Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 12:12 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewthedru View Post
While I plan on buying the sticker and feels it's dishonest to skip pay taxes, I don't see it being similar to stealing from a store. When you go in a store, you aren't forced to buy the candy.
But you aren't forced to own a car, either.

Understand, I'm not saying I'm *happy* buying the danged sticker, just saying one of the reasons it is so expensive is so many people don't seem to buy it who should be. Many hands make a lighter load, you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2010, 12:33 PM

622 posts, read 1,196,588 times
I understand. I'm saying the load likely wouldn't be as heavy if the city was run more efficiently. If you believe in a zero-sum equation then every $ someone doesn't pay has to be made up elsewhere. However, if you think as I do that there is a culture of fiscal irresponsibility and entitlement in gvts like ours, then you believe that no matter how much money flows in, it will never be enough and will only serve to subsidize their wasteful ways.

Old 06-15-2010, 01:11 PM

5,288 posts, read 8,879,802 times
Quote:
I understand. I'm saying the load likely wouldn't be as heavy if the city was run more efficiently. If you believe in a zero-sum equation then every $ someone doesn't pay has to be made up elsewhere. However, if you think as I do that there is a culture of fiscal irresponsibility and entitlement in gvts like ours, then you believe that no matter how much money flows in, it will never be enough and will only serve to subsidize their wasteful ways.
Agree 100% on that. But that's why I support underdog aldermanic challengers.

Very proud to have been on the Scott Waguespack bandwagon when nobody gave him even a remote chance - I didn't even live in the 32nd anymore when I stumped for him, I just hated Matlak that much.

Old 06-15-2010, 02:09 PM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
the city seems to impose a ton of fees and taxes on us without us having a lot of say in the matter.

We have elections and you can vote and have your say. Just because you have your say is no gaurantee you'll get your way; that's politics.

Old 06-15-2010, 11:30 PM

226 posts, read 641,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-town Native View Post
Yep. And it's not even some vague tax that's hard to wrap your head around - it's a user tax. You drive on the streets and live in Chicago, and you pay it - it's not a "parking permit."

Funny how people who would condemn the morality of children shoplifting candy at the corner store see nothing wrong with stealing when it's from the government, ie, *all of us.*
I'm not sure I understand this logic, or agree that it's NOT a vague tax...

I can't think of any other city that forces you to buy a windshield sticker for no purpose other than to own the sticker... And I've lived in my share of locales in my day (yeah, yeah, I'm still young, I know).

By the logic of it being a "user tax," shouldn't that apply to every town in the entire country? What makes Chicago so special it needs an ADDITIONAL $75, as well as standard vehicle registration and parking permits (not to mention tolls, citations, etc....)?

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hxcobd View Post
I'm not sure I understand this logic, or agree that it's NOT a vague tax...

I can't think of any other city that forces you to buy a windshield sticker for no purpose other than to own the sticker... And I've lived in my share of locales in my day (yeah, yeah, I'm still young, I know).

By the logic of it being a "user tax," shouldn't that apply to every town in the entire country? What makes Chicago so special it needs an ADDITIONAL $75, as well as standard vehicle registration and parking permits (not to mention tolls, citations, etc....)?
Most towns in this area have city stickers.

Old 06-16-2010, 12:47 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,753,123 times
Quote:
By the logic of it being a "user tax," shouldn't that apply to every town in the entire country?
Why would it follow logically that because one town has a certain tax other must also?

Quote:
What makes Chicago so special it needs an ADDITIONAL $75, as well as standard vehicle registration and parking permits (not to mention tolls, citations, etc....)?

The city wants the money and has the power and political support to do so. Nothing special about it.

Some burbs make you buy a vehicle sticker.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishtom29 View Post
The city wants the money and has the power and political support to do so. Nothing special about it.
I wouldn't say the city "wanting money" is a good reason for such a thing to exist, personally...

I guess I'm just personally opposed to even more added taxes/fees, especially when they progressively make LESS sense than ones already in place...

Old 06-16-2010, 01:13 AM

3,697 posts, read 4,998,064 times
To allow automobile traffic the city of chicago must repair street, street lights, and signs so yes it is right to tax the users of the road. The city sticker is expensive but not as bad as you think. You live in an area with bad parking and regulated parking. Most of town does not have regulated parking and most people have parking for thier cars. Most near burbs also have stickers. In fact you have to get pretty far from the city to be free of city stickers around here.

Old 06-16-2010, 01:20 AM

Every city in this entire country has to "repair street, street lights, and signs." There's a reason why numerous other taxes, many which we don't frequently think about, already exist.

I just moved here from Los Angeles, a city considerably larger than Chicago with a much larger number of car-owning commuters, and they don't have a sticker system like Chicago does, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago