Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 03:18 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
So let me get this straight; you prefer that we don't have any Gay or Black friends?
Yes, you have me pegged. This is exactly what I meant. Please, only have friends who are lilly white and straight as an arrow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 04:53 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
Yes, you have me pegged. This is exactly what I meant. Please, only have friends who are lilly white and straight as an arrow.

That's what I figured, the way you criticized people who say they have Gay or other minority friends. Otherwise why criticize such people?

Old 07-01-2009, 08:44 PM

725 posts, read 1,849,631 times
I love that now I am being accused of criticizing people for having gay friends when I got slammed in the first place for bringing a 4 year-old to a parade because I don't want him to be close-minded. It's kind of funny, actually - that you should accuse me of this. Ironic.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:52 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa Rica Chica View Post
I love that now I am being accused of criticizing people for having gay friends when I got slammed in the first place for bringing a 4 year-old to a parade because I don't want him to be close-minded. It's kind of funny, actually - that you should accuse me of this. Ironic.
I dunno, you say you did the one thing but you actually did criticize people for having gay friends. I don't know your story, I just know what you say.

Hell for all I know you're a 84 year old in a rest home with an active fantasy life, Hell, for all you know I am.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:43 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Hell for all I know you're a 84 year old in a rest home with an active fantasy life, Hell, for all you know I am.
Well, if the "29" in Irishtom29 is for 1929, you would be 80 years old... Just sayin'.

But who am I to judge? I've got the word "kid" in my handle, and I'm a thirty-something. I'm not trying to meet Chris Hansen--it's just a Bob Dylan reference.

Old 07-01-2009, 09:45 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwaiter View Post
Actually right and wrong do exist, it's not like everyone has an opinion and their opinion is right, there is clearly a wrong opinion when it comes to homophobia, racism, etc...
Everyone is different, thats my point. And yes, there is right and wrong, but where I think homosexuality is wrong, others think its right. We all have our opinions on matters, so noone should be able to point the finger. Comprende?

Old 07-01-2009, 09:47 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,792,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Everyone is different, thats my point. And yes, there is right and wrong, but where I think homosexuality is wrong, others think its right. We all have our opinions on matters, so noone should be able to point the finger. Comprende?
Sure, but by saying "homosexuality is wrong" you are, in essence, pointing the finger. It's not exactly a "live and let live" philoshophy when you condemn the most basic relationship in a person's life.

Old 07-01-2009, 10:22 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Let's set the record straight in this thread before it gets closed.

Quote:
I dunno, you say you did the one thing but you actually did criticize people for having gay friends. I don't know your story, I just know what you say.

No, what you did was purposefully and intentionally misinterpret CRC when she called out rockinrolla for pulling the worst internet trick: "I have a gay friend", which makes everything OK. It's a completely unsubstantiated claim that's supposed to make someone sound more reasonable.

It doesn't, and you should know better than to add this distraction to an argument.

How dare any of you gang up, much less on a woman, with such sickly arguments. You purposefully obfuscate an argument in an attempt to avoid actually having to stand up for your ignorant beliefs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
Well, I didn't turn my brother-in-law into a homosexual so that I could have a trump card when a conversation about the gays pops up, C. I'm merely saying that he's gay, I'm ok with it, and that's about it.

But, I guess since he also thinks you're a parental twit for plopping your kid into a stroller and taking him to hang out at a very public display of flamboyant sexuality, he's a "norrow-minded douchebag" too, huh?
This is the post in question. Do we actually know if rockinrolla has a gay friend? Who knows? We can't prove it, but apparently he can make up a member of the community in question to support his claims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
You don't have an opinion on this subject matter. You do not get to form an opinion on someone else or what they do with themselves, because they are adults exercising their rights in the Land of the Free. All you are allowed to do in this world is say "this is not right for me".

How dare you make a judgment over the lifestyle of another. You of all people, Steve. You, who live in the far flung suburbs of a city you cling to and defend when you don't even live here. If you want to sling hypocritical mud, I've got this fistful and it would like to meet your face. IrishTom, another fabulous hypocrite, flipped the hell out when we suggested that he be limited to where he can smoke because its noxious fumes have detrimental effects on some of us.

Here, I think is the heart of the argument:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrolla View Post
Oh oh, here it comes, the generalization that anybody not enthralled with the parade of sticky-sweet gaynessness must be a raging racist. Take it easy Mappy, I've got no problem with your getting your kicks by sucking dudes off, even black ones. Party on, sport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
Here's my take on the whole gay pride parade, or gay pride in general:
I want you to read what I'm about to type, because in lieu of breaking your nose, I'll have to use reason.

It doesn't matter what you think. Your opinion means nothing. The Gay Pride Parade commemorates the fact that thirty years ago, gay men were legally prohibited from gathering together. They weren't allowed to dance together, to live together or god forbid, to gather together in groups larger than a specified number.

You've never been part of a community that can still vividly remember having the living **** beaten out of you because of what you are. You've never been legally proscibed in any manner relating to what you really, truly felt were personal characteristics you could never change... and should never have to.

It doesn't matter if this involves standing on a float in a thong and nothing else. Or dressing up in drag. They are caricatures that express exaggeration. But let's examine the exaggerations of other "pride" parades: the all-white ghosts of the KKK with their burning crosses and bibles. The hate speech and racial epithets of the white power movement, which amazingly enough is actually a separate event from the KKK. Book burning Christians. NIMBYs who live in Steve-O's hinterland of tract housing and scream rape at the mere mention of public transportation or infill.

We're not talking in the long long ago, when we can forget that it's been less than a century since the time CRC and myself wouldn't have been able to vote because we were women. We're not even talking about the centuries and centuries ago when black people were slaves who also couldn't vote, because that was so long ago in the eyes of history. We're talking thirty ****ing years ago.

Thirty years, and the sexual choices of another were the cause of so much pain and frustration and persecution because people like you three had thoughts about things like that. Because ignorance like yours circumscribed, limited and outright denied the freedom of another.

People like you busted down the doors, shoved others in jail, even got away with outright murder and Constitutional rape because of what you decided was wrong.

People like you, who "think" things. People like you, who "make decisions" about "right and wrong". Where in god's name you ever feel that you have the right to pass any sort of judgment I don't know. But please, continue to share with all of us your moral superiority.

It goes so far beyond the Gay Pride Parade.

So in the spirit of the gay pride parade, never forget and **** you. The whole "gay pride" thing is about the ability to be open, in public, with the same rights as everyone else got. To hell with you and any other closed minded bigot who thinks. **** you and anyone else who tries to limit the rights of another because they "think" the choices of someone else are wrong.

And how dare you gang up on a single woman here or anywhere else. You should be ashamed, or at the very least, as disgusted with yourselves as I am.

In the spirit of the Gay Pride Parade, they're here, they're *****, and yet who really came out of the closet in this thread? What type of people did you find yourselves to be? The mother, who wants her child to appreciate the diversity of others? The flunkie, who thinks that it's just OK to call the actions of another wrong or immoral? Or the hypocrite who can't see beyond his own choices but still has found time to judge the actions of another?

And in the fantastic words of a float I saw: **** you. Please.

Last edited by coldwine; 07-01-2009 at 10:37 PM..

Old 07-01-2009, 10:23 PM

1 posts, read 1,438 times
the parade was SUPER so many cute boys

so many wine spritzers to drink

super fun

super fun city to be gay in

Old 07-01-2009, 10:27 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,662,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i<3lakeview View Post
the parade was SUPER so many cute boys

so many wine spritzers to drink

super fun

super fun city to be gay in

Oh jesus, you're back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago