Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2009, 11:40 AM

894 posts, read 2,374,439 times

Advertisements

i wonder what will happen to this building in the future, will it go down and fail or will they kick the troublesome tenants out, i kind of feel bad for the people who bought there, i wonder if they will be selling their condos or if they will try to stick it out.

CHA mixed-income building has class clash -- chicagotribune.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2009, 11:50 AM

1,966 posts, read 6,058,183 times
Sounds like hell on earth. THere are some awfully idealistic people in the world.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:04 PM

2,229 posts, read 1,680,983 times
What a mess.

The thing that really burns me is the fact that some people pay $225,000 for a condo, and their next door neighbors get theirs at an undisclosed cost... pennies on the dollar.

The segregation of ghetto housing projects was deemed a failure for one simple reason. The outcome of the residents didnt result as expected. When communities were developed to house low income people, it was expected that the community would rally together and provide for a positive individual outcome.

That didn't happen obviously as gangs, drugs, and other undesirable and illegal activites overran these developments. So what now?

Lets put them in a mixed building among professional people and maybe that will push them to take the desired steps to turn their life around. Instead, we have working people, paying good money for their home, being used as lab rats in an effort to accomodate a few who obviously can't get it together.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:05 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,223,024 times
This is hilarious.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:18 PM

2,487 posts, read 3,501,718 times
I doubt that many are having quite the same problem. What to do with those not-quite-public, not-quite-private spaces like hallways, stairs, and lobbies is an issue for any multifamily building -- and one that HOPE VI strived to eliminate by, well, getting rid of elevator buildings and pretty much requiring low-rise, "ground-related" housing (where every unit has a separate entrance from ground level).

Regardless of your neighbors, the quality of the building's management makes all the difference in multifamily housing. They're kind of like hotels: there are really bad expensive ones, and really great cheap ones, but in the end it comes down to service.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:22 PM

4,006 posts, read 6,018,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
This is hilarious.
Venom, I'm with you. I found this sort of funny. What the hell were these people thinking when they bought into a mixed income/project building? That's just plain stupid.

You've got people working 9-5 and others getting a govt check in the mail every 2 weeks just hanging out doing nothing.

I would love for some of these liberal social scientist to put their money where their mouth in an move into one of these developments. They would last about 1 week.

Old 07-06-2009, 12:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,077,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
i wonder what will happen to this building in the future, will it go down and fail or will they kick the troublesome tenants out, i kind of feel bad for the people who bought there, i wonder if they will be selling their condos or if they will try to stick it out.

CHA mixed-income building has class clash -- chicagotribune.com
Why do you ask? What's your interest in this?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Why do you ask?

cause i can..duh

Old 07-06-2009, 12:37 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,077,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
cause i can..duh
Clearly.

But you can do lots of things that you don't. So why do you choose to constantly start new threads about every negative thing in Chicago? How's public housing transformation doing in NYC? Have you started a thread to find out?

Old 07-06-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Clearly.

But you can do lots of things that you don't. So why do you choose to constantly start new threads about every negative thing in Chicago? How's public housing transformation doing in NYC? Have you started a thread to find out?
there really isnt a public housing transformation in nyc they were talking about privatizing the public housing here, plus i know a few people that live in harlem close to some public housing and i have been there at night and everything was cool
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago