Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 03:50 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,249 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
Thank you for an excellent post. I see that you are in Florida--as am I. I am an esthetician, electrologist and massage therapist. I am from Illinois and have thoughts of returning to the Chicago area. However, I am totally disgusted by several of the posts in this thread which treat women as sex objects. If I wanted to be tipped for what I could provide you in that line of work, I would be charging you a whole lot more and expecting same. You would find me in some sleazy or other place which would have a reputation for such--not in an outstanding spa or salon reputed for top-notch therapy.

As a trained professional in the 3 areas listed above, I charge you accordingly for the legal and legitimate therapy/services I provide. My expectation is that you will treat me with respect and appreciate my work--with nothing "EXTRA" anticipated. That is not why you came to see me. If it is, you booked an appoinment with the wrong person & place. Do not come into a legitimate spa or salon expecting any type of sexual gratification to be bestowed upon you. You should seek out the whorehouse that is hiding behind some facade for what you want. Risk your life and your health because health & sanitary standards and are not given a second thought.

Thanks to you for the excellent post also! I guess unless you've been a LMT or know someone who has then you'll never understand how degrading it is to not only the therapist but to the profession as well to always hear the little "jokes" about happy endings and all that bs. So many men do not respect Massage Therapists as they should. We're not there to "rub" you or take care of the problem with your penis. We go to school and spend lots of money to get and hold our license proudly. THAT is why we find it offensive when men only associate you with a "rubbing one out service".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 09:11 PM

717 posts, read 2,808,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
It must be that time of the month for certain people on here.

I cannot believe how humorless some people are.
Wrong...that time of the month was last week. And...while we are at it---God, I am also entering MENOPAUSE!!!! Talk about stuff that really sucks...

Most people think I have an outstanding sense of humor...I am usually the one cracking the jokes and you will often find me poking fun at myself. You don't know me so whatever you may have to say about me doesn't affect me one way or the other....Perhaps we should start joking about what ever you may have (or don't have) below the belt. Let's discuss the size of your penis...isn't that the same thing as cleavage for a guy?

I have no intention of offending anyone with the above remarks. I just thought I would throw some of the same type of innuendo back at you guys and see how you like it. Considering that one of the moderators on this forum seemed to be also cheering you on with your remarks...which I found to be in EXTREMELY POOR TASTE.

Anyway, I can take anything you throw at me...4 kids--3 boys, 1 girl. Ages 15-22...I've heard it all and then some...

Anyway big city boys--when you want respect from women--grow up and start giving it to them...Otherwise, most of us just regard you as boy toys.

Old 08-07-2009, 10:39 PM

11,975 posts, read 31,789,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lincolnparker View Post
I guess I can don my Brioni suit. nice enough for ya?
I thought it was interesting the first time I went to Blackbird that they had a sponsorship deal with Joseph Abboud indicated on the menus. All male staff were wearing Abboud from head to toe. I wonder how that worked and if the staff had to pay for any of it... Free clothing would be a good perk. Abboud is the cheap stuff compared to Brioni, though.

Old 11-27-2016, 01:27 PM

2 posts, read 1,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
Well for me it depends on how good how good a job she does,how good looking the woman is, how large her boobs are and/or how much cleavage she shows, and whether or not I get a "happy ending."

So it drifts between 15% to 100% for me.

Wow. Your ignorance is astounding. Massage therapists didn't go to school to be sex workers. I kind of want to kick you in the balls for insulting my profession.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:00 PM

2 posts, read 1,230 times
I was paid so poorly at spas and worked half to death in the process. I want to point out a few things about the profession to those of you who need perspective.
I didn't get an hourly. People who get hourly pay make about 15 an hour and work back to back- when you're paying 80$. Remember that. Also most places hire massage therapists as independent contractors and oftentimes force us to do all the duties of an employee, and when there aren't clients we are laundry slaves for free. Also, the commission that is normally paid ranges from about 20 to $30 per hundred dollars you spend. it is a Cutthroat, very abusive industry. During times we had to work back to back in the spot because it was a busier day, we are forced to cut your time. Typically you get 50 minutes because we are forced to do that, it's not our fault. Most massage therapists got into this trade because they genuinely want to help people. there are some spots that are better, but generally speaking the whole industry is pretty cutthroat.
Don't get me started on groupon. The place I used to work at ran a Groupon deal and I ended up taking home $500 at the end of the month for the whole month as a f/t therapist. I am still paying off the credit card debt that incurred in order for me to feed myself from that happening.
Now I'm proudly a 5 star therapist in the zeel and soothe applications who give us 70% of what you are charged. If you live in a major city, I highly recommend using these smart phone apps that allow you to order massage on-demand in your home even within an hour. All therapists are vetted, tips are optional (but please cover parking ) and you can lounge in your bathrobe afterward just relaxing. You will always get full time unless you yourself are late.
Also go to private practitioners, and find a great therapist by putting an ad on thumbtack for your specific needs ( but please only do this if you're serious about hiring someone, as we have to pay for the bids we give you.) Again, you will get full service and you can even see the reviews of them from other past clients on their page when determining who you will hire.
I exclusively do the apps and my own practice. I get to spend more time on my clients, they pay less than what the spas charge around here in Chicago and it's been so much better for my career and life in every way.
but yeah, if you're going to be going to a spa or place like Massage Envy, and ESPECIALLY GROUPON DEALS I encourage you to tip generously.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:05 PM

1,769 posts, read 2,104,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymare777 View Post
Wow. Your ignorance is astounding. Massage therapists didn't go to school to be sex workers. I kind of want to kick you in the balls for insulting my profession.
1st, to burst your bubble, this thread is 7 years old.

2ndly, do you think it's insulting to not overtip for not showing cleavage?

3rdly, it's amazing how you slippery slope the "showing cleavage" to being a sex worker.

Old 11-27-2016, 02:07 PM

Anyways, I read through this whole thread.

The coldwine vs. softdev and others debate was pretty interesting, and same with coldwine vs. some others.

It seems the debate in this thread kind of went back and forth to do you tip 15-20% in restaurants vs. massages? What about haircuts?

You know what my question is... what's the point of getting a professional massage? I'm 28 and never had 1 in my life. Am I missing out on something?

Old 11-27-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
Tips are also how you get to know people. Large tips are how you secure tables at the lunch rush at high end establishments. It's how you walk past the line at clubs. It's how the bartender hears your voice above all others. It's why the hair stylist always makes room for you at times you need. It's what tells the maitre'd that you always have your name down for dinner reservations.

Welcome to the big city, kids. You want good service, you gotta pay for it.
This post has somewhat of a mentality that contradicts some of the other mentalities, i.e., against tipping extra for cleavage.

Anyways, all this networking and crap, shows you disrespect the "1st come 1st serve" philosophy. You would have to have quite a big ego to override that.

This also presumes you have to go to the same restaurant again and again and so the waitor/tress personally knows or remembers you enough that you pay high tips.

Most times I go to the same restaurant it's likely going to be a different person each time. And in another year or 2, half the employees are new.

Strange.

I'm more likely to build personal relationships with grocery store cashiers, preferably where they allow their employees to show cleavage if they want - like Target. ;d
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois > Chicago