U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:01 AM

1,025 posts, read 1,376,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Illinois is in the midst of a huge budget shortfall and releasing these people may help us to actually keep some programs that could help to prevent future idiot kids from being arrested for pulling some stupid ****. ...Or at least keep the bus routes running on schedule.
Come on! - by what measure are we to believe that an IL state run beuracracy actually keeps any idiot kid from future trouble?? Close those down as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 09:45 AM

1,789 posts, read 4,173,777 times
Easy answer: legalize drugs. Prohibition never has worked, never will work. Violent gangs will erode away since they no longer have a very public transactional black market to feed off of. Violent crime will decrease as well, since there will no longer be needs for turf battles. The state will save untold billions on wasteful enforcement. Non-violent offenders will no longer be mixed with violent criminals in prison. Dedicate a fraction of that money to expanding rehab programs for those trying to quit and clean up their lives. Tax and regulate the drugs highly (same as we do for other "socially acceptable" drugs like alcohol and tobacco), and use it to plug the budget gap. Overdoses will plummet, since users will no longer have to worry about the purity or strength of a given dose.

People need to get off their moral high horses and realize its impossible to stop people from doing whatever they want to their own bodies. If they commit a crime while under the influence, then charge them with that crime. Otherwise, let people do whatever they want in the privacy of their own home.

Of course, thats not a politically popular idea, so we will keep on with the same failed policies we've wasted untold trillions on in the past century. And nothing will change.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:26 AM

925 posts, read 2,030,668 times
Next thing you will know that they want to release the infamous mass murderer Charles Manson because of his "advanced age ",LOL. Seriously , those who are not violent and are first time offenders ,halfway houses could be an option. Violent and/or repeat offenders -leave them behind bars.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:33 PM

454 posts, read 853,490 times
Most convictions should become "spent" after a period of time, as they do in Britain, etc.
Automatically sealed.

If someone is OK to be released back into society, we cannot continue to say "OK, here ya go! You're free, but with this massive millstone around your neck that will ensure you wind up back in here in 6 months time, since gainful employment is a near-impossibility because we're now in the age of $8 instant online background checks..."

If you're the country that incarcerates more of its citizens than any other on earth- like we are- you cannot also be the country that never provides a second chance.

Some convictions, yeah, the stigma should remain, however, given the chicken**** stuff we lock people up over, I would much rather see blanket "second chances" given rather than blanket policies against second chances, because of the 5% who are irreparably broken.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:16 PM

3,382 posts, read 2,564,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
Since Chicago is the crime capital of the world, just have the penal colony there. Why ruin the rest of the USA.
Actually Chicago isn't the crime capital of the world, get your facts straight.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:20 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,364,305 times
Some of the things I've seen...

The American justice system has a very large gap between what the law intended, how it is enacted and the sentences between. I've never seen a situation where jail time was a rousing success for a criminal, be they an occasional offender or a repeat.

Like drug laws. I just don't care if you want to do drugs. Keep them out of the streets, make their manufacturing safer and guaranty the purity of the substance and we'll stop so much more damage than what jail does for drug-related offenses.

Or white collar crime, which should be punished in so many other ways. I'm all for bringing back caning. I think a good public caning would both humiliate and instruct the criminal mind.

It's always amazed me just how much justice you get for your dollar. As someone who doesn't practice criminal law and has never had to defend in court, I'm sure I'm looking at it from a different perspective but good heavens. You really get what you pay for.

So how do I really feel about 10,000 non-violent inmates being released? To be honest, these are people you pass on the street every single day. You pay them to serve you coffee. You talk with them on the subway. You've asked them for the time, waited behind them in lines and they've even held open the door for you. If you can honestly remove from the entire sum of a human being everything else but the one crime they committed, well... I personally can't. I still lock my doors and avoid the wrong neighborhoods, but seriously. They've been dealt a very hard hand by an impossibly complicated system of bureaucracy that has hurt us and failed us.

And that's how I feel about it.

Old 07-11-2009, 03:21 PM

9,258 posts, read 11,473,706 times
People who commit non violent crimes should be flogged and forgiven. Flogging is cheap and so will ensure a certainty of punishment on first conviction.

We may need to amend the Constitution, that or get a Supreme Court that doesn't consider flogging cruel. Hell, if executing criminals isn't legally cruel why not flogging?

Old 07-11-2009, 03:24 PM

2,778 posts, read 5,364,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
People who commit non violent crimes should be flogged and forgiven. Flogging is cheap and so will ensure a certainty of punishment on first conviction.

We may need to amend the Constitution, that or get a Supreme Court that doesn't consider flogging cruel. Hell, if executing criminals isn't legally cruel why not flogging?
Because locking someone in an expensive concrete box with nothing approximating a support system either before or after incarceration is more humane.

The government industry built around crime is so lucrative it'll never go away.

Even if we couldn't flog them, I'd strongly support having criminals of a certain degree of offense work for free. We have a lot of failing infrastructure in this nation. Why not make the most of it?

Old 07-12-2009, 01:37 AM

9,041 posts, read 13,223,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
WBBM 780 - Chicago's #1 source for local news, traffic and weather - Up To 10,000 Illinois Prisoners May Be Released (http://www.wbbm780.com/Up-To-10-000-Illinois-Prisoners-May-Be-Released/4765062 - broken link)

they want to do this because of the economy

As usual Chimack, you present some very interesting and rational opinions/ideas about this issue. I'm glad you finally posted a random link that had to do with a conflicting/negative issue in Chicago as opposed to the usual "cosmetic" and positive thinking stories.

Old 07-12-2009, 04:33 AM

8,496 posts, read 9,679,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sahara18 View Post
Build a bigger prison?? Are you serious? What a back-assward solution. We aren't talking about releasing mass murderers. We're talking about petty criminals, potheads, and the like. I could care less if they're on the streets.
You could care less until one of your their just pot heads breaks in to your home to steal from you to buy his pot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago