Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 05:46 PM

12 posts, read 34,698 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I've lived in the Chicago Suburbs (Elmhurst) for most of my life and spend 5 days a week working in the loop right next to the train stations. Work is going well and I feel that living in the parents house (don't laugh!) is holding me back from responsibility and further success. I already have a close friend that would like to move there with me.

Areas I think I would like: North Loop, Bucktown, Lakeview, Wrigleyville (maybe).

A bit about me:

*I'm a 24 year old, white, straight male.
*I’m a conservative (more libertarian) and Christian.
*I’ve never done drugs nor like being around them.
*I will have a roommate
*Almost all of my friends are in Chicago Suburbs, so my priority is meeting new buddies in the city.
*I like to stay in shape and workout 5-7 days a week
*On weeknights I workout, play ice hockey, read, or hang with friends.
*On weekends, I enjoy going out and having some beers with friends…but try not to get crazy. I like spending time outdoors.
*I like any outdoors activity; Hunting, Fishing, Kayaking, Camping, Hiking are all things I love to do.
*I plan to start my own e-commerce business soon.

Criteria:

* Rent in the area of $1200-2000 for a 2BR/2BA.
* Upscale, modern apartment
* Nice Neighborhood
* Reserved Parking or underground parking (huge plus)
* 2-3 Bedrooms, 2 bathrooms
* Close to the lake, minutes to the loop, night life within walking distance
* Good gym closeby that is lifter friendly
* Parks within walking distance would be great
* Laundry in-unit

That should cover it. I'd be forever in debt if you guys could help me out. What areas would be best? Are there any specific buildings I should look into?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 06:10 PM

1,912 posts, read 5,432,373 times
If you'd prefer heated garage parking to a parking spot then you should look in newer buildings like the ones in South Loop or Lakeshore East. There's a newer building a couple blocks from me on the south east side of Larabee and North in Old Town that advertises heated garage parking and I can certainly see how that'd be a nice luxury in the wintertime. If you do not want to be around drugs I would recommend staying out of the Logan Square or West Town community area. It isn't that all people or even 1/4 are drug users but the teens and 20-somethings that live in Wicker Park and Logan Square are not at all intimidated by smoking weed on the street and you will certainly catch a lot of whiffs of it in the summer months. Most city dwellers are moderate to liberal in persuasion so you'll probably want to look to live in the more monied areas for a more conservative crowd (Gold Coast, Old Town, River North, Lakeshore East and LSD highrises in Lincoln Park would be the best options).

Old 07-26-2009, 07:08 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,959,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manosteel00 View Post
Help me decide my new crib!
I suggest a Pack & Play. They may lack the charm of the old-fashioned plank-sided cribs, but they're versatile and they fold up nicely for travel/portability. My nephew used his until he was about 4.

Old 07-26-2009, 07:35 PM

5,523 posts, read 13,919,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I suggest a Pack & Play. They may lack the charm of the old-fashioned plank-sided cribs, but they're versatile and they fold up nicely for travel/portability. My nephew used his until he was about 4.
Ha! But seriously, those pack and plays are very handy. Might be a bit cramped for a 24 year old, though.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:16 PM

8,281 posts, read 23,044,357 times
West loop, Lincoln Park, Gold Coast, River North.

Old 07-26-2009, 08:53 PM

121 posts, read 322,284 times
^^ you aren't going to find a nice 2 br/2 ba let alone in unit laundry for that price range in river north, gold coast, or lincoln park. Perhaps lakeview...

Old 07-26-2009, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by softdev View Post
^^ you aren't going to find a nice 2 br/2 ba let alone in unit laundry for that price range in river north, gold coast, or lincoln park. Perhaps lakeview...
Untrue. I have a huge 2/2 in Old Town Triangle with in-unit laundry for $1200. I don't have parking though so add another $200 or $250 to that. He will definitely be able to find what he is looking for for less than $2,000 a month but if he wants the creme de la creme of luxury buildings he will be at the top of his budget.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:23 PM

12 posts, read 34,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Untrue. I have a huge 2/2 in Old Town Triangle with in-unit laundry for $1200. I don't have parking though so add another $200 or $250 to that. He will definitely be able to find what he is looking for for less than $2,000 a month but if he wants the creme de la creme of luxury buildings he will be at the top of his budget.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I spent most of the night looking but am struggling to find a place that I really find appealing.

Are there any specific buildings you could recommend so I could start there? I'm going to be looking at places over the next couple weeks with my buddy and it's a bit challenging just going "apartment shopping" in the city of Chicago without direction.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:34 PM

^^I would call these people:

Home Page - Chicago Apartment Finders, Apartment Rental Chicago Il, Apartment Finder Chicago Il, Apartments In Downtown Chicago, Downtown Chicago Apartment, Rental Apartments Downtown Chicago
Chicago Apartments | The Apartment People

and let them know your "must haves" and your "would like to haves". apartment finder services can be very helpful if you are looking more toward highrises than 2, 3 or 6 flats. often they will be able to weed out the less desirable places to save you the trouble and building management companies will tend to hire a single service for all of their buildings so they will often know if something is available for rent before it has even been posted.

keep in mind that services like this charge a fee to the landlords/management companies so you will see a difference in rent versus the kind of prices you would get from driving around and contacting private landlords but in your budget it is pretty negligible and worth saving your time to give them a try.

Old 07-26-2009, 09:36 PM

121 posts, read 322,284 times
I don't know what pipe surlycue is smoking, but A 2/2 in any remotely desirable Old Town location is not realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
View detailed profiles of: