U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 AM

3,628 posts, read 6,711,153 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYrules View Post
THE ULTIMATE WORST. Dumb ***** Shi- faced (oCk masters (yes I have seen South Park if you couldn't tell) that don't know that on a green light if you are turning left, you pull out into the center of the intersection and yield out there. NOT AT THE WHITE LINE! Then this way, when the light changes back to red, you as well as the person behind you can LEGALLY complete his/her turns. You can always tell who is from out of town by the dumb *****es just sitting at the white stop bar on a green light with their blinker on not knowing what to do, or the other favorite are the dumb $#!ts that will go out into the center and then when the light changes to red, they will back up right into you to get back into the turning lane. This always gets me to give someone the horning of a lifetime. Welcome to Chicago!
are they out of staters? because when I first moved here I wasn't aware it was legal to pull out into the middle of an intersection/left turn on red.

don't assume everybody knows every little rule of Chicago/Illinois driving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 10:04 AM

36,415 posts, read 57,359,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post
are they out of staters? because when I first moved here I wasn't aware it was legal to pull out into the middle of an intersection/left turn on red.

This is the rule everywhere I've ever driven, the only exception being if there's actually a red left arrow.

My favorite habit though is "The Pittsburgh left." Common in -- you guessed it -- Pittsburgh, what happens is the when the light turns green, even if there's no arrow, the first car in the left turn lanes get to go. If there is no left turn lane, then the first person in line gets to turn left if he has his signal on. This isn't an "official" traffic law, but it's so widely practiced that the first oncoming car that technically has the right of way will still wait for the first person in the left turn lane to turn before proceeding.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
This is the rule everywhere I've ever driven, the only exception being if there's actually a red left arrow.

My favorite habit though is "The Pittsburgh left." Common in -- you guessed it -- Pittsburgh, what happens is the when the light turns green, even if there's no arrow, the first car in the left turn lanes get to go. If there is no left turn lane, then the first person in line gets to turn left if he has his signal on. This isn't an "official" traffic law, but it's so widely practiced that the first oncoming car that technically has the right of way will still wait for the first person in the left turn lane to turn before proceeding.
Well, see, in Tennessee most lights have the actual arrows because, you will get killed if you try to make a left turn once it's gone red. You will also get killed if you try the Pittsburgh idea.

And that's where I learned to drive, yadda yadda.... now I get so far out in the intersection there's no way they can't let me turn.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:14 AM

Why will you get killed if you try to make a left once it's gone red? Is red-light running that much of a problem or something?

As for pulling out into the intersection so they have to let you turn... well, that's the whole point of pulling out into the intersection -- so that they have to let you clear out of the intersection before they start going.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:28 AM

1,912 posts, read 3,483,499 times
Quote:
Why will you get killed if you try to make a left once it's gone red? Is red-light running that much of a problem or something?

As for pulling out into the intersection so they have to let you turn... well, that's the whole point of pulling out into the intersection -- so that they have to let you clear out of the intersection before they start going.
I don't know if it's anything like New Orleans but they have no lag between a red light on your side and a green on the other. The same moment yours turns red theirs turns green. For this reason red light running typically ends in t-boning there.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
I don't know if it's anything like New Orleans but they have no lag between a red light on your side and a green on the other. The same moment yours turns red theirs turns green. For this reason red light running typically ends in t-boning there.
Yeah, this is pretty much it. They just DON'T pay attention.

Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by surlycue View Post
Well, around here the lag is about 3/4ths of a second. That's why you pull out into the intersection, so that they have to let you clear out before they start rolling.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,408,554 times
Quote:

My friend had a heckuva time moving to Michigan due to the "Michigan left" where you actually turn right and then make a U-turn. I guess I've seen it in other places as well, but what is that?! Is it safer or something?

Old 08-04-2009, 11:24 AM

767 posts, read 1,310,913 times
I hat the ones that are too drunk to walk, so they have to drive instead.....

Old 08-04-2009, 01:17 PM

1,464 posts, read 3,727,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supernerdgirl View Post

No sometimes I see IL plates or IN, so they should know better. Bloomington, IL idiots were famous for this crapola of sitting at the white line and it would drive me nuts when it would happen to me when I lived down there. It's like, "ok dumb Fs open your rules of the road book and read" And for your info, it is actually legal in all states to complete your turn on red, not just here; same goes for left on red on a one way to a one way, you are allowed to do that as well, yet most don't know that because they took the breathing driver's ed test where if you're breathing at the time of the test you pass hence stricter requirements and tests are needed so that we have less idiots on the road!

Folks living in areas with little traffic are rarely caught in this pulling out into the intersection scenario though as there is never enough traffic to cause them to do this, so they have no idea what to do when a little traffic is thrown their way such as the case in Bloomington, IL. In any state however, you are allowed to pull into the center of the intersection and by law if the signal changes to red while you are legally pulled into the center, you are allowed to complete your turn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago