U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,012 times
Default Will I ever find a job in this city?

Sigh. I've been unemployed since February, and have been looking ever since. I'd ideally like to continue in the publishing/editing industry, but I've expanded to administrative work, even customer service. I use all the usual job boards, but I've noticed Craigslist seems to have more and more bogus ads. Anyone else in a similar boat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 08:22 AM

3,014 posts, read 5,833,916 times
It's all about who you know not what you know in Chicago. I saw some crazy nut on the streets, with the bums, holding a sign saying I need a job and some other stuff. She kept asking everyone walking by, do you know anyone hiring? I was like get outta here with that weak and desperate ish.

Old 07-28-2009, 09:44 AM

75 posts, read 126,787 times
Your best bet is to find a sales job and look @ other industries.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:19 AM

1,464 posts, read 3,674,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juji81 View Post
Sigh. I've been unemployed since February, and have been looking ever since. I'd ideally like to continue in the publishing/editing industry, but I've expanded to administrative work, even customer service. I use all the usual job boards, but I've noticed Craigslist seems to have more and more bogus ads. Anyone else in a similar boat?
It's not just here. The whole country is in termoil job wise. There are just no jobs. Chicago is one of the few that is still not up in the teens unemployment percent wise. You could try applying at State Farm's headquarters in Bloomington, IL as I've heard they are still doing ok, but you would have to move most likely.

Old 07-28-2009, 01:06 PM

Sales gigs are always hiring! Telemarketing, outside sales, inside sales! They don't care about your background. There is turnover and you might not have a job if you don't meet sales goals - but sales forces are the backbone of the us economy!

Old 07-28-2009, 05:48 PM

15,589 posts, read 12,667,853 times
Did you move here with no job lined up?

Old 07-29-2009, 07:09 AM

2,608 posts, read 2,776,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cxdurden View Post
Sales gigs are always hiring! Telemarketing, outside sales, inside sales! They don't care about your background. There is turnover and you might not have a job if you don't meet sales goals - but sales forces are the backbone of the us economy!
I've only worked in a sales force since college (over 3 years). It might be a good temporary job, but long term it sucks. Since companies are more and more desperate for revenue, they will find ways to cut your compensation and make you do more work and work longer hours. These managers will be all over you 24/7.

12 hour days, work weekends, take calls to your cell phone from home, while handling almost all operations (invoices, accounting, service issues), and less compensation are all to be expected.

It's a job, but I assure you that you will hate it.

Oh, and nobody is buying.....damn economy.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdubs3201 View Post
I've only worked in a sales force since college (over 3 years). It might be a good temporary job, but long term it sucks. Since companies are more and more desperate for revenue, they will find ways to cut your compensation and make you do more work and work longer hours. These managers will be all over you 24/7.

12 hour days, work weekends, take calls to your cell phone from home, while handling almost all operations (invoices, accounting, service issues), and less compensation are all to be expected.

It's a job, but I assure you that you will hate it.

Oh, and nobody is buying.....damn economy.

Yeah -- actually all of which you said is 1000% exact! Right on the muhfuggin money! However, it is a job....I'd suggest doing that temporarily until the economy rebounds and then maybe get a teaching gig with CPS or leave the US and go teach spoiled Korean kids how to speak English.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:31 PM

12 posts, read 16,327 times
The whole country is in turmoil and I think we have over an 11% unemployment rate that is steadily rising. Sucks but you are not alone in your quest for employment. :\

Old 07-29-2009, 07:37 PM

2,242 posts, read 4,033,626 times
I got two job interviews comming.

Some office around Foster and Pulaski(Never thought Id ever have a chance at an office job )
And at target....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago