U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-02-2009, 09:39 PM

42 posts, read 78,235 times

Advertisements

In looking for an apartment, I am finding several that fit what we seek, but the utilities are not included. Can anyone give me an idea what heat, cooking gas, water, and electric (assume window a/c unit) are for a one bedroom apartment (assume 800 sq ft)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:12 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,470,634 times
It will vary widely with the kinds of heat you have (GFA, Radient or Central) and the age of the building/windows. Older buildings are drafty and tougher to properly heat than more recent construction. Water/Trash should be included in rent.

Old 07-03-2009, 01:00 AM

170 posts, read 335,516 times
I'm not even sure what our utilities are (my husband handles that; I don't need the added stress of knowing ow much money we don't have that we're spending. ha.) but I definitely recommend finding a place with heat INCLUDED in the rest. It will likely mean that the heat is radiator heat and that you will need window air conditioner units in the summer, but seriously, I don't want to have to pay to heat this apartment when it hits -14 again! I suppose it wouldn't be as bad if it were a tiny apartment, or better yet, a studio, but the idea of heating a place in this city just terrifies me.

Maybe it's not so bad? Someone can clarify that. heh.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:07 AM

328 posts, read 920,887 times
Default 1BR, Heating bill

I have a 1BR apartment Central Heat and Air Now, and I used to have a 1BR with free steam heat and window Air Conditioners. Here's how it broke down:

1BR - Steam Heat/Window Air:
Summer - Gas - Minimum to keep it on, Electric - 70 - 100 per month (I ran two window air units)
Winter - Gas - Minimum to keep it on - Electric - 30-50ish, dpending on when I was home

1BR - Central Heat and Air:
Summer - Gas - Minimum/Average - Electric - 70-90 per month
Winter - Gas - 100-130 per month - Electrick - 30-50 per month

You DEFINITELY save money with steam heat, but most of the buildings that have steam heat are old and dilapidated. Do I miss having free steam heat? You bet! Would I be willing to give up in-unit laundry, high vaulted ceilings, Dishwasher, and 200 square feet of room to only save 10 dollars on rent and have free heat again? No.

It's a cost/benefit analysis for me. If you are renting a 1BR or Studio, don't be afraid of heating bills. If you own/rent a home, THEN it's time to be afraid of massive heating bills!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago