Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2009, 03:20 PM

42 posts, read 112,919 times

Advertisements

As I try to plan our move from Cleveland to Chicago, I find that we will have to rent a uhaul to keep the cost down (it's essentially enough stuff for a one bedroom apartment, but moving services are quoting upwards of $1,000!). So the main question comes down to whether or not to bring this old sleeper sofa we have. If we bring it, then we definitely need movers ($300). Otherwise we can just bring everything else, and buy a new sofa in Chicago. So...is it possible to get a good sofa for less than $300 delivered in Chicago? Where?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2009, 03:26 PM

894 posts, read 2,371,225 times
or you can stay in ohio..we have enough of your people here

Old 07-14-2009, 04:00 PM

328 posts, read 1,391,188 times
Default Craigslist

Quote:
Originally Posted by heartchicago View Post
As I try to plan our move from Cleveland to Chicago, I find that we will have to rent a uhaul to keep the cost down (it's essentially enough stuff for a one bedroom apartment, but moving services are quoting upwards of $1,000!). So the main question comes down to whether or not to bring this old sleeper sofa we have. If we bring it, then we definitely need movers ($300). Otherwise we can just bring everything else, and buy a new sofa in Chicago. So...is it possible to get a good sofa for less than $300 delivered in Chicago? Where?
The best advice I can give you is to look on the Chicago Craigslist near the area in the city that you will be living. There are a lot of really great deals on craigslist, and while most require you to pick it up, if you get a newer one that is not a sleeper it should be feasible for you and a friend to lug it up to your new apartment.

Also, the cheapest deal on furniture I have heard on the North Side is called "Affordable Portables". A friend of mine got a couch there for next to nothing, delivered. It wasn't exactly 300, but he didn't get the cheapest couch there.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:38 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,419,263 times
Rent a budget truck. They do not charge for mileage. Try to get the diesel kind if possible as they get much better mileage. Quote it out on their website and then call the local branch for confirmation as they will sometimes try to beat the virtual quoted price and recoop the commission. If you need to tow a car you can add a hitch for like $35.

Old 07-14-2009, 04:40 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,438,384 times
Get rid of the sofa and obtain another one here. Try to get rid of as much stuff as possible and fit everything into a large van when you move. Vans are much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago