows:
Humboldt Park: California from Chicago to Division, Flying Saucer to Feed
Bridgeport: Morgan (!) from 31st to 35th, Bridgeport Coffee to Zhou B.
Logan Square: primarily Milwaukee from California to Logan, but if the Whistler and New Wave Coffee don't strike you as hipster nothing will

there are others, too, but in case you were wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Meeting interesting friends is not unlike meeting potential significant others: Go do something you're interested in, and find folks there who share your interests. The rest will come.
bingo! although maybe "joining in" just comes to us Carolinians?

Quote:
A self proclaimed well-read gay guy spends his time here dating a sorority girl and hanging out with the drink-til-you-puke crowd. And he wants to understand why he was miserable here?
um, wow. never bothered reading the OP. as another slight gay man of color, I'm pretty sure I'd despise living in Lincoln Park-Lakeview, too -- so that's why I don't. I wouldn't live on the Upper East Side, or in the Marina, or Kitsilano, or Georgetown, or Buckhead, or whatever silly post-frat scene you can find in [fill in the blank city]. however, someone that smart and cultured and indie and cutting-edge should be able to read a travel guide. (they're not just for tourists anymore!) I could have forgiven someone ten years ago, when books only covered Chicago from the Loop to Lakeview -- but today, even boring Fodor's or Frommer's guides now bubble with enthusiasm about Pilsen galleries and East Village restaurants. (Zagat doesn't know jack about our town.) so yes: gripe less, get out more.

Last edited by paytonc; 06-16-2009 at 12:41 PM..

Old 06-16-2009, 02:02 PM

504 posts, read 1,493,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
You know, I keep hearing this but I've spent a lot of time in Bridgeport over the last 18 months or so and I have yet to see them. Where are these supposed Bridgeport hipsters? What are their hangouts? I had heard Mitchell's on Halsted near 33rd was a potential hipster spot, but when I went there all I saw was a bunch of bros wearing Sox hats, which is about what I expected except that they were drinking decent beer instead of Old Pile. Then there's that hoppin' vinyl record shop pretty much across the street from Mitchell's but it's been there since the 70s so it well and clearly predates any supposed hipster invasion.
imo, the "hipster" presence in Bridgeport is overrated, and I should know, because I live in Bridgeport and I'm what you'd probably call a hipster (20s, graduate student, ride an old road bike, enjoy obscure films and electronic music). It's very common to hear that Bridgeport is an "up and coming" hipster enclave but things happen pretty slowly around here, and I don't think it's really worth mentioning yet. Judging by what people say about Bridgeport you'd think it's comparable to Logan Square or East Pilsen (or well on the way) but it's just not.

If you want to see Bridgeport-dwelling hipsters, such as they are, there are several art galleries, Co-Prosperity Sphere on Morgan is the biggest and most interesting (really, don't be judgmental, just check it out) and the Bridgeport Coffee Company on Morgan/31st. As for bars I think Bridgeport hipsters typically go to the Skylark on Halsted/Cermak (not technically in Bridgeport) or to the various neighborhood bars like Bernice's. I've brought friends to the Redwood Lounge on 32nd/Wallace because it's very close to my apartment. They've all liked it, but I've yet to see any other hipster-looking people in there.

So there isn't much of this kind of thing, but there's more than enough for some people to b**** about hipsters "taking over" the neighborhood.

JoeyPants: Jimbo's is closed.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:46 PM

2,793 posts, read 6,122,630 times
Well, let me chime in with my negatives.

High Taxes
Corrupt city government
Congestion (althought NOT bad for its size)
Too many Hispanics
People can be rude or cold
Weather in the winter
High cost of living compared to the rest of the midwest

All in all I love Chicago. If you hate Chicago go live in podunk, Iowa for a couple years and let me know how ya like that instead. There are worse things.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Podunk, IA aka Marion, IA?

Old 06-16-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Podunk, IA aka Marion, IA?
Fill in the blank, Iowa.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Fill in the blank, Iowa.
Fill in the blank that doesn't have hispanics, Iowa?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Fill in the blank that doesn't have hispanics, Iowa?
Oops that quote bothers you, huh?

Old 06-16-2009, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zz4guy View Post
Oops that quote bothers you, huh?
They don't bother me. But if that's your thing.

Old 06-16-2009, 04:09 PM

323 posts, read 502,940 times
Judging by everything I've heard and read about Chicago, it seems like a rotten, stagnating cesspool and breeding ground for corrupt community organizers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago