U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2009, 10:28 PM

760 posts, read 762,571 times

Advertisements

Festivals held on the public way cannot demand an admission. They can solicit a "donation", but you are under no obligation to pay. Many organizers try to mislead the public into thinking that they must pay, usually by placing barricades and staffing them with bouncers and what not. Nonsense. The public way belongs to the public and there is no requirement to pay.

So if you feel like forking over $10 bucks to be in the presence of a bunch of drunk frat boys then open your wallet, but you are by no means required to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2009, 10:43 PM

569 posts, read 1,186,985 times
That's why its a RECOMMENDED donation.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,508,842 times
What about at public parks? I tried to go to The Raven at Chase Park a couple of weeks ago and stated that very fact but they wouldn't let me in.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:56 PM

760 posts, read 762,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
What about at public parks? I tried to go to The Raven at Chase Park a couple of weeks ago and stated that very fact but they wouldn't let me in.
For some reason or another the parks district is willing to rent out parks to private entities. Not sure their reasoning for it, but in those instances you do have to pay, think Lollapalooza and Millennium Park. I was referring to "Street festivals" I checked with the City of Chicago's Special Events office and they confirmed that organizers cannot force you to donate any amount.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 PM

280 posts, read 595,976 times
I know the Northalsted Market Days charges a $10 donation. I've never had the nerve to refuse. I suppose you could, but it seems kind of mean. The merchants association depends on that to pay for the portapots, security and street cleaning. The city blockades the area to motor traffic (for which they charge a stiff fee) and does nothing else. If you attend, you are part of the event and should make some contribution to the expenses. If you think the event is nothing but a get-together of "drunk frat boys" maybe you should just stay away and not pay anything at all.

Old 06-18-2009, 10:59 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,294,522 times
Now if we could only invalidate the requirement to pay fricken $6-7 for beers and listen to (mostly or tired) crappy cover and tribute bands.

The same bands play at every fricken fest. I swear most of these bands have been playing the same fests for 10-15 years.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:03 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,508,842 times
^^At least beer I have paid that much for at other events, concerts and sports venues. At St Mikes last weekend they were asking $10 for a small plate of funnel cake.

Old 06-18-2009, 11:07 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,294,522 times
I'll give them a funnel cake.

I mean WTF the average yearly salary of most of their church goers is like 150k.

I am sure they get plenty in the collection plate.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:09 AM

170 posts, read 340,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
I know the Northalsted Market Days charges a $10 donation. I've never had the nerve to refuse. I suppose you could, but it seems kind of mean. The merchants association depends on that to pay for the portapots, security and street cleaning. The city blockades the area to motor traffic (for which they charge a stiff fee) and does nothing else. If you attend, you are part of the event and should make some contribution to the expenses. If you think the event is nothing but a get-together of "drunk frat boys" maybe you should just stay away and not pay anything at all.
My husband and I went last year and chose not to pay because it was optional. We are/were almost totally broke so we mainly just walked to and down the street. I think we bought the cheapest food we could find.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:54 AM

188 posts, read 367,584 times
I didn't pay for Midsommarfest in Andersonville last weekend. But I didn't really "go" to the festival -- I was just running my normal errands, and told them so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago