U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 02:44 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,518,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
While there are some veracity in terms of what you are saying - you have no clue as to the quality of life people have in Miami versus other cities.
I moved here from Pompano Beach, before that I grew up in El Portal (in Miami!), lived in Fort Lauderdale, went to college in NY and New Orleans. I have been in Chicago for more than 2 years now so I do feel that having spent 15 years in El Portal and now 2 here that I am qualified to comment on the differences. I am from a poor area of Miami and understand that there are income gaps between the poor and the wealthy. Newsflash, that is not exclusive to Miami. Try walking through the Gold Coast and then walking on 67th and Halsted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 02:49 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,518,882 times
Quote:
\Property taxes and homeowners' insurance in the State of Florida is the worse in the nation.
This is untrue. Think $3500 a year in property taxes is a lot? Try buying a house in Long Island where people pay $7,000-$10,000 a year.

I owned a home in Pompano Beach and paid $1,700 a year for windstorm, fire, theft and flood insurance. I paid $2,000 a year in property taxes. Home owners insurance on houses here may be cheaper but I cannot confirm that since I'm renting but property taxes in the burbs are certainly comparable to Florida and I don't think Illinois residents get the benefits of a Homestead exemption.

Old 07-25-2009, 02:49 AM

4 posts, read 7,390 times
Wow, well first of all i'm glad there are others that see Miami the way I do. I want to love it down here but I just CAN'T bring myself to do it! I will be visiting Chicago very soon and now I at least have some idea of where I should be searching for housing. I think it will be a much better place for me as well. Thanks a lot!

Old 07-31-2009, 03:20 PM

300 posts, read 559,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mosdwanted13 View Post
Hello everyone! Well I never thought it would happen, but after 4 years down here I CAN NO LONGER STAND IT!! The list of things wrong with Miami (and south Florida in general) is getting longer and my tolerance for certain things is just no longer there. For example my local Wal-Mart, the greeter and most of the employees don't speak english... The general level of intelligence down here is very low, drivers are borderline ridiculous and most likely illegal/without insurance. I do love the weather though!

Now I would like to ask, is Miami to Chicago an extremely drastic change? Before I moved down here I lived in Ann Arbor Michigan so the weather isn't a huge factor for me... even though I do hate snow I can deal with it. I am a 22 year old gay male, will that be an issue in this city? Lastly which neighborhoods would be ideal for someone like myself to live in? I'm going to be buying a condo preferably in a highrise. I prefer to be around a mix of people, I'm mixed Black and Japanese myself so definitely no racism here. (I've seen a LOT of on this forum) Any help please?

I would visit here many times before deciding to move here. Chicago sound great on paper but living here is a completely different story.

Yes the weather sucks half of the year and a lot of people don't go out during the cold winter months.

You want to be around a mix of people, this is Chicago. Yes there are parts of the city that are very diverse and "mixed" but there are parts of the side that are mainly one race. I would rent an apartment for one year and get a feel for the city before deciding to buy, that way you know where you want to live. If it doesn't work out, then you can move out. I would not rush to buying anything or getting very settled down. You may love it or hate in Chicago.

Old 07-31-2009, 03:26 PM

300 posts, read 559,427 times
I am about to move from Miami to Chicago myself. I don't know about the gay-friendly parts of Chicago, however I do know that Chicago has a more established LGBT community than Miami. Pretty much Belmont and Halsted, Andersonsville and a good number of neighborhoods on the Northside are filled with a lot of gay-friendly nightclubs, restaurants, businesses, etc.

Other than that - in terms of relocating; Chicago is much cheaper and affordable than Miami. I found a studio in Hyde Park for $650.
Hyde Park on the south side of town and is cheap because a lot of students rent that go to U of C. Getting to and from night life there is can be dangerous because its outter areas are basically a ghetto.

Edgewater, Lakeview, some parts of Lincoln Park, Uptown, Andersonville, Wrigleyville, etc for a good $500-$600 (but then again it might be around 300-400 sq. feet).

I've never seen anything for 500 in those neighborhoods, maybe 600 in Uptown but not any other ones.

If I were you, I would dedicate maybe about a good month or two to really looking your reasons for moving, what type of employment you can gain, how much you are willing to spend for apartments and also actually visit the city and get to know each neighborhood that you like on an intimate level. Chicago is a city where its not just about the neighborhood, but also the block or street. You can easily go from bad to upscale in a matter of a couple of feet.

Agreed

Other than that, if you are able to hustle and survive in Miami; Chicago should be easy. Miami is probably one of the hardest places to land a serious job. After I relocated from Atlanta back to Miami, it took me almost a solid year before I landed a pharmaceutical sales gig. Before then, I was hustling at different call centers (mind you I am a college graduate with 2+ years of sales experience). But, just stay on your A-game, never stop hustling and be on point with everything because Chicago will truly test your game

The job market in Chicago is not that good right now. Recently I've applied to a lot of jobs with no responses.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:05 PM

75 posts, read 129,930 times
I've never seen anything for 500 in those neighborhoods, maybe 600 in Uptown but not any other ones.

--

Chicago Reader has a lot of apartments that are going for $500 in those areas I mentioned, plus, once you start talking to real estate agents, they can easily find you something like that...

As far as the job market in Chicago --

It truly depends on what you are doing, experience, skills, people you know, etc...

I work as an inside sales account manager and pretty much once you get 2+ years of telesales account executive experience, you can pretty much land any mid-level sales gig you want. Its just a matter of the opportunity being there. Plus, maybe I see things differently. I work for a company now that is essentially a secondary vendor for pharmaceuticals. Its one of the hardest sales on Earth, but I've managed to say afloat because its necessary during times like this to make serious cold calls to places and really dig deep for opportunities and take the business. Its the same with jobs. If you sit on the computer for less than an hour a day and may only apply to 4-5 jobs, you are shooting yourself in the foot. If you are jobless or are in the job market, you need to be applying to a minimum of 20 gigs a day and consistently follow up on those job leads.

Old 07-31-2009, 04:10 PM

75 posts, read 129,930 times
But lets be frank here - Chicagoland is the 3rd largest metro area in the US. If you can't find a job there, you probably won't be able to find a job elsewhere. Places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston are always marketed as places where there are the most jobs, but having lived in Atlanta myself, I can tell you that its not all of that. Miami is one of the hardest hit cities in terms of the business environment and Miami has never been a serious city for the US business establishment. We only have like 3-4 major corporations down here, i.e. Burger King. On top of that, especially if you work in outside b2b sales, if you don't speak spanish, you will have a hard time managing. Plus, if you can't find a gig, become a teacher - CPS is always looking for special ed, early education, secondary education science/math/spanish teachers...

Old 08-01-2009, 10:16 AM

4 posts, read 7,390 times
Quote:
But lets be frank here - Chicagoland is the 3rd largest metro area in the US. If you can't find a job there, you probably won't be able to find a job elsewhere. Places like Atlanta, Charlotte, Dallas, and Houston are always marketed as places where there are the most jobs, but having lived in Atlanta myself, I can tell you that its not all of that. Miami is one of the hardest hit cities in terms of the business environment and Miami has never been a serious city for the US business establishment. We only have like 3-4 major corporations down here, i.e. Burger King. On top of that, especially if you work in outside b2b sales, if you don't speak spanish, you will have a hard time managing. Plus, if you can't find a gig, become a teacher - CPS is always looking for special ed, early education, secondary education science/math/spanish teachers...
Honestly i've never had a problem finding a job in any state. Bartending gigs tend to take an extra bit of charm, patience and frustration to score... even still i've always "downgraded" to waiting tables while I wait. Still great money and I have a lot of experience there too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago