Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:20 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,563,825 times

Advertisements

I'd say that's more of a Chicago Suburbs forum kind of thing. Check it out some time. "Is Lansing going down the dumps?" "What's happening to Elmwood Park?" etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:53 PM

945 posts, read 1,987,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandviewGloria View Post
Because home values are closely tied to race, and most people have most of their personal wealth tied up in their homes.

Wow, it's amazing how these couple of threads have turned! First the one titled "female safe in Pilsen", and then "Chicago's gang problem" with the particular video featuring a guy labeled "pilsen's finest" takes the cake.

And my honesty in one of these threads labeled me as a "self loathing Mexican", I believe, because I am honest enough to understand the faults of my own kind and not really want to be labeled as the same?

As to this comment about housing- those of you who know me through city data, know I am primarily on here due to real estate so I found it too irresistible to respond to this particular post to say that I ABSOLUTELY agree! Home values are weighed by many factors, but certainly the community, schools, and household income level are driving forces.

So as a "Mexican" (remember, actually Spaniard who grew up in MX), living in a predominantly white community (although in the 18 years we've lived here, see much more "diversity" than in earlier years), with a white wife and 4- 1/2 white, 1/2 Spanish blooded children, I can well afford my expensive home, love our community, and have never faced any prejudice of any kind, period. Now, however, if I brought several family members (aunts, uncles, cousins, and a few chickens in the back yard as a bonus) into my 4bd, 4bth home in Wheaton, IL, and had multiple cars sitting in the driveway, then probably would face some issues.

And guess what- I wouldn't fault anyone who would show their prejudice against me if I did do those things and I'd be pissed, as I agree this would be unacceptable to live next to, on any given day! So if that makes me ashamed of my own kind, once again, then so be it. Sometimes the truth hurts. But a bigger hypocracy is to get all defensive and act like you are insulted by the mere mention of the reasons we still have segregation. I don't believe whites (or better to say-mutts, since most whites have a multitude of races in them) segregate from other races. I believe it's the other way around! Other races segregate themselves, stating they are "being loyal to their culture" by choosing to live among their own. OK, if you say so! Anybody still think the Hispanic families who live in Pilsen would make fine, safe, wonderful neighbors? Go live there, then. I choose to be here, among my "own kind"; middle/upper class, great schools, great people community. My culture and my loyalty to it is still in check- just not in the tacky form you all have come to expect from most of us! And I don't see Oprah fleeing to the south side of Chicago to "be among her own" either. But then, her own will accuse her of "wanting to be white or act white"; you hear it all the time. Shameful, really! I'm quite sure she's incredibly proud to be black, but not incredibly proud of some of her "own kind", as Bill Cosby has said often! This, my friends, is why so many discusisons turn to race!

Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 PM

211 posts, read 529,940 times
Thank you. I live in a well-to-do burb, have various ethnicities in my area, and am myself part of an interracial marriage....and everyone gets along just dandy. For most normal people, the klan members and louis farrakhan puppets of the world are dinosaurs, coz it's all about social-economics now.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:47 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,239,509 times
Gee Wiz.
All this stuff being said here, and I get banned for simpler things.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinB74 View Post
You're right, Chicago does have a very significant black, Hispanic (mainly because Hispanics have so many kids and so many migrated there illegally) and Asian population. I've never had a problem with Asians but that doesn't give blacks or Hispanics the right to act racist to anyone who doesn't have brown skin which many have been doing since Obama took office. Obama is just a puppet and he was only voted into office because a lot of white people let their "white guilt" get the best of them and didn't want to be viewed as racist for not voting him in. That's the only reason why many voted a black Muslim who has a very questionable past and may not even be a legal U.S. citizen, into office.
And a lot of white people voted for Obama because they felt that either he was a better candidate or they didn't want an idiot a heartbeat away from the button. Or perhaps a combination of both.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:03 PM

760 posts, read 1,271,383 times
Quote:
A lot of white people were GUILTED into voting for Obama by the media because the media insinuated that any white person who didn't vote for Obama must be racist, leading up to the election. I know for a fact that a lot of younger white people ages 18-25 mainly voted for Obama because they wanted to be part of voting in the first black President of the United States without taking into consideration his background. I saw what is happening right now coming before Obama was elected and a lot of naive white people are going to be in for a rude awakening. You can only blame George Bush (the white male scapegoat) for so long before the spotlight is cast to the current President in office who is spending this country into a huge deficit that it may never recover from.
So much for the claims that only one or two posters are White power people, I lost count after 5. Like flies to crap, this poster sure attracts the Limbaugh crowd.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
A lot of white people were GUILTED into voting for Obama by the media because the media insinuated that any white person who didn't vote for Obama must be racist, leading up to the election. I know for a fact that a lot of younger white people ages 18-25 mainly voted for Obama because they wanted to be part of voting in the first black President of the United States without taking into consideration his background. I saw what is happening right now coming before Obama was elected and a lot of naive white people are going to be in for a rude awakening. You can only blame George Bush (the white male scapegoat) for so long before the spotlight is cast to the current President in office who is spending this country into a huge deficit that it may never recover from.
Yeah, I'm sure the fact that McCain nominated a lady with the I.Q. of a Walrus for vice president didn't factor in at all to anyone's decision. And I apologize in advance to all the Walruses of the world for that comparison.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
Yeah, I'm sure the fact that McCain nominated a lady with the I.Q. of a Walrus for vice president didn't factor in at all to anyone's decision. And I apologize in advance to all the Walruses of the world for that comparison.
I am the Walrus, I am the eggman.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
I'm not a "White power" person but I don't want to see "Black power" or "Latino power" either. White people weren't in this country first but it was primarily white people who developed the blueprint to build this country into a prosperous country and great place to live though that is quickly fading. Blacks, Latinos and to a lesser extent other groups have made minimal contributions to this country being great over the years other than draining tax dollars from the pockets of hard-working white citizens and becoming experts at playing the race card to get what they want from liberals by filing bs lawsuits etc.
As I said before, the Blacks and Hispanics that you disparagingly refer to are not going anywhere. So either get accustomed to them, or be prepared to ***** and whine for the rest of your life. It is what is is.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:43 PM

274 posts, read 709,262 times
Quote:
They don't need to go anywhere but I'm not going to allow them to "take over" and put up with their racism, either. If you're a white liberal then you need to grow a sack and open your eyes to the big picture. If you aren't white then you're racist for saying "It is what it is" instead of encouraging many blacks and Latinos to stop acting like lowlifes and to make something of themselves rather than being a drain on the wallets of hard-working people. A lot of Latinos especially have been walking around overly cocky and if they think that they are going to take over this country without any resistance, they are dead wrong.
Im shocked that you of all people would say that. -Good For You.
Your not as bad as I thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago