Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2009, 10:10 PM

45 posts, read 151,099 times

Advertisements

Build a bigger prison?? Are you serious? What a back-assward solution. We aren't talking about releasing mass murderers. We're talking about petty criminals, potheads, and the like. I could care less if they're on the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:14 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Since Chicago is the crime capital of the world, just have the penal colony there. Why ruin the rest of the USA.
We certainly have crime issues in Chicago. But do you know what cities have higher crime rates than Chicago? Almost all of the large ones in the south--including Houston and Atlanta.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara18 View Post
Build a bigger prison?? Are you serious? What a back-assward solution. We aren't talking about releasing mass murderers. We're talking about petty criminals, potheads, and the like. I could care less if they're on the streets.
Simmer down, it was a joke.

Anyway, a lot of people put away on non-violent offenses are actually violent people--but the cops and DA couldn't make any charges stick. The prisons are crowded because people are committing crimes. And it won't help to set them loose in an economy with no job prospects...

Old 07-09-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gioobag View Post
Diversity is not a strength.
You again. Haven't you been banned enough times already under different screen names? Your persistence is pretty weird.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:43 PM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
I think we just need to declare Texas a penal colony, and send 'em all there to work in labor camps.
Either that or use them for free labor to rebuild our highways. It's not like they're doing anything else useful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post
You again. Haven't you been banned enough times already under different screen names? Your persistence is pretty weird.
You know I didn't know if it was him or someone else, but I was having the same thoughts. Sometimes I'm just not sure if I'm paranoid or not.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:26 PM

281 posts, read 928,320 times
They are all non-violent offenders who are scheduled to be released within a year anyway, and it will save the state a bundle, so why not? People get put away too long for these things anyhow. Problem is there are no jobs for citizens without prison records. The future looks pretty grim for these guys.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:40 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailerguy View Post
Problem is there are no jobs for citizens without prison records. The future looks pretty grim for these guys.
They will definitely end up as repeat offenders. The few jobs that can be had with a conviction pay so little and provide zero long term potential that it only sets people up to commit a far worse crime like armed robbery, b&e, etc.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:47 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
i think that we dont have enough thugs on the street and that the people are demanding more.
the public has spoken. do you ever get the feeling that alot of the public are thugs?

Old 07-09-2009, 11:56 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i think that we dont have enough thugs on the street and that the people are demanding more.
the public has spoken. do you ever get the feeling that alot of the public are thugs?
Wut? The public has nothing to do with this. There wasn't a vote to let all the prisoners run wild and free in their natural habitat. These are all prisoners whose sentences were due to run out within the next year, who were convicted of non-violent crimes.

Illinois is in the midst of a huge budget shortfall and releasing these people may help us to actually keep some programs that could help to prevent future idiot kids from being arrested for pulling some stupid ****. ...Or at least keep the bus routes running on schedule.

Old 07-10-2009, 08:38 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Since Chicago is the crime capital of the world, just have the penal colony there. Why ruin the rest of the USA.
No we aren't. There are plenty of cities with much higher crime rates. You might try doing some research about such things before posting your nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: