Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2009, 07:31 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times

Advertisements

HI!! Looks like we are moving to the area. I am trying to get an over all feel for the area. A little about us... Three kids, late 30's, like the city, but want more suburban for the kids, good schools, lots of trees, not too far out so the city is a long drive.
So how is the Weather year round? We are in Denver now, but I am from the Pacific NW. What are taxes like? here we pay state, federal and about 9% sales tax on everything but food and clothes. Gas is 2.40 and to register your car can be hundreds. I love the mountains but as long as I have green I am great. Kids love swimming, and sports( including the Bears). You guys have our QB now, so that will be familiar!!!!!!!!! We are looking to rent at first so want to stay at under $1800 a month. Thanks so much for all your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,436 times
You should move this to the burbs forum to get a better response. Good luck on your hunt.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:47 AM

28,455 posts, read 85,354,654 times
You may have a hard time finding the things you are looking for at the price you suggest. Three kids suggests 4 bdrms, and desire for good schools and mature trees is going to push you into a considerably higher price range unless you want a long way to Chicago...

Old 07-11-2009, 12:57 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,257,297 times
The weather is four season. Cold and white in the winter; hot and humid in the summer. I'm stick my toe in the water and make a couple of suggestions. Distance is not so much an issue as Chicago has a great transportation system comprised of many parts. The only real trouble anyone has getting from point A to point B is during foul weather. IF it that BAD transportation comes to a stop or it is very slow. If you have a 4X4 you'll probably manage just fine. Folks in Illinois play state and federal plus county real estate taxes if you own. Food tax is 1% state wide. You'll find Trader Joe's, Cosco, iKea and Whole Foods in Chicago. Aldi's and Food4Less have some pretty good grocery prices.

The problem with moving into an area with a 9M MSA is it is much like a kid going into a new store with an acre of candies to pick one piece from. The choices are overwhelming. Your kids will need eye exams and school health exams if they enter K, 5 or 9 this year. K kids much be 5 prior to Sept 10, 2009 to begin kindergarten. School records are important. Be sure to bring all health and dental, etc.. It saves time and money.

My truck plates were $90, but I paid a late fee, too, because I didn't do it within 30 days after I moved.

There are a couple of towns that I can think of that has snort term leases. One is Oak Park. I'ts about 9 miles out. The school system gets good marks. You get the big old trees and greenery. What they hope when they do a short lease is you want to live in OP. I think the other town is Evanston. I do not know anything about the area except I saw the short term lease mentioned in one of the posts.

IF you want to go farther out, Naperville gets good marks too for schools, etc. IF go west on the Eisenhower past Aurora and then go south a few short miles, there is Sandwich, IL that is a basic farming area. It has always been a nice small town. It is not in the burbs, nor is it particularly close to the City. But it is not so far that it is not doable.

I mentioned a short term lease as you don't know anything about the city or the burbs. I do understand the implications of starting schools and moving twice in a year, etc.. It is just my two cents. Oak Park is an architecturally interesting area with Frank Lloyd Wright homes. .

Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,667,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
The weather is four season. Cold and white in the winter; hot and humid in the summer. I'm stick my toe in the water and make a couple of suggestions. Distance is not so much an issue as Chicago has a great transportation system comprised of many parts. The only real trouble anyone has getting from point A to point B is during foul weather. IF it that BAD transportation comes to a stop or it is very slow. If you have a 4X4 you'll probably manage just fine. Folks in Illinois play state and federal plus county real estate taxes if you own. Food tax is 1% state wide. You'll find Trader Joe's, Cosco, iKea and Whole Foods in Chicago. Aldi's and Food4Less have some pretty good grocery prices.

The problem with moving into an area with a 9M MSA is it is much like a kid going into a new store with an acre of candies to pick one piece from. The choices are overwhelming. Your kids will need eye exams and school health exams if they enter K, 5 or 9 this year. K kids much be 5 prior to Sept 10, 2009 to begin kindergarten. School records are important. Be sure to bring all health and dental, etc.. It saves time and money.

My truck plates were $90, but I paid a late fee, too, because I didn't do it within 30 days after I moved.

There are a couple of towns that I can think of that has snort term leases. One is Oak Park. I'ts about 9 miles out. The school system gets good marks. You get the big old trees and greenery. What they hope when they do a short lease is you want to live in OP. I think the other town is Evanston. I do not know anything about the area except I saw the short term lease mentioned in one of the posts.

IF you want to go farther out, Naperville gets good marks too for schools, etc. IF go west on the Eisenhower past Aurora and then go south a few short miles, there is Sandwich, IL that is a basic farming area. It has always been a nice small town. It is not in the burbs, nor is it particularly close to the City. But it is not so far that it is not doable.

I mentioned a short term lease as you don't know anything about the city or the burbs. I do understand the implications of starting schools and moving twice in a year, etc.. It is just my two cents. Oak Park is an architecturally interesting area with Frank Lloyd Wright homes. .
Wow thanks for all the info. As long as we are oh about no more than 20 miles out I think we will be ok. We both have 4x4 and are used to snow. I will check out the area you suggested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago