Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 09:18 AM

17 posts, read 47,650 times

Advertisements

So I am moving out to Chicago in 2 weeks to start my career, and I'll be starting as a sales rep and I am looking to buy a new car in the next few days. Because of all of the things I will be lugging around, it was suggested from a few people that I buy a crossover SUV, so as to not completely make a mess of my car and still keep everything in it. My question for you guys is do I really need to get 4wd or could I get away with simply Front Wheel Drive? The extra costs in getting 4wd is really what's getting me since money will be tight for my first few years. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2009, 09:50 AM

35 posts, read 113,445 times
You'll be fine with a front wheel drive. I drive a tiny two door front wheel drive and I've never gotten stuck. The only time I think a four wheel may come in handy is when the street plow traps you in a two feet wall of snow. A 4wd though will give you the "let is snow", "bring it on" driving confidence. You could even get away with driving a rear wheel if you get winter tires as I did in the past but there's always that worry factor that you'll get stuck.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:40 AM

1,953 posts, read 4,946,719 times
I have AWD and I love it. Nothing like watching everyone shovel their cars out of the snow and me just drive over it. But most of people in Chicago do have fwd cars, just be prepared to shovel a bit

Old 06-23-2009, 10:48 AM

725 posts, read 1,843,202 times
I shovel. It's not that bad unless it's bitter cold out and it isn't bitter cold most days. Shovelling keeps you warmer.

Old 06-23-2009, 11:59 AM

414 posts, read 880,814 times
I'd say FWD...the few times I was stuck some shoveling did the trick or it was too cold for my engine to start anyway. Plus, you get a workout and save on gas :P .

I have to admit though, when I had a 4WD Jeep Wrangler it made getting through the snow so much easier...especially when we got 16in of snow in 24hrs in Columbia, MO. But that thing got awful mileage...I was happy when I was able to get it over 13 mpg.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:50 PM

28,455 posts, read 85,063,327 times
If you are going to buy a "crossover" that DOES NOT HAVE 4WD in some place like AZ, TX or CA and then drive it here you will be BURNED BAD at trade-in time as those "sun belt" crossovers are WORTHLESS on the Chicago used car market. HUGE price difference!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:08 PM

1,464 posts, read 5,493,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk340497 View Post
So I am moving out to Chicago in 2 weeks to start my career, and I'll be starting as a sales rep and I am looking to buy a new car in the next few days. Because of all of the things I will be lugging around, it was suggested from a few people that I buy a crossover SUV, so as to not completely make a mess of my car and still keep everything in it. My question for you guys is do I really need to get 4wd or could I get away with simply Front Wheel Drive? The extra costs in getting 4wd is really what's getting me since money will be tight for my first few years. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

I drove a front wheel drive car for years. Had 6 of them and a rear wheel drive van in my years here. Ya, they work here, but can be a pain in the butt if we get that "one storm" of which every year we get hit at least once really good. I now have an AWD SUV and have to admit that I will never go back to anything but AWD. Is it a neccessity? No, but is it nice to have, heck ya. I get decent mileage with it too all things considered since it's an SUV. 18 city 22 highway. As for a 4X4, you can keep those down in the hills. We don't need them here.

Old 06-23-2009, 09:48 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,637,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tk340497 View Post
Buy a jet.

Everyone knows that if the cold touches you, you'll die instantly.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:11 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,221,214 times
In winter the train things went up and as I proceeded the train was like 15 feet away!
I gave my car all it had and it slid sideways through the snow.

Old 06-23-2009, 10:18 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,426,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
In winter the train things went up and as I proceeded the train was like 15 feet away!
I gave my car all it had and it slid sideways through the snow.
Where was this at? That happens to me all the time with the Kedzie brown line stop. The arms are always up and I think I'm safe until suddenly the train is baring down on me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago