U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 PM

5 posts, read 15,387 times
Default Safety in Edgewater/Magnolia Glen

Hi all,

I'm going to be moving to Chicago this fall and I've already found an apartment in Edgewater (specifically the 5700 block of N. Winthrop). I'm a twenty-something female, so I am especially concerned about my safety. Of course, since I've already found an apartment, there is little I can do now, but I am just wondering if this is the type of area that is okay for me to walk around in and not get harassed or harmed. If I'm at class really late, I'll be smart and take a cab home or something. I've done some research on Edgewater from some of the previous posts, but a lot of those posts are from 2007/2008.

Also, I read in one post from a year or two ago that it can take up to an hour on the El to get downtown. Does that still apply? When I last visited the area, it took about 30 minutes.

Any other advice you could offer would be much appreciated! I'm moving up from the South, but I've lived in/visited medium to large cities in the past (including Chicago multiple times). However living alone in a large city is a completely different story!

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 08:00 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,596,080 times
It's fine. I'm 20 something, female, moved up from the south, live on the same block and haven't had a problem in two years.

Eh, it only takes an hour if the CTA is being particularly terrible that day.

Also, where are you going to school? How late could your classes possibly last? I'm starting UIC in the fall and will have classes that last until 9, and have no problem taking the CTA back home (considering I was on the L at 1.30 am friday night, ha).

Old 07-06-2009, 10:29 AM

supernerdgirl,

That makes me feel better. I'll be attending the School of the Art Institute. For now, my classes will end in the afternoon, but I'm sure there will be times when I'll stay late to finish up a project. I might go out on a Friday night, as well. :-)

So overall, you like the area? I also looked at Lakeview, which seemed to have a lot more shops, restaurants, and things going on, but the apartments I saw weren't that great. Edgewater seems a lot quieter, which I like. I also noticed there are a couple of grocery stores within walking distance.

Thanks for the reply!

Old 07-06-2009, 11:29 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,596,080 times
well, if you ever feel uncomfortable about how late it is, then definitely take a cab. I still do it every now and then if I've been drinking too much or wind up in an area that would be a completely obnoxious wait for a bus to the train.

I would say it's probably about 45 minutes to the Art Institute via the L. There's also the 147 which sometimes is faster depending on traffic (runs until 12.30 am going north).

I really like the neighborhood because it is quieter and generally more affordable than Lakeview. If you want a little more nightlife but don't want to go to far, there's plenty of places to go on Clark street in Andersonville (literally walk west down Bryn Mawr and walk a little bit south on Clark). There's also a fantastic produce store on Clark, Edgewater Produce, which is across from Jewel.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:41 AM

Thanks for the info. I really appreciate it!

Old 08-28-2009, 11:31 AM

15,589 posts, read 12,643,941 times
A story of note:

The Edgewater Historical Society is being sued (which may destroy its existence) by a greedy property flipper.

"By Jeff Borgardt

CHICAGO (YN) - The Edgewater Historical Society felt it would be good for the community to fight against a new eight-unit condo development on the 6000 block of N. Kenmore Ave.
Now, they are being sued because of it.

Britta Riedel owned a 4,000 sq. ft. house built in 1909 at 6018 N. Kenmore Ave. She had a $1.15 million deal with a developer to sell. The developer then intended to build an eight-unit condo building there..."

http://www.yournews.com/copyroom/mynews.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago