U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-24-2009, 03:38 PM

224 posts, read 626,390 times

Advertisements

I drove around and saw there is a small section of Armitage in Lincoln Park, but the street ends or changes to a different one. The other Armitage is longer, and intersects Humboldt Blvd. Is this part of Armitage considered Humboldt Park?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 03:45 PM

3,221 posts, read 5,969,096 times
yep- Armitage divides HP and Logan Sq.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:48 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,483,499 times
Armitage west of Racine becomes Cortland. It begins again at Elston a 1/2 block north of Cortland.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:54 PM

816 posts, read 1,250,231 times
When Armitage Ave. first picks up again at Ashland, you are in Bucktown, then when you head West I believe you are in the south part of Logan Square or on the Logan/Humboldt border

Old 06-26-2009, 10:30 PM

2,498 posts, read 3,212,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Armitage west of Racine becomes Cortland. It begins again at Elston a 1/2 block north of Cortland.
Armitage doesn't exactly "become" Cortland. Armitage ends at Racine, and if you make a left on Racine the next street it hits is Clybourn, and that's where Cortland starts.

And Armitage actually begins again a block <i>east</i> of Elston. There's a short little street (I forget the name) that comes off Cortland heading north, and then makes a 90-degree turn to the left, at which point you're on Armitage.

(I know all this because I've been taking quite a few walks in the vicinity recently.)

Old 06-26-2009, 10:58 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,483,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Armitage doesn't exactly "become" Cortland. Armitage ends at Racine, and if you make a left on Racine the next street it hits is Clybourn, and that's where Cortland starts.

And Armitage actually begins again a block <i>east</i> of Elston. There's a short little street (I forget the name) that comes off Cortland heading north, and then makes a 90-degree turn to the left, at which point you're on Armitage.

(I know all this because I've been taking quite a few walks in the vicinity recently.)
And I drive it from Armitage and Larabee everyday to get on the highway. For purposes of Arm-Cort "zig-zag"ers my description was fine. If the OP was looking to become a topogrpher, your description would serve them well.

Why the hell are you walking around the Southport/Cortland industrial corridor by the way? Some kind of shady business seems to go on by that bridge nightly when the cops park their cars horizontally and disallow motor traffic on the bridge.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:04 AM

2,242 posts, read 4,099,535 times
Some people like to take walks at night.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:02 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,212,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
And I drive it from Armitage and Larabee everyday to get on the highway. For purposes of Arm-Cort "zig-zag"ers my description was fine. If the OP was looking to become a topogrpher, your description would serve them well.

Why the hell are you walking around the Southport/Cortland industrial corridor by the way? Some kind of shady business seems to go on by that bridge nightly when the cops park their cars horizontally and disallow motor traffic on the bridge.
I stand by my previous statement. Armitage and Cortland are two separate streets... heck, once you get west into Bucktown, they coexist parallel to each other.

And to answer your question, I like to take long walks in the city and explore different areas... and up until the weather turned hot and humid the past week or two, I was doing a lot of it -- up to eight or ten miles a day. And ever since I was a kid growing up in Cleveland, I've always been somewhat fascinated with industrial areas (my mom used to take me for walks through Cleveland's "Flats" area before it became an entertainment district).

I've never felt unsafe around the Southport/Cortland area... but I should clarify that I take walks over there only during the day, never at night.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago