U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 10:40 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,311,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovesCatsandDogs View Post
Be sure you can handle the extreme Chicago winters. You said you are coming from Las Vegas. Chicago has extreme weather -- mostly cold. I was just there for the 4th of July and spent most of the 4 days bundled in wool sweaters, wool pants. Chicago has weeks in the winter where the weather can be in single digits or negative digits. Also, Chicago's cold weather starts around Halloween and ends in May in my opinion (I'm originally from Florida).
LOL. Wool pants? It was 65-70 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 10:56 AM

2,242 posts, read 3,906,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovescatsanddogs View Post
be sure you can handle the extreme chicago winters. You said you are coming from las vegas. Chicago has extreme weather -- mostly cold. I was just there for the 4th of july and spent most of the 4 days bundled in wool sweaters, wool pants. Chicago has weeks in the winter where the weather can be in single digits or negative digits. Also, chicago's cold weather starts around halloween and ends in may in my opinion (i'm originally from florida).
trolll

Old 07-27-2009, 12:26 PM

15,589 posts, read 11,803,066 times
Quote:
...I was just there for the 4th of July and spent most of the 4 days bundled in wool sweaters, wool pants...
Are you kidding me?

Did you grow up in the Mohave desert?

As surlycue pointed out it was around 70 those days.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:19 PM

4,263 posts, read 5,681,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
LOL. Wool pants? It was 65-70 degrees.
Yeah. I was glad I was in South Carolina that weekend. It was in the low 80's with light humidity. After I got back, I made sure to advise people to always head to South Carolina in July in order to enjoy the comfortable summer temps.

Old 07-27-2009, 03:58 PM

35,666 posts, read 53,323,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I'd add that a newcomer to Chicago will find navigating the Chicago Public School system daunting. Most of the neighborhood schools will not be acceptable to most middle-class parents. There are some good schools (magnets/selective-enrollments etc), but getting into them is not trivial.
You certainly don't have to be a newcomer to find that navigating CPS to be an exercise in pulling out one's hair. Which of course makes it that much more daunting for a newcomer.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
Yeah. I was glad I was in South Carolina that weekend. It was in the low 80's with light humidity. After I got back, I made sure to advise people to always head to South Carolina in July in order to enjoy the comfortable summer temps.
Yeah and the temp in Charleston is 80 degrees right now WITH 82% HUMIDITY.

Right now it is 82 degrees right now with 51% HUMIDITY in Lake View.

Guess which place I would rather be right now.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 PM

4,263 posts, read 5,681,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Yeah and the temp in Charleston is 80 degrees right now WITH 82% HUMIDITY.

Right now it is 82 degrees right now with 51% HUMIDITY in Lake View.

Guess which place I would rather be right now.
That was kind of my point, that was not representative of a typical summer weekend.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdiddy View Post
That was kind of my point, that was not representative of a typical summer weekend.
Ok.

Sorry about that.

I am a little feisty today.

Old 07-29-2009, 04:49 PM

12,395 posts, read 13,438,161 times
Quote:
Be sure you can handle the extreme Chicago winters. You said you are coming from Las Vegas. Chicago has extreme weather -- mostly cold. I was just there for the 4th of July and spent most of the 4 days bundled in wool sweaters, wool pants. Chicago has weeks in the winter where the weather can be in single digits or negative digits. Also, Chicago's cold weather starts around Halloween and ends in May in my opinion (I'm originally from Florida).
sounds more like SF in the summer, than Chicago...

Old 08-10-2009, 06:18 PM

6 posts, read 7,582 times
Default Thanks for all the suggestions

I'm sort of use to the cold I lived in a place that was frequently below 0... It would start snowing in late OCT and end in March or so. I've been hearing a lot about the weather so now im having second thoughts... City looks and sounds like the perfect spot but I dont know if I could handle Blizzards all the time again. I knew it was cold but no that cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago