U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-26-2009, 06:48 AM

51 posts, read 119,929 times
Default I'm considering moving to Chicago from Charlotte

Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm hoping to get feedback from local Chicago residents.

My situation is a bit unique (I think)

I have two young sons and am considering raising them in Chicago. We currently live in Charlotte North Carolina which is a nice place but I have visited Chicago many times and think it has so much more to offer. I am hoping to find a neighborhood or suburb that is culturally diverse and not too expensive. I will be changing careers, possibly doing back to school. So affordability is a big question mark right now.

The unique part is that my sons are african american and I am white. I am also a single parent ( at the moment ).

Do you feel that people of different cultures and ethnicities inter-mingle in Chicago or do they typically keep to themselves and associate with people in their own groups?

If you have any suggestions on neighborhoods or suburbs that would be more accepting of my family. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 08:11 AM

1,802 posts, read 3,102,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
Hi everyone, this is my first post. I'm hoping to get feedback from local Chicago residents.

My situation is a bit unique (I think)

I have two young sons and am considering raising them in Chicago. We currently live in Charlotte North Carolina which is a nice place but I have visited Chicago many times and think it has so much more to offer. I am hoping to find a neighborhood or suburb that is culturally diverse and not too expensive. I will be changing careers, possibly doing back to school. So affordability is a big question mark right now.

The unique part is that my sons are african american and I am white. I am also a single parent ( at the moment ).

Do you feel that people of different cultures and ethnicities inter-mingle in Chicago or do they typically keep to themselves and associate with people in their own groups?

If you have any suggestions on neighborhoods or suburbs that would be more accepting of my family. I would appreciate any and all feedback.

Thank you.
How old are your kids?

Old 07-26-2009, 10:18 AM

My kids are 6 and 7.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM

3,419 posts, read 4,291,636 times
OP: I saw your post and although I cant tell you anything about Chicago, if you are still pursuing options for cities and if you can stand the weather - Minneapolis is a city you should research and consider. Its affordable, great schools, good choices in housing, excellent options for higher education and a large portion of the cities are mixed families - I think you would be suprised at the amount and how much you would fit in.

Old 07-26-2009, 10:34 AM

1,323 posts, read 2,297,749 times
I would suggest Oak Park. It's a diverse suburb with a public school system which is much better than Chicago's. Oak Park is also on the "el" line which makes public transit easier.
Some may consider Oak Park too expensive, however, you can find bargains in apartments if you look around.

There should be no problem "inter-mingling" (to answer your question). Very common.

Good luck to you

Old 07-26-2009, 10:38 AM

3,220 posts, read 5,805,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShowYouChicago View Post
Did you adopt or are your sons bi-racial??
.................................................. .................................................. ...

How much are you willing to spend?

Old 07-26-2009, 11:03 AM

My sons are adopted. It's hard to say how much i'm willing to spend. It depends on how much money i'm making. Right now in charlotte, I pay 850 a month. I am thinking between 900-1000 for a two bedroom. Am I dreaming? Can I find that in Oak Park? I have been in that area and actually taken the L downtown. Very nice. I was told to be careful because there are less safe areas very close to Oak Park. I'm coming up in September for a scouting trip. Any suggestions on the safer borders of Oak Park.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

Thank you for the suggestion. One of the reasons I love Chicago is it's on Lake Michigan. (I love the great lakes). How far is Minneapolis from a great lake. I will probably look it up but was just asking. I think Duluth MN is on or close to a lake...

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM

2,778 posts, read 5,307,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Did you adopt or are your sons bi-racial??
.................................................. .................................................. ...

How much are you willing to spend?
Asking questions like these is a social nono. Aside from being hideously tacky, you should know better than to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
OP: I saw your post and although I cant tell you anything about Chicago, if you are still pursuing options for cities and if you can stand the weather - Minneapolis is a city you should research and consider. Its affordable, great schools, good choices in housing, excellent options for higher education and a large portion of the cities are mixed families - I think you would be suprised at the amount and how much you would fit in.
She didn't ask about Minneapolis. No one wants to know about Minneapolis. Keep that godforsaken city out of this discussion.

Old 07-26-2009, 11:17 AM

3,220 posts, read 5,805,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Asking questions like these is a social nono. Aside from being hideously tacky, you should know better than to do this.
There was nothing malicious about my question, she didn't have a problem with it- like she said "her" situation was unique so I wanted to inquire about it more, so you can go somewhere else with that rhetoric

to the OP I wasn't trying to be offensive, but like another poster suggested Oak Park or even Hyde Park would be good nieghborhoods for your situation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago