U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 12:09 AM

6 posts, read 10,856 times
Default Buena Ave

How is the area of Buena Ave between Broadway and Clarendon? I am 19 and am wondering how that area is going to be to walk around at night for me and my girlfriend. We have to rely on public transportation, which I know is well-serviced to that area. Also, how is Buena Park in general? Are muggings or any gang-related incidents a problem around there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 12:12 AM

1 posts, read 252 times
It's really sad we get these questions over and over. The USA shouldn't be like this. People shouldn't have to live in the so-called "richest country in the world" and have to ask these questions. It should be a "Civil Right" to live in a safe nation, like it once was. What about citizens' "civil rights" to not have to deal with illegals, criminals, welfare, homeless, scum, muggings, urine, perverts, gang-bangers, litter, etc.?

I don't even think people who are 19 today have any conception of what it was once like, unless they ask their grandparents who never had to ask these types of things.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:29 AM

38 posts, read 49,657 times
do you really think that "illegals, criminals, welfare, homeless, scum, muggings, urine, perverts, gang-bangers, litter, etc" didn;t exist previously? The only difference is nowadays it is more publicized and talked about

Old 07-30-2009, 08:16 AM

838 posts, read 1,939,020 times
We might be the richest country by overall GDP, but we are far from being the richest by Per Capita Income.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketchupmustard View Post
It's really sad we get these questions over and over. The USA shouldn't be like this. People shouldn't have to live in the so-called "richest country in the world" and have to ask these questions. It should be a "Civil Right" to live in a safe nation, like it once was. What about citizens' "civil rights" to not have to deal with illegals, criminals, welfare, homeless, scum, muggings, urine, perverts, gang-bangers, litter, etc.?

I don't even think people who are 19 today have any conception of what it was once like, unless they ask their grandparents who never had to ask these types of things.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:15 AM

328 posts, read 872,573 times
Default Please search

Quote:
Originally Posted by billshakespeare View Post
How is the area of Buena Ave between Broadway and Clarendon? I am 19 and am wondering how that area is going to be to walk around at night for me and my girlfriend. We have to rely on public transportation, which I know is well-serviced to that area. Also, how is Buena Park in general? Are muggings or any gang-related incidents a problem around there? Thanks.
Please search the forum in the future for "Buena Park". This has been covered many, many times before.

Buena Park is a really safe area. Generally, Buena Park is between Irving Park Road and Montrose Ave. That area is near a lot of very wealthy people (the Hutchinson Ave million-dollar mansions) and a lot of families and houses. It is a very safe area.

Muggings and "gang problems" would not be an issue until you moved further north to the sketchy areas of Uptown.

Public transportation wise, it's great...for buses. You will have a 10-15 minute walk to the Red Line, so if either of you want to take the Red Line heavily i would maybe look for an apartment closer to it. Also, you are nowhere near the Brown Line, if that is an issue for you. (I know you can transfer at Belmont, but some people are very picky about what stations they live by).

Hope that answers your question...and if you search for a few minutes, you will find many, many more posts about Buena Park.

Old 07-30-2009, 12:20 PM

8,867 posts, read 12,505,151 times
I'm at Buena and Broadway right now. Never had any issues the past 18 months, and I wander the area at all hours.

There's a little sketch down by the U-Haul on Broadway near Irving Park, but it's not really DANGEROUS.

If you're on Buena you'll be totally fine. I walk that stretch to the busses on Clarendon every day, and I think it's a very attractive street.

It really doesn't get wacko until you're north of Montrose. I've seen screaming crazy people wander down Broadway, but they never mess with anyone or cause huge issues. Mostly just yelling non-sense or going to the liquor store for their medicine.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:59 PM

352 posts, read 501,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
Mostly just yelling non-sense or going to the liquor store for their medicine.
*sigh* I remember living in Uptown. Reading this thread makes me miss it. The hookers, gang-bangers, crackfiends, transsexuals, hustlers, thugs, clinically insane, and just all around messed up people.

You'll always have a soft spot in my heart.

But Buena? No sweat.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:43 PM

3,220 posts, read 5,645,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
There's a little sketch down by the U-Haul on Broadway near Irving Park, but it's not really DANGEROUS.
Wow, what is it with people and that U-Haul standing under that tree??? Everytime I go to Uptown to get my haircut people are always gathered in that spot.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:37 PM

10,065 posts, read 16,869,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noid_1985 View Post
Wow, what is it with people and that U-Haul standing under that tree??? Everytime I go to Uptown to get my haircut people are always gathered in that spot.
They sit there and try to sell their moving services to people renting U-Haul trucks. Well, most of the time they drink and get high. But it's been going on for years, and the neighborhood has been trying to get rid of them for years. Many women in the neighborhood have changed their routes to avoid the heckling. It's sad the police can't actually do anything about this.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:43 PM

10,065 posts, read 16,869,389 times
Buena Park is great. It is a solid neighborhood that feels more like Lake View than Uptown. There are a few low-income buildings scattered around the neighborhood, but most of them are pretty quiet. The only area that has spawned any sort of violent activity that I know of is the 800 block of Cuyler (near Broadway and Cuyler). There is a unit of Spanish Gangsta Disciples there that has been involved in a couple of shooting incidents over the past five years. But I walk by there all of the time, and 99% of the time it's pretty quiet.

My advice to anyone looking to live in Buena Park is to avoid the 800 block of Cuyler (for now), and to avoid living next to a liquor store since they attract a huge number of homeless people from Uptown and northern Lakeview. I'd probably avoid living directly on Broadway too, since it can be loud and large numbers of transient drunks and other skeevy people tend to pass through that corridor. Broadway in Buena Park connects the worst part of Uptown to the Chateau Hotel in Lake View. It's no wonder there are some interesting characters passing through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago