U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 02:10 PM

75 posts, read 129,432 times

Advertisements

Chicago is truly a city where you need to go on the ground and scout out apartments. I'd personally recommend Hyde Park where you can probably find a two bedroom for around $900...I am paying $750 for a 1 bedroom in Hyde Park off of 55th and Everett -- about 2 blocks away from the beach.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 03:10 PM

100 posts, read 278,231 times
I don't understand why you people in here just referring her to some neighborhood way outside the lake and in the south side of Chicago. I don't even consider Oak Park a part of Chicago really. There are other neighborhoods in Chicago which are safe and has the diversity and integration that you are looking for. I think the Uptown/Rogers Park neighborhood, would be great for your family. You will be within walking distance to the lake, and the best thing is that you will be around many different people from different ethnic backgrounds.

It wont be only black and white, or all black, or all white which I think most of Charlotte is like. You should also try Albany Park neighborhood too.

Also do not allow the members here try to persuade you from looking into those neighborhoods due to crime. Crime is everywhere, it all comes down to what you think would be the best fit for you and your family.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 PM

154 posts, read 444,812 times
In terms of being racially diverse, I think that you would be fine in most places in Chicago. We also moved from Charlotte, last year. It seems to me that a lot more is accepted here and there is a more broad social norm than in Charlotte. We love it here and have not missed the Charlotte heat at all!

Old 07-28-2009, 04:52 PM

3,221 posts, read 6,006,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
It wont be only black and white, or all black, or all white which I think most of Charlotte is like.
Apparently you haven't been to Charlotte in a while, and no one is saying he has to move to these neigborhoods- it's a suggestion....so calm down.

Last edited by noid_1985; 07-28-2009 at 05:58 PM..

Old 07-28-2009, 05:47 PM

51 posts, read 123,868 times
Default Anyone familiar with West Rogers Park, Andersonville, Rogers Park?

I was doing some research online and wanted to know what you all thought of the following areas: West Rogers Park, Rogers Park (If they are 2 different areas, I'm not sure) and Andersonville. I really would love to be close to Lake Michigan. I am not opposed to Hyde park either if I can find a good apartment.
I have been told Hyde Park is good, but south shore is not good.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thank you

Old 07-28-2009, 06:11 PM

3,221 posts, read 6,006,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
I was doing some research online and wanted to know what you all thought of the following areas: West Rogers Park, Rogers Park (If they are 2 different areas, I'm not sure) and Andersonville. I really would love to be close to Lake Michigan. I am not opposed to Hyde park either if I can find a good apartment.

Thank you
I think most on this site would agree that you should steer clear from West Rogers Park. Andersonville is nice, but Im not sure if you'll be able to find a 2 bedroom in your price range

Old 07-28-2009, 07:12 PM

100 posts, read 278,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post

Thank you
Andersonville is just small gentrified neighborhood with a bunch of yuppies. There is nothing wrong with West Rogers Park or Rogers Park in general, so dont let these folks in here mislead you. Sure as you drive by block by block, an area might appear to be shady but it is not like you will be hearing gunshots everyday or you will be seeing an example of urban blight. Great family values and you will meet very good open minded people in Rogers Park.

Hyde Park is okay I guess, but in my opinion that neighborhood is the epitome of segregation. You have many white people who refuse to go any further west and south from the University of Chicago.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:28 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,253,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenourtv View Post
...There is nothing wrong with West Rogers Park or Rogers Park in general, so dont let these folks in here mislead you. Sure as you drive by block by block, an area might appear to be shady but it is not like you will be hearing gunshots everyday or you will be seeing an example of urban blight....
I challenge you to go live by Howard and Custer/Damen. I bet you would not last a month.

Old 07-28-2009, 07:54 PM

2,242 posts, read 4,123,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
I challenge you to go live by Howard and Custer/Damen. I bet you would not last a month.
Pwtz/

Old 07-28-2009, 08:03 PM

15,589 posts, read 13,253,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Pwtz/
Typical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago