U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 10:09 AM

894 posts, read 1,531,061 times

Advertisements

do you think this is accurate

Median price heat map - Chicago and suburban property values -- chicagotribune.com

click on chicago...it shows that englewood has a slight rise in median house prices while places like hyde park lincoln park have seen declines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 10:12 AM

1,967 posts, read 3,809,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
do you think this is accurate

Median price heat map - Chicago and suburban property values -- chicagotribune.com

click on chicago...it shows that englewood has a slight rise in median house prices while places like hyde park lincoln park have seen declines
slight? It shows a 92% increase in Englewood with a median price in the upper 2's. Enough said.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 AM

308 posts, read 482,588 times
A median house price of $282,500 in Englewoood? Isn't the first rule of real estate location, location, location? Unless they have built some incredible mansions that are selling for the lower 300's, I don't know who would be paying that kind of money for anything around there.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:24 AM

264 posts, read 478,162 times
uicjohn, think about it. chicagis the largest middle class black place in america, and some seperate parts of englewood are nice and commercial and lively and by transportation etc... so location for some ppl is good while not for others. i know many ppl who rather live in englewood than lincoln square, guess who? like i just said. visit the area by the college for example one saturday afternoon, u will be impressed.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:31 AM

I agree there are some blocks of Inglewood with very nice homes, some new construction, etc. No way on earth do things sell for that price (292 median). That's a complete joke.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 AM

21,774 posts, read 37,293,575 times
I am sure that the data is 'accurate' -- when there are small number of closings that often causes the median to surge or fall dramatically. That is why zillow and the other automated sites try to weight the results, unfortunately ANY method that does not take into consideration the actual property and its quality (or lack of any redeeming) quality will result in a value that does not accurately reflect likely values...

Old 06-15-2009, 11:33 AM

308 posts, read 482,588 times
I guess that my comment was a little bit naive and not well thought out. However, at the same time, even though there might be some parts of Englewood that are not as bad, I would have to think that as a whole it is not that desirable. I don't care what your background is or what type of people you like to live around; crime is crime. The crime numbers don't lie and I don't know anybody that wants to live where they fear being robbed or even worse.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
I am sure that the data is 'accurate' -- when there are small number of closings that often causes the median to surge or fall dramatically. That is why zillow and the other automated sites try to weight the results, unfortunately ANY method that does not take into consideration the actual property and its quality (or lack of any redeeming) quality will result in a value that does not accurately reflect likely values...
I'm not sure at all. I suspect it includes multi-flat units, commercial buildings, etc. People rarely if ever spend that much in that area. No way.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:50 AM

894 posts, read 1,531,061 times
i guess im suprised because just a few years some of the areas were considered places to be and now you see prices changing by -15 percent etc

Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 AM

1,749 posts, read 1,718,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carantini View Post
uicjohn, think about it. chicagis the largest middle class black place in america, and some seperate parts of englewood are nice and commercial and lively and by transportation etc... so location for some ppl is good while not for others. i know many ppl who rather live in englewood than lincoln square, guess who? like i just said. visit the area by the college for example one saturday afternoon, u will be impressed.
False.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago